Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

If he didn't have seniority it would be undeniable.

That's what the "S" really stands for!

I know the problem with Superman being too powerful and that isn't cool anymore, but I still like him. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I know the problem with Superman being too powerful and that isn't cool anymore, but I still like him. :p

I just had the Hulk ruined for me for the same reason. I recently read the World War Hulk series and by the end of that the Hulk single handedly defeats the most powerful being in the Marvel universe, Sentry.

I still like Superman; I don't think his powers or really an issue if the writer thinks about the story. The best Superman stories are when he uses his brains to out-think a villain.

(I'd also argue the Hulk works best when he isn't smart so that becomes his challenge to overcome).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What about 

I just had the Hulk ruined for me for the same reason. I recently read the World War Hulk series and by the end of that the Hulk single handedly defeats the most powerful being in the Marvel universe, Sentry.

I raise you Galactus. I mean he travels around the universe consuming worlds. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I raise you Galactus. I mean he travels around the universe consuming worlds.

Already fought him to a stalemate.

Sentry.

Powers and abilities:

Although the character's exact abilities and their limits are unknown, he has been shown to lift a Helicarrier (with assistance from Ms. Marvel and Wonder Man);[44] effortlessly defeat and break the handle of the axe of Terrax,[42] a herald of Galactus shown as powerful enough to slice planets in half (although at the time Sentry fought him, his full power level was not evident);[45] severely pummel and nearly tear apart the female Ultron,[46] and easily shatter shields of Doctor Doom.[14] During the Sentry's initial miniseries, Spider-Man, in a moment of reflection, recalls that the Sentry fought and stalemated Galactus at one point.[47]

He generally greatly restrains his full power,[48] but when unleashing it he has even overloaded the Absorbing Man;[48] and fought an extremely enraged Hulk for a prolonged time until both fighters reverted to their human forms, whereupon Reynolds collapsed.[19][49] He possesses superhuman speed, making him easily able to evade or catch bullets; and through flight he can travel to the sun and back in a matter of minutes. The Sentry is also apparently invulnerable: Spider-Woman's venom blasts, capable of killing even superhumans at full power, have no effect upon him.[50] Nick Fury has stated that S.H.I.E.L.D. has not yet found a way to kill the Sentry,[citation needed] and Iron Man's scanners have found no physical weaknesses in his body.[citation needed]

The Sentry also has superhumanly acute senses, as he once told an opponent that he could see his nerve centers. He can emit light, which can be used for a pacifying effect, and possesses powers of tremendous energy projection, from both his hands and eyes,[51] capable of harming even the Hulk (in his Green Scar incarnation), who has withstood the equivalent of solar flares unharmed[19], and also released planet destroying energy against Genis-Vell. The Sentry has also at times demonstrated the ability to instantly teleport himself away in a blinding flash of light.[52][53][54]

He was once able to implant his memories inside another person's mind, and uses his allegedly vast mental powers to hold his physical form together. After Ultron murdered his wife, Sentry was able to resurrect her by simply touching her.[46] His main weakness may be that he's been shown as susceptible to mental manipulation.[14]

The Sentry has demonstrated the ability to recreate himself after bodily destruction, up to and including total molecular destruction within seconds (he once tried to commit suicide by flying into the heart of the sun). Dialogue between Reynolds and the Void suggests that this particular capability is automatic, involuntary, and beyond the control of either Roberts or the Void.[55]

He eventually found out that all his powers apparently derive from abilities similar to those of the virtually omnipotent Molecule Man, which he uses to take control of the latter's body and resurrect himself multiple times after seemingly being annihilated, but he is not as experienced in manipulating reality yet.[56]

During a conversation between Lindy, CLOC, and the Void, it is hinted that the Sentry's powers may come from a cosmic source, or possibly even from the Judeo-Christian God, with Lindy believing that his powers were of "maybe Biblical proportions" and theorizing that modern-day superheroes were conduits through which such higher power was now being channeled.[31] When Steve Rogers demands that Norman Osborn tell him how the heroes are to stop the Void, Osborn says (albeit possibly figuratively) that the Void was the 'Angel of Death';[37] an earlier Biblical flashback also revealed that the being that brought the divine plagues down on Egypt was apparently similar in appearance to the Void, who, millennia later, claims to the Sentry when attacking New York that doing so is 'God's way'.[31] The Watcher himself confirms that the Void is indeed the "Angel of Death", and it is shown, when fully unleashing its true power, able to easily decimate the Earth and its Moon, and seemingly threaten the cosmos themselves.[5

Its not me calling him the most powerful, that's what he was referred to in the World War Hulk series, possessing the "power of one million exploding suns". Really felt like a "jump the shark" moment when Hulk defeated Sentry in the comic.

