RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

The man is proposing making games precisely opposite to the type you name. That's why he's destined to fail.

Skyrim, CoD, GTA are all updates of older games that sold well at some point. That's exactly the dominant way of thinking in the industry and the reason its not likely to go the place he's talking about.

The point he was trying to make is that with current limited memory in a console (512MB RAM), you can't make Triple-A games any better or more interesting, that's why new hardware will enable new game design that weren't possible before, and thus invigorating the core game market.

Meh, they'll just make it look shinier.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

New GTA V trailer:

Sooooo...  Michael is Tommy Vercetti, Franklin is CJ, and Trevor is...  a redneck Brucie Kibbutz?

I already knew they were recycling the setting, now they're recycling characters too?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

GTA V makes me all confoozled. Vice City remains the only GTA I've finished, yet I really really enjoyed L.A. Noire... I'm wondering if it'll be more of a "life simulator" like GTA IV was or more of a story focused one. Ok, I'm less wondering about it and more hoping for the latter...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sooooo...  Michael is Tommy Vercetti, Franklin is CJ, and Trevor is...  a redneck Brucie Kibbutz?

I already knew they were recycling the setting, now they're recycling characters too?

Considering how diverse their characters have been from GTA 3, VC, SA till 4, they were bound to recycle some aspects, but even with that in mind - I think you're reaching here.

Fortune favors the bald.

The primary audiences, the kids, teenagers, casual players is where the money is.

Right. That must also explain why Fallout 3, Skyrim, CoD GTA etc. all sell so terrible. Oh wait.

And these are all sophisticated, clever games that are beyond a teenagers ability to appreciate?

The man is proposing making games precisely opposite to the type you name. That's why he's destined to fail.

Skyrim, CoD, GTA are all updates of older games that sold well at some point. That's exactly the dominant way of thinking in the industry and the reason its not likely to go the place he's talking about.

Drowsy I am very concerned by your apparent jaded view on the future of PC gaming, you seem to be missing some fundamental developments. 3 years ago we were cursed by this almost inexorable  deluge of simplistic PC and Console hybrid games forced on us by various large companies. These games were  generally lacking in depth and complexities. Now KS has changed all that, we are seeing the rebirth of PC games with gameplay and functionality we have all been waiting for. This is an era of PC inventiveness without the influence of publishers, I would argue we are about to enter the most exciting time for PC gaming. You should running down the streets singing and dancing....singing and dancing. The future looks good :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Meh, they'll just make it look shinier.

We already established that making things shinier alone won't do it any longer.

Please remember that this is human beings that you're talking about. They will try.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Drowsy I am very concerned by your apparent jaded view on the future of PC gaming, you seem to be missing some fundamental developments. 3 years ago we were cursed by this almost inexorable  deluge of simplistic PC and Console hybrid games forced on us by various large companies. These games were  generally lacking in depth and complexities. Now KS has changed all that, we are seeing the rebirth of PC games with gameplay and functionality we have all been waiting for. This is an era of PC inventiveness without the influence of publishers, I would argue we are about to enter the most exciting time for PC gaming. You should running down the streets singing and dancing....singing and dancing. The future looks good :)

You are needlessly optimistic. It's an industry, after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You are needlessly optimistic. It's an industry, after all.

And like any other industry, it cannot just rely on making money, and *only* money alone. It also needs new ideas, a new impetus, new creative juice, daring risks. After all, that's how mankind makes progress. If it's *all* just about making money, then everything we do would be pointless. We would be walking eat-and-**** machines.

Edited by Morgoth

And like any other industry, it cannot just rely on making money, and *only* money alone. It also needs new ideas, a new impetus, new creative juice, daring risks. After all, that's how mankind makes progress. If it's *all* just about making money, then everything we do would be pointless. We would be walking eat-and-**** machines.

Well only needs all that new stuff if it's not making money, no ? And they're still making a good amount of that with things as they are, unless I'm mistaken. I'm not disagreeing with you on the ideal of people being creative and trying new kinds of games (even stuff like Journey). I might be jaded in assuming with more memory and CPU that developers will be lazier in their approach and just pump up the polish.

Regardless, not exactly sure we're in the Kickstarter promised land or whatever BruceVC is predicting.

We've been in the promised land for awhile already.  The independent game development movement is huge right now.  It started picking up with all these online marketplaces and has simply become huge.  Kickstarter is just another chapter in that book.

Kickstarter isn't really a storefront though.

But you are right that it doesn't guarantee excellent games; odds are there will be some stinkers that get made (and good games that don't get funded).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

We've been in the promised land for awhile already.  The independent game development movement is huge right now.  It started picking up with all these online marketplaces and has simply become huge.  Kickstarter is just another chapter in that book.

i think we're almost to the promised land, we can see it just up ahead.

as soon as we start getting some truly awesome "indie" rpg's released then I'll agree that we've made it.  im very much looking forward to wasteland 2, shadowrun returns, and project eternity.

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i think we're almost to the promised land, we can see it just up ahead.

as soon as we start getting some truly awesome "indie" rpg's released then I'll agree that we've made it.  im very much looking forward to wasteland 2, shadowrun returns, and project eternity.

Yeah it's too early to call it a new golden age but it's so close you can taste it, I genuinely hope I don't get hit by a bus and miss it  :wacko:

Yes of course I accept this sentiment, we are not quite there yet but its so close....so very close. As pointed out we need to see the finished products :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This difference between the late 90s golden age and this possible "upcoming" golden age is that the "upcoming" one is a throwback to the original.  In the late 90s, it was still pushing new things.

I'm more eager to see what new things come down the pipe with the Kickstarters, rather than promises of going back to the "good old days."

• Like 1

This difference between the late 90s golden age and this possible "upcoming" golden age is that the "upcoming" one is a throwback to the original.  In the late 90s, it was still pushing new things.

I'm more eager to see what new things come down the pipe with the Kickstarters, rather than promises of going back to the "good old days."

Hi Alan :)

Where have you been?

I agree with you, I want to elaborate a little on my point

Firstly I want to stress the fact I am not opposed to Publishers in general as there are many Publishers who add immense value and provide us with excellent games,

But the era we are going into is like taking some of the best developers in the industry at the moment and saying " design a game like you want to with no external pressure except for recommendations from fans"

So the potential doesn't get better than this :)

John Milton