RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Funny teaser for that BL2 DLC. Tiny Tina can be grating (and I'm sure some SJW is revving up to comment on the character being racist or something again) and she'll be narrating this.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Tina - for the annoying factor, not for being racist - but my mind is conjuring up all kinds of Gearbox D&D humor for that DLC. :lol: I hope Claptrap is part of it. Hopefully it'll be good...and a bit longer than the last DLC.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Y'know, all this talk about BL2 combined with some record boredom (I would say I've played fewer hours as a percentage of time this year than any year in the past two decades) means I might bite on it for $10 (Gamersgate daily deal). Would be the first pure FPS I've bought in over a decade I think.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Y'know, all this talk about BL2 combined with some record boredom (I would say I've played fewer hours as a percentage of time this year than any year in the past two decades) means I might bite on it for $10 (Gamersgate daily deal). Would be the first pure FPS I've bought in over a decade I think.

Dang! That's a great price for it.

I wouldn't call it a pure FPS though. It does have a RPG-like leveling system, with classes, and you gain abilities like you would on WoW.

ClapTrap.gif

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

The comments made me laugh.

I do find it interesting that the first order of complaint many seemed to have is that we'd include homosexual relationships.  Surely that's not the principle reason we're evil!?

I do find it interesting that the first order of complaint many seemed to have is that we'd include homosexual relationships.  Surely that's not the principle reason we're evil!?

Hehe.

I must admit my first reaction was "Oh God, Space Marines love interests with emotional trauma..."

;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

The relationship thing I am *much* more accepting of, as being a valid criticism.  (Blame BG2... they tossed it in on a whim and it was an absurdly resounding success).

I'm not really a fan of most romances in games either, but I just shake my head that the specificity of a lot of complaints extends beyond simply ANY romances, but rather the *gay* romances specifically.

Maybe 40k would actually be a good thing for Bioware. The setting does not really allow for the formula the studio seems to be trapped with. This could be a chance to try something different.

Even though it sounds like a hoax ;)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

That's... terrible.

I await to hear Space Marine daddy issues and how the Emperor abandoned them when they were only 75 years of age and three meters tall.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

You're evil because you make bad games that are steadily getting worse.

Also, there are no gays in WH40K. Not even the elves are gay, only slightly effeminate. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

How does gay and slightly effeminate relate to each other except in 70's stereotypes? I like my sexual partners to be round and soft and smooth, I have no illusions that I'm not the sissy in the gay man/straight man dichotomy.

Maybe 40k would actually be a good thing for Bioware. The setting does not really allow for the formula the studio seems to be trapped with. This could be a chance to try something different.

Even though it sounds like a hoax ;)

Pfft. That would'nt stop them from shoehorning their formula in.

And I seriously doubt that Bioware is competent enough to make a proper WH40K game, the gay romance complaints though, that's just juvenile.

You're evil because you make bad games that are steadily getting worse.

Also, there are no gays in WH40K. Not even the elves are gay, only slightly effeminate. 

Slaanesh. 'Nuff said.

I do think this rumor sounds really out there, and the blogger mixes between Space Marine and Warhammer 40K Dark Millenium aswell, as if it's all the same game.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Bioware is like a necrotising disease, it will slowly rot and destroy any franchise it buys with saccharine fan-service, deus ex plotting and interminable cut-scenes of sensitive space marines having energetic diaper-sex.

Edit: This comment made me chuckle

I'd prefer my uncle to develop it, he'd do a better job - And he's a ****ing plumber.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I was partial to this one myself.

What I expect from a Bioware Space Marine game:

You play as a Space Marine who just got selected to work with the Death Watch. During your adventures in the Death Watch, you find many new allies. Among them is an Eldar romance option, a Tau as your best friend and an Ork freebooter as a comic relief character. Then in the end of the game you get the option to destroy all the Tyranid hive fleets with either a red explosion, a blue explosion or a green explosion. The red explosion will destroy the Tyranid. The blue explosion will give you control over the Tyranid hive fleets and the green explosion will link all of humanity and all other xenos to the Tyranid hive, creating one big happy family!
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Is...is this a nightmare?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I didn't care a lot for the last one. Someone yelling "SPACE MARINES!" every 5 - 10 seconds or so. Comically losing your jetpack for no good reason, other than game design; bad design at that. Anything will be better than that one.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

281231_md-Heresy%20Stamp.png

Hopefully it's just a load of BS, but one never knows. Might make something similar to the first game but with some more story elements, if it is true. Whatever the core Bioware is, not one of their spinoffs in EA, doing a 40K RPG though would be pretty meh.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was somewhat remotely interested until I was shown an old Kotaku article about the behind-the-scenes drama that occurred in Silicon Knights during X-Men: Destiny's development.

tl;dr: Denis Dyack's relationship with publishers can be called parasitic at best, even if Nintendo's hands-on approach to quality control with Eternal Darkness and the Metal Gear Solid port might have been the crucial element in the games' success.

Dyack likes to call himself a "benevolent dictator" during staff meetings, he didn't pay the slightest amount of attention to the theater reviews during development, he'd be gone for months at a time, he deliberately slowed down X-Men Destiny development to get more funding and time, most of the experienced employees (over 40 of them) quit because of the negative atmosphere and Dennis Dyack initially planned to take these people's names off the credit list (Now they're in "special thanks" section).

He was completely screwing with Activision according to the several ex-employees who anonymously gave information about the development. Did not answer Activision's inquiries about the project's progress, whatever progress he showed, was with game concepts and art assets rather than anything that looked like a proper game. He promises the moon from the heavens in his pitches, but does absolutely nothing to commit to it. Only when Activision released a game trailer with Silicon Knight's name attached to it, did they start getting a small percentage of their **** together.

Another source expands on what they saw as "SK management's fundamental belief of how the industry works." This belief revolves around the principle of "getting the initial contract signed for a fairly low amount. They want to get the contractual and financial hooks into the publisher. This is accomplished by promising massive worlds, epic player-controlled stories, and an overall ‘fantastical' experience. They leverage this by talking about Eternal Darkness endlessly." The GameCube game's critical acclaim and respectable sales fostered trust and faith among publishers, the source said. This approach had has earned SK projects at least three times: with Sega, Microsoft, and Activision.

So anyone, absolutely anyone who would like to have another Eternal Darkness game, think thrice before giving a cent to Dyack

• Like 1

As for the BioWare and the Space Marine thing: Officially speaking there are now only three BioWare studios left (Edmonton, Montreal and Austin....the former studios under the Bioware umbrella have resumed with their old names), and we do know that Montreal is busy with Mass Effect Next while Edmonton works on Dragon Age 3 and a new IP (confirmed several times). Austin I think is just keeping TOR alive, so I don't really know where they'd put a 40K game into their schedule? Perhaps after the DA3 team is finished, but there I hoped they'd then go on with a Jade Empire sequel.

Well, time shall tell. But certainly BioWare acquiring the license is not a thing out of this world as quite frankly, after learning that Gearbox acquired the Homeworld license, that was much more of a shocker than anybody could have absorbed.

Edited by Morgoth

Personally I'd find Bioware with the Warhammer licence absolutely hilarious, and if my idea for a dynamo powered by refined butthurt comes to fruition, quite profitable too. It's not like there ain't connections, the WH MMO was done by EA and I hear that a Bioware employee was recently seen getting stuff signed by a prominent space marine. Unfortunately it's an unsourced "trust me guys, I got the good oil" post from a blog, so meh. Internet being the internet I won't have to wait long to try out my dynamo idea though.