I would argue Sentry defeated himself. He brought his full power to bear on himself and Hulk, taking himself out and reverting Hulk to Banner, who gets up. Hulk can withstand pretty much anything, but he couldn't dish out enough to take down Sentry.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I would argue Sentry defeated himself. He brought his full power to bear on himself and Hulk, taking himself out and reverting Hulk to Banner, who gets up. Hulk can withstand pretty much anything, but he couldn't dish out enough to take down Sentry.

Why do you feel Sentry can be damaged by his own powers? I don't recall anything like that being suggested in the WWH series. In fact, he was unleashing so much energy he was about to destroy Manhattan before Hulk knocked him out. Or are you saying he expended so much energy that he was "spent" and reverted to his normal form?

Sentry always defeated himself. Usually by non-action - The Avengers got their assess handed to them by Black Bolt which wouldn't have happened had the Sentry not decided that to act and fight BB would risk unleashing the Void IIRC.

Given that he'd never unleash the full brunt of his powers on Hulk at the start of the fight - which is the only way he'd win - I think the fight (really fought to a tie) is reasonable.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sentry always defeated himself. Usually by non-action - The Avengers got their assess handed to them by Black Bolt which wouldn't have happened had the Sentry not decided that to act and fight BB would risk unleashing the Void IIRC.

Given that he'd never unleash the full brunt of his powers on Hulk at the start of the fight - which is the only way he'd win - I think the fight (really fought to a tie) is reasonable.

Hmm, maybe I should go back and reread the fifth comic in the series because I thought he did unleash his full power on the Hulk. Even going so far as to say (paraphrasing); "so this is what it feels like to finally let go". I agree about his inaction, it made me laugh that he spent 29 hours standing in his doorway trying to decide to get involved or not.

Hmm, maybe I should go back and reread the fifth comic in the series because I thought he did unleash his full power on the Hulk. Even going so far as to say (paraphrasing); "so this is what it feels like to finally let go".

I think he did - but I don't think he did at the beginning of the fight (as I recall - I might be wrong).

The going theory on the Hulk at the moment is the angrier he gets, the stronger he gets. As Gorgon said there's no upper bound on this.

So unless, at the beginning of the fight (Act I, Scene I) Sentry uses all of his power, he's going to only at best be able to tie the Hulk (which he did as they both ended up exhausted and out of their powered up forms). The longer the fight goes, the stronger the Hulk will be.

Edited by Amentep

Im following you now. Yeah, the Hulk had already defeated The Avengers, The Fantastic Four and various solo superheroes before he took on Sentry so he was already at max rage and growing.

Superman also has no upper limit, right? Doesn't he just continuously gain in power as long as he is exposed to a yellow sun or has he been depowered a bit at this point? I wonder who would win in a battle between Hulk and Superman.

Im following you now. Yeah, the Hulk had already defeated The Avengers, The Fantastic Four and various solo superheroes before he took on Sentry so he was already at max rage and growing.

Superman also has no upper limit, right? Doesn't he just continuously gain in power as long as he is exposed to a yellow sun or has he been depowered a bit at this point? I wonder who would win in a battle between Hulk and Superman.

Superman has been vastly depowered.

Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Kryptonians could move planets (and in some cases, suns) around if they really wanted to. This they did with their hands.

Post-Crisis Kryptonians are just, very, very strong but can't really move a planet on their own.

Officially in DC vs Marvel Superman beats the Hulk (very controversial though). My guess would be Hulk wins in a physical fight on the ground, Superman wins if he can get Hulk into outer space (Hulk still needs to breathe, IIRC, Superman doesn't*).

(*or holds his breath a really long time, depending on which version of Superman we're talking about although a few versions have had him using a breather in space).

