Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Jack Reacher wasn't quite what I was expecting. I was thinking more action-action movie. But it was a very understated thriller type movie, I guess. With a few cheesy moments. Watchable, nothing special.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What's funny with the books is that the character of Jack Reacher is a 6'4, 240 lb guy. The interesting bit was the author describes it as helping convey the sense of implacable unstopability of the character, but he was still happy with the casting of Tom Cruise in the role because he manages to convey that same sense with his own charisma rather then pure physicality.

As per usual, they droped a fair few bits from the book to cram it into a movie, but it was watchable entertainment still.

Iron Man 3 has lots of goodness to it, a few things I'm not a hundred percent happy over, notably the whole Mandarin spin out at the end. I loved the idea, and thought it was well-handled, I just wish they had used someone other then the Mandarin for that role. It almost feels as if they made it the Mandarin just to flash and distract the fans from the other side of the story (without revealing too many spoilers). Although Ben Kingsley was certainly amusing in the role towards the end.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Re the Mandarin -

I think if they'd used a character other than the Mandarin here, it'd have been a guarantee that the Mandarin would have been unseen in films. Director Black and producer Feige both indicated they felt that it was impossible to rework the Mandarin away from his "Yellow Peril" origins without making him a different character (which is actually the thought that made Black and the scriptwriters literally make him a different character in the movie)

I can't really disagree with their assessment either, to be honest.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

the author describes it as helping convey the sense of implacable unstopability of the character, but he was still happy with the casting of Tom Cruise in the role because he manages to convey that same sense with his own gibbering lunacy rather then pure physicality.

fixed

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Saw Taken on dvd for £3 as I was doing some grocery shopping today, so since I haven't actually seen it I picked it up. Watched it after dinner with a glass of port.

Hm, pretty much by the numbers thriller type but a refreshing change from that annoying plethora of shaky-cam films that were out at the same time. Nothing too flashy about the story, but Liam Neeson's presence certainly carries it beyond the basics of what's there.

Angry Liam Neeson is the only reason to see that movie. I love angry Liam Neeson.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I hope, for Volourn's possible sanity, that the new Gatsby meets his expectations and he thinks it's awesome. :lol:

"Gretzky is acting???"

Gatsby is the original!

"I hope, for Volourn's possible sanity, that the new Gatsby meets his expectations and he thinks it's awesome."

Tell me about it,  It would serve me right if I ended up hating the film. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Re the Mandarin -

I think if they'd used a character other than the Mandarin here, it'd have been a guarantee that the Mandarin would have been unseen in films. Director Black and producer Feige both indicated they felt that it was impossible to rework the Mandarin away from his "Yellow Peril" origins without making him a different character (which is actually the thought that made Black and the scriptwriters literally make him a different character in the movie)

The way they handled Mandarin in the animated movie was great. He was a chinese warlord and sorceror who's spirit was bound to 4 rings and a bracelet each ring controlling one of the 4 elements and the bracelet commanding them. I think making him magic based is a good move considering all his other villains are guys in armor. With Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2 and a Dr Strange movie in the works, its not like they can't have magic.

Aside, the new Gatsby looks pretty good, despite the book being rubbish.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Re the Mandarin -

The way they handled Mandarin in the animated movie was great. He was a chinese warlord and sorceror who's spirit was bound to 4 rings and a bracelet each ring controlling one of the 4 elements and the bracelet commanding them. I think making him magic based is a good move considering all his other villains are guys in armor. With Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2 and a Dr Strange movie in the works, its not like they can't have magic.

The issue IMO is that with the Movie franchise, they can't get away with technogibberishing magic out of the way. For a character like the Mandarin of the comics, they'd need to take a lot longer to build him up. It seems more like Tony would be playing a mind game against the Mandarin, not much punching or shooting involved. Great for a novel, comic, or even a TV series, but doesn't seem like it'd fit well within a movie format.

