Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Just watched the 2000 version of the Great gatsby in preparation of the 2013 version. Holy crap! That was... subpar.... to be polite. I'd rate it 5/10  Tom, Gatsby, Wilson, and a few other characters was some of the worst acting I have ever seen.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There was a 2000 Gatsby? Never saw that one. The Redford one has plenty of faults too, but I still liked it.

I saw some low budget thriller/horror with Val Kilmer last night, called the The Traveler. For the type of film it is, it started off almost promisingly, but then devolved rapidly into a groan-inducing predictable cliche fest. And Val Kilmer's performance was making me giggle...not that he had much to do, really. The best thing about the film was looking at this one chr. for the whole movie, thinking "who is that guy? I know that guy." ... turns out it was the doctor from Stargate Atlantis.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Forgot to add: I finally made myself watch the 2nd Sherlock movie (Game of Shadows). The first one was at least ok, but the sequel...yikes. The guy playing Moriarty was all right, but I mean come on ... the movie ... even allowing for creative differences/a new age of movie-making etc., that's not even close to Sherlock. :verymad: I didn't even like it as an action movie. Ludicrous.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There's been a lot of Gatsby films made. I haven't watched them all personally. I know I watch the '74 which was good and now the 2000 version. I cna't remember if I actually watched the '49 version. There was also the original late 20s one but outside of a short trailer it no longer exists.  Another 200ish one was simply called G and  had an all black cast. I need to find that. I'm sure there are others.

2 weeks to go. Gatsby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I know you've named them all - 1926, 1949, 1974, 2000 TV movie, G in 2002 and 2013.

Trailer for the lost 1926 version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asajgm-ciWA which was adapted from a stage play version of the novel rather than the novel itself.  Neil Hamilton (better known to TV audiences as Commissioner Gordon in the 1960s Batman TV show but who was a matinee idol in the silent film era) plays Nick Carraway in this version

I watched THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS (BKA The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists in large portions of the world).  I thought it was pretty amusing stuff; kind of fun to try and guess the voices too.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oblivion.

The first thing I said to my wife when the lights came on, and I woke her up, was "that sucked". My stance has since softened a bit to "it was alright". The movie was over-long but I didn't see the "twist" coming until the end.

I kind of liked it, but I thought the first twist was given away in the trailer.  What I'd consider the second twist, I didn't see coming, however, until the end.  Probably was a bit over-long though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What did you consider the first twist?

That Jack was a clone? I didn't see that one coming either . In addition, I didn't see the twist that the Earth had really lost the war and the planet was now being strip mined. Having never showed the aliens, do you feel they were an AI?

What did you consider the first twist?

That Jack was a clone? I didn't see that one coming either . In addition, I didn't see the twist that the Earth had really lost the war and the planet was now being strip mined. Having never showed the aliens, do you feel they were an AI?

The first twist was that the Earth had lost and that Cruise and the other woman were working for the aliens.  The second was that they were actually part of a clone army.  So I guessed the first from the trailers, didn't guess the second.  I never really gave much consideration to what the alien was, but an AI made sense (given the automation they had).

EDIT:

Where in the name of spiderman's swinging nutsack is the button for spoilers?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm curious about Oblivion but I'll wait for the Blu Ray, on the other hand I'm quite excited for the new Star Trek movie, my cousin has convinced me to go and see it next month.  I enjoyed the first one even if I took issue with some of the akshun moovy nonsense and glaring lens flares, I'd guess some fancy new plugin had been released that year...

I kind of liked Oblivion too and also felt that it had some pacing issues.

I'm a little wary of the new Star Trek movie as I'm afraid it's going to be even more into "action movie set in Star Trek universe" territory. If that makes any sense

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Its under the dropdown menu when you select the "Special BBCode" button.

[spoiler][/spoiler]works as well

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Just watched the '49 version of Gatsby. Many things were changed espicially certain characters but thanks to the uniformly strong acting the movie held up quality wise. Not great but not horrible. 7/10

I'm so pumped up for this movie. I cna't even remember the last time I was soe xicited to watch something. Latest tv trailer is out and it's another awesomesauce obe. They really are bringing the cting and DRAMAZ and fancy over the top glitz to this version. :p @ number of flowers!

Link:

I've been enjoying "Da Vinci's Demons" quite much, specially since I really like the stories surrounding the actual Da Vinci.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Ender's Game trailer

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176749-warner-bros-plans-a-dungeons-a-dragons-reboot

Warner Brothers rebooting Dungeons and Dragons.

I wish someone would do either Dragonlance or some sort of Forgotten Realms movie instead of a generic D&D movie. Dragonlance with a Lord of the Rings budget would be epic.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I watched Carnage by Roman Polanski. Delightful.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I've never read Ender's Game so despite the trailer it'd still be a surprise to me.

Lately every time I see Harrison Ford, all I can think is that his voice makes him sound like he's 200 years old. It's great that at 70 he's still hale enough to make a movie, but don't these super rich actors ever feel like retiring and relaxing? :lol: