Xbox 720 Reveal

I suspect that Sony is sabotaging MS somewhere.

I read this

A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing. 

REALLY???

Hopefully this world has no idiots left, because otherwise I can see the first month a deluge of people that DO NOT have broadband raging on their forums...but then...where exactly is MS getting their information???

For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps).  In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

Errrr...a Japanese or Korean company???  Are you certain they didn't mean average Japanese or Korean connection...cause when I've visited parts of China, Africa, India, and several other portions of the world, some which I'd rather not see again (inclusive very much of some parts of Africa)...their connections were lucky to even be dial up...if they even existed in some of those areas.....

I think MIT is in league with those bloody Hawaiians out of Cambridge, MA who look at all those Japanese and Koreans and drool about bribery from Sony so that they'll blatantly sabotage MS's next console...

:)

(half of this is a joke...if you know anything about Akamai you probably can tell which part).

PS:  Had to add this part...

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.  

An entire hour!!! Yeah...what a LOOOOONG TIME!!!! Yeeehaaaaww...and even then...they will "allow" me to watch TV and movies...I'm almost floored with how much they let me do...next they'll say that I can even PAY them for that privilege and earn tropys JUST FOR WATCHING TV!!!!

Edited by greylord

I am starting to wonder if MS is betting that Sony will go bankrupt before PS4 launches, or its stock get low enough that MS can buy them outright because there's literally nothing about the on3 that is better than a PS4 so far as I can tell.

REALLY???

Hopefully this world has no idiots left, because otherwise I can see the first month a deluge of people that DO NOT have broadband raging on their forums...but then...where exactly is MS getting their information???

Well, that's probably why they want to stick the camera in your living room... and then send all of it to NSA: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/ :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yes.

It says just after the Forza picture, in the 3rd paragraph.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Ah.  Yeah, as the article states, it's definitely a "casual piracy" prevention measure.  It's funny because, for me, install off the disc is 10000x more appealing that running off the disc (both as a dev and a player!), but it'd be trivially easy to not pay for games simply by mass installing it everywhere (just like PCs back in the day).  End up with the "communal" pool where everyone chips in to buy a game haha.

This likely doesn't affect me (mostly because I'm unlikely to buy the console in general), but I'm curious if they come up with solutions for people in the military and the like.  I do think that MS has an opportunity to leverage this restriction into other benefits (stuff like online reselling of games/license transfer and so forth), which I think would be a positive for the system.

For myself, I'm curious how they'll do for games.  If there's enough exclusives, will people ultimately capitulate?

I do agree that this will place innate restrictions on MS's install base.  Though if the connectivity leads to excessive use of digital purchasing, it could potentially still be better for their bottom line.

On a more serious note, consoles already have something similar.  On the PS3 you already can buy many games (for example, you can buy all 3 mass effect games on the PS3, ME1 for 14.99, ME2 for 19.99 and I think ME3 is currently in the 20s or 30s, would have to recheck).  When you purchase on a PS3 you actually can have it on two systems and that's it.  So in a way it's that light DRM that one could talk about.  HOWEVER, you can transfer your accounts for free as long as you do it before the PS3 dies (I did have a PS3 that died and transferal didn't work out so well) AND you don't have to be connected to play what you bought normally (THOUGH THERE HAVE BEEN SOME PROBLEMS WITH GAMES GOTTEN VIA PSN NETWORK as in the free games offered via PSN).

I expect PS4 to actually have a system similar to that.  At least with games bought online, in order to transfer games, you have to do it via your accounts with deactivating it on a console online before activating it elsewhere.  You will still be able to play them offline without ET calling home I expect, unless the publisher is wanting that (same as with how it already works on PS3, most decide NOT to have ET phone home, but there are games on PSN that you get that sometimes DO require you to do that, or even be online to play).  With disks, I expect it will be more like it is now as well, where you will be able to play without activations...BUT...if you d/l the free dlc or other items than with some games that will leave a big blank without being online (this actually caused a furor with one game if I recall, with the PS3).

Steam can be even better.  Unless it's an mmorpg I don't think you have to be online at all for most of the games after you activate it.  They already have that sort of having to be online to activate a game, but once you have activated it, it's yours.  In addition, with a PC you can watch TV shows on many sites and other items. 

In light of that, I'm not certain what Xbox One will be offering that will be more appealing with it's services than the PC, and even more so, than it's direct competitor the PS4.  The biggest way out I think is if they offer a big hit of a GoW game, a Halo game, and perhaps some turn based Japanese RPG and Western RPG (since Sony strangely enough seems to have taken a downturn in offering some of those to the point that some of the best turn based RPGs actually were supposedly released on the Xbox this gen) that it gets a LOT of people to get one for the exclusives.

(Then again, I guess that is one item you mentioned in your last two sentences there).

So it's looking like Sony are going to make an arseload of cash by saying the all right things, like no 24hr security checks, no region locking and no blocking of used games...I'll end up getting one but who else wonders if they'll start screwing us over through firmware updates once they've established a user base?

So it's looking like Sony are going to make an arseload of cash by saying the all right things, like no 24hr security checks, no region locking and no blocking of used games...I'll end up getting one but who else wonders if they'll start screwing us over through firmware updates once they've established a user base?

I'm not worried about that. They're obviously seeing the possibility of making a PS1 style invasion of the market, becoming the dominant force in this cycle (mass effect reference semi-accidental) by going for the xbone's jugular straight out of the gate.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Can someone explain to me, apart from DRM issues, why always online is beneficial to the gamer?

Microsoft can keep an eye on you (literally) and keep you safe from the boogeyman.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, Metal Gear Solid V will eventually be released for PC, too.

Of course, we are developing on a PC, so we look forward to releasing something on the PC sometime.

But right now we don't have a release date, we aren't really looking to doing that right now, its not really a priority.

We are making it, and we hope to put it out as well.

In other words, 99% guaranteed.

Edited by Morgoth

Can someone explain to me, apart from DRM issues, why always online is beneficial to the gamer?

For the same reason playing Company of Heroes 2 is beneficial when playing online.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Derp.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It isn't actually being done for the benefit of the player of course, but there are arguable benefits. It's the same sort of thing that people say in favour of steam- automatic always up to date games, ease of use, ability to integrate features that require online access, social features etc. Really though, they might as well have made it always online and got those 'benefits' locked in rather than making in so they have to cater to those who do only log on once a day. They won't pick up many people who are "it's an online console, but just once day so that's okay!" over those who'd just be ok with an online console full stop.

With the exception, that Valve said before, they would patch steam games, if the steam ever get's offline...

I think it will go only for their own games, but despite being anti-steam customer, Valve is for me more trustworthy company than MS...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

That 'quote' from Valve doesn't ever seem to actually have a source- beyond recursion. It's not really relevant anyway due to the differences between the on3 and steam.

But will rofl if steambox comes with a on3 equivalent scheme. I suspect some people may slightly alter their views on the matter if that were to happen.

• Like 2

That 'quote' from Valve doesn't ever seem to actually have a source- beyond recursion. It's not really relevant anyway due to the differences between the on3 and steam.

But will rofl if steambox comes with a on3 equivalent scheme. I suspect some people may slightly alter their views on the matter if that were to happen.

You mean people would gobble it without a seconds doubt?

I do believe so, yes.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think it quite normal to run games under development on pc, especially when console which game is aimed is not yet in the market. And especially when game is not even from the console maker (in this case from MS or it's studios).