Hulk?Sentry?DC vs Marvel?
When did this thread got full of awesome?

@Ametep: Did they ever say whether the Hulk's gamma radiation affected Superman in any way?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

As far as I know the Gamma radiation didn't effect Superman, but also as far as I recall Hulk hasn't really been shown to be actively giving off gamma rays.

I seem to recall Radiation Roy in pre-Crisis trying his power on Superboy and it not working and he was shown to emit Gamma rays so my thinking is that pre-Crisis Superman at least wouldn't be effected.

My expertise in that area is limited. :p

Im following you now. Yeah, the Hulk had already defeated The Avengers, The Fantastic Four and various solo superheroes before he took on Sentry so he was already at max rage and growing.Superman also has no upper limit, right? Doesn't he just continuously gain in power as long as he is exposed to a yellow sun or has he been depowered a bit at this point? I wonder who would win in a battle between Hulk and Superman.

Superman has been vastly depowered.Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Kryptonians could move planets (and in some cases, suns) around if they really wanted to. This they did with their hands.Post-Crisis Kryptonians are just, very, very strong but can't really move a planet on their own.Officially in DC vs Marvel Superman beats the Hulk (very controversial though). My guess would be Hulk wins in a physical fight on the ground, Superman wins if he can get Hulk into outer space (Hulk still needs to breathe, IIRC, Superman doesn't*).(*or holds his breath a really long time, depending on which version of Superman we're talking about although a few versions have had him using a breather in space).
True, but the New52 also has seemed to have changed things as well. Recently Superman did the equivalent of bench-pressing the earth for five days straight and only produced one drop of sweat so......DC reboots huh.

Also, the Hulk doesn't need to breathe, he has survived the vacuum of space before.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hulk?Sentry?DC vs Marvel?

When did this thread got full of awesome?

I don't know, but the existing comics thread never got this good. I blame the OP's European bias.

@Ametep: Did they ever say whether the Hulk's gamma radiation affected Superman in any way?

It shouldn't. The only radiation that effects Superman comes from kryptonite or a red sun.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I stand corrected then on Hulk in vacuums; I blame my memory. :)

I don't remember the Superman bit in the new 52 - was that in Lobdell's Superman or Morrison's Action (or some other book?)

I stand corrected then on Hulk in vacuums; I blame my memory. :) I don't remember the Superman bit in the new 52 - was that in Lobdell's Superman or Morrison's Action (or some other book?)

It was in Lobdell's title, the only reason I knew about it is because it was shown in a BC article a few months ago.

You know what, this Superman vs Hulk is an old argument. New question: Who's smarter Clark Kent or Bruce Banner?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

You know what, this Superman vs Hulk is an old argument. New question: Who's smarter Clark Kent or Bruce Banner?

Well that all depends on the Superman writer and continuity. Generally though, I would say Bruce Banner.

IIRC, a kryptonian's intelligence increased steadily under a yellow sun, so Clark was a genius in certain continuity.

Banner has always been depicted as extremely intelligent, and is on par with Tony Stark and Reed Richards, who are considered two of the smartest people on the planet.

Well that all depends on the Superman writer and continuity. Generally though, I would say Bruce Banner.

IIRC, a kryptonian's intelligence increased steadily under a yellow sun, so Clark was a genius in certain continuity.

Banner has always been depicted as extremely intelligent, and is on par with Tony Stark and Reed Richards, who are considered two of the smartest people on the planet.

I'd say that he's smarter than Tony Stark but still somewhat lower than Pym and I don't think there is anyone who can match Reed's scientific knowledge.

IDK what Superman has done intellectually, but I remember that delightful ark involving a depowered Bruce Banner with just his brains as a weapon. Too bad it didn't last long.

village_idiot.gif

Silver-Age Superman built all kinds of super-science stuff, but it was all very wacky silver-age stuff as compared to the Kirby-Tech of Reed Richards.

Dan Dare would thrash the lot of them.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Dan Dare would thrash the lot of them.

I dunno, Dan wasn't looking so good when Isabel "Izzy" Dare visited after becoming Smasher in Hickman's AVENGERS

:p (yeah I know its just a fun wink & nod)

I need to look into some of the Dan Dare Frank Hampson reprints from a few years back.