Admittedly I haven't seen the animated film you've stated, but that's a far different universe than the one found in the films. And even then animation generally allows you to suspend disbelief at magic being tossed around much more easily than on celluloid.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Re the Mandarin -

The issue IMO is that with the Movie franchise, they can't get away with technogibberishing magic out of the way. For a character like the Mandarin of the comics, they'd need to take a lot longer to build him up. It seems more like Tony would be playing a mind game against the Mandarin, not much punching or shooting involved. Great for a novel, comic, or even a TV series, but doesn't seem like it'd fit well within a movie format.

Admittedly I haven't seen the animated film you've stated, but that's a far different universe than the one found in the films. And even then animation generally allows you to suspend disbelief at magic being tossed around much more easily than on celluloid.

But still, they have a Dr Strange movie in the works, and if they try to explain away magic scientifically in a movie about sorcerors and demons and such, you're just going to piss people off. So magic will exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there's no reason to save it until phase 3.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They already semi-explained magic in THOR. I don't think the issue with the Mandarin is ever going to be he's a magic character.

The issue is that he is - in many people's eyes - a racist caricature, a "Yellow Peril" villain like Fu Manchu, complete with being a conquering descendant of Genghis Khan (as well as being a descendent of English nobility as well).

What they did was take the terrorist aspect of the Mandarin (who was motivated by revenge against the societies he felt had caused his family to lose their fortune) into Aldrich Killian who also wants revenge against the society that rejected him (more or less) and his scientific ideas. Essentially both are out to address the wrong that they haven't been afforded the proper status in life they feel due to them and I think that's a reasonable trade off.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I can only watch Iron Man 3 here in 3D, I ****ing hate 3D movies.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I approved of Jack Reacher. It was an old-fashioned sort of thriller, but in a good way. I am not a Lee Childs fan so I came to it with no pre-conceptions.

I also love Robert Duval and fancy Rosamund Pike.

DAD-Rosamunde-Pike2.jpg

sonsofgygax.JPG

Re the Mandarin -

But still, they have a Dr Strange movie in the works, and if they try to explain away magic scientifically in a movie about sorcerors and demons and such, you're just going to piss people off. So magic will exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there's no reason to save it until phase 3.

True, but my point wasn't that a magic character wouldn't work totally. But more that a magic character wouldn't work against Tony due to the way that his franchise has been going and what people expect from an Iron Man movie.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think having a Magic vs Technology conflict would be perfect for Iron Man.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I approved of Jack Reacher. It was an old-fashioned sort of thriller, but in a good way. I am not a Lee Childs fan so I came to it with no pre-conceptions.

I also love Robert Duval and fancy Rosamund Pike.

DAD-Rosamunde-Pike2.jpg

The scene where Cruise takes his shirt off and she is cowered and overwhelmed like she was staring into a musculous sun is hilarious. Whatever the director meant that to be didn't work. I think the intention was for Jack Reacher to be an old fashioned man's man. Trouble is no one believes Tom Cruise is one. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm gonna write a whole thread for my review of the Great Gatsby as I plan to use spoils but overall, it was as great as I expected. I do have some complaints though.. the biggest being I wish Luhrman had bigger ballz... That is all. :)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hm, and on the movie news and rumours front.. apparently David Goyer is at work on a Count of Monte Cristo script while he's been writing/producing Da Vinci's Demons.

Now the man who helped write with Christopher Nolan for Batman and also wrote Superman.. is apparently spinning a few ideas for the "19th century version of a Dark Knight".

Tony, throughout the movie, occassionally narrates like he's telling a story. After the credits, you see who he is telling it to. Mainly, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, who is playing "psychologist" for Tony and being terrible at it.

I loved Iron Man 3, though it had problems. Unlike many fans, I don't think the Mandarin's "re-imagining" was one of them because I always thought the Mandarin was a terrible character anyway, rivaling the likes of The Kangaroo as dumbest and most racist villains, and it was an interesting twist that showed the filmmakers had balls. On the other hand,

that fake death of Pepper Potts

was extremely fake, dumb and obvious that it took those balls away again. Still, I was very enterained.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Anyone manage to see the Ant Man test footage when it was leaked a while back? I think Hank needs to show his eyes, but otherwise it was pretty badass.

Devastatorsig.jpg