The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

The Witcher makes me glad I'm Polish. Subtleties and subtexts are lost in translation to a completely different language and culture. The writing is excellent in the Polish version, more so in the second game, since it doesn't adhere so strictly to the books and refrains from quoting passages from it. 

I never thought the translation was either hamfisted or campy, though i've got to admit i'm shaky on the literal meaning of the second word, but then again every individual takes his own preconceptions into any activity that he indulges in, and none of them are invalid.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/110831-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-tidbits.html

Looks pretty good (well, for promises anyway), the VATS-esque targeting of monsters is due to the research feature they'd mentioned earlier, I suppose. And I'm glad to see no QTEs :p

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Little alarmed over no changing backstory, our decisions were quite diverse in Assassins of Kings, still I suppose one could represent those choices through the appearance or exclusion of certain characters.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Little alarmed over no changing backstory, our decisions were quite diverse in Assassins of Kings, still I suppose one could represent those choices through the appearance or exclusion of certain characters.

Might be able to cheat a bit by having the action away from previous areas, so have us mucking about in Nilfgaard or some such place. do say it'll affect characters though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Apparently the playing area is in and around Novigrad capital of Redania, The Skellige Islands a viking like archipelago famous for their hatred of Nilfgaard, and the No Mans land of the war with Nilfgaard.

@Alanschu, i'm not sure the phrasing remains a little cryptic, no changing backstory only changing characters, then again I suppose you could represent an import through the characters and quests appearing to the protagonist, would be very immediate rather than expository.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm excited for the removal of QTEs and the ability to jump and climb anywhere.  Hopefully this means I will no longer be deterred from going places by a 1/2 foot tall rock outcropping.  Mixed feelings on the VATS-like system.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

@Alanschu, i'm not sure the phrasing remains a little cryptic, no changing backstory only changing characters, then again I suppose you could represent an import through the characters and quests appearing to the protagonist, would be very immediate rather than expository.

I'm actually not married to plot import (even though we do it).  I think it's an interesting challenge and if it can be pulled off really well, it can be an excellent thing (I don't think it's been done yet).

There are definitely advantages to utilizing a canon story from an earlier game, however.

i've grown to hate plot import, bioware made such a mess of it that i really lost my taste for the whole concept, i hope it dies out completely until a developer is really serious about doing it right

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I found the fistfighting QTE bearable but that's about it, so glad to hear they're away.

I was pretty pissed at the import of TW1->TW2, so I could care less about that.

The game being open world does'nt sit well with me, it's one thing to sit there in their couch proclaming this and that and criticize Skyrim, but I doubt they'll do a better job at it in the end. It does give me a spark of hope that they'll manage it, but I'm still doubtfull.

I'm pretty certain that the world will feel cramped, the only continous gameworlds I've not felt cramped in was ARMA 2, Morrowind(For some reason) and FUEL(~15000 km2) from the top of my head.

The rest does sound good though, especially the hunting part is promising!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

****, too late. :/

While I like the pictures, they're very purdy, some of them really feel... cramped. The Valley vista ones more specifically, numbered witch1 and witch4. Witch13 aswell, if you compare the size of the boats to the surroundings.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Why do I have the feeling that, with this game, CDPR is just "showing off" and (with the sandbox element) trying to cash in with Skyrim design?

I'll likely buy it anyway, but there just seems to be something that feels wrong about this one.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

That does look very nice, hopefully the narrative, plotting and characters can match the visual splendour.

Tea for the teapot!

Why do I have the feeling that, with this game, CDPR is just "showing off" and (with the sandbox element) trying to cash in with Skyrim design?

They might try to generate some extra buzz by throwing Skyrim's name around, but CDProjekt comparing Witcher to other AAA titles, especially RPGs, is nothing new. The devs almost seem to enjoy acting a bit arrogant.

Anyway, Witcher 3 had been in development soon after (possibly even before) Witcher 2's release, and that was half a year before Skyrim released. The usually dormant optimist in me wants to say that this open world aspect was pretty much planned from the get-go, especially with this whole war between Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard having a big part in the story. It makes the Vergen and La Valette battles look like bar brawls

Edited by Nordicus

They might try to generate some extra buzz by throwing Skyrim's name around, but CDProjekt comparing Witcher to other AAA titles, especially RPGs, is nothing new. The devs almost seem to enjoy acting a bit arrogant.

How are the Dev's arrogant? They acknowledge Skyrim was a good game and they all played it. But they also mentioned its shortfalls. Criticism and wanting to make a good game is not arrogance. This is the type of interview we should be wanting and expecting.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Their 'criticism' of Skyrim wasn't all that bad, article headlines aside - at least in terms of scathing, might be inaccurate to call it out for being 'generic' but I've never played it.  They're aiming to compete with AAA games, so it does stand they'd make comparisons