The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/15/comparing-the-open-world-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt.aspx

Guys here is some new information on Witcher 3 and the open world component. Watch the video :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/15/comparing-the-open-world-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt.aspx

Guys here is some new information on Witcher 3 and the open world component. Watch the video :)

Well, they certainly say all the right things.  Their critique of Skyrim is spot on.  Can CD Projekt RED deliver on those lofty promises?  I have faith that they can.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Good interviews. I liked how they were pretty candid about the criticisms directed at Witcher 2 and they seemed earnest and ambitious to make the best game possible. Though I really enjoyed Skyrim, their criticisms were fair.  If they are successful at blending open world exploration with a tight story, this will be a very special game.

The interview with the two writers were also good. I like the direction they are taking the story.

Edited by Azure79

The interview with the two writers were also good. I like the direction they are taking the story.

I went back to that interview as I had missed it, and you are right its very insightful . I notice they mention that the new Geralt will be obviously older and quite possibly less interested in sexual encounters :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I went back to that interview as I had missed it, and you are right its very insightful . I notice they mention that the new Geralt will be obviously older and quite possibly less interested in sexual encounters :)

WITCHER IN NAME ONLY

• Like 6

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"Open world"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

And while yeah, TW2 has branching plotlines I never been able to get through act I again to actually pick the alternative. Just got too annoyed and bored in the jungle and gave up, haven't returned again, even with the Enhancement cut or DLC. Maybe I should... one day.

But for now, plenty of other games. I do think TW1 was better.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Apparently that is an issue for some, game doesn't appeal to their demographic. I suppose with Geralt as the PC they're bound for the most part. Heh, maybe they should make games with Triss or someone else as the character - maybe that Bard joke game they made a trailer for earlier.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Apparently that is an issue for some, game doesn't appeal to their demographic. I suppose with Geralt as the PC they're bound for the most part. Heh, maybe they should make games with Triss or someone else as the character - maybe that Bard joke game they made a trailer for earlier.

I would say very few Bioware fans wouldn't play Witcher for the reason you mentioned, very few.

John Milton 

I can see Geralt's very masculine, stoic and almost chandlerish personality being an impediment to the Bioware people however, they usually prefer (as far as i've seen) more blatant characters and the broader squeeing humour of the Bioware archetypes, Alistair/Minsc etcetera. Though personally I found the important part of Geralt, the personality he expresses through his choices, was quite malleable.

Edit: They may regard a stoic, faux unemotional, and rather reserved tough guy personality as rather boring.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Heh, i have to say to say that i have never heard that excuse (too masculine) when it comes to gaming. Why is it even considered a negative? :lol:

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, could be negative for a woman. Or something. I was expecting some treatise on how sexist the game is rather than complaining about Geralt liking women.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've no doubt there are entire reams of accusations allready out there somewhere on the internet, from what i've seen the game could upset no end of all too delicate sensibilities. We all know how eager some people are to find even a hint of their personal bete noir, though personally I found the most despicably portrayed characters of the second game were white men such as Bernard Lordeo.

Edit: One still ocassionally sees the naked female drawing issue raised from the 2007 release of the first game.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

when i play as the nameless one in torment i feel like i am making the choices and becoming the character, i make his choices and the reactions to the choices are mine

when i play as geralt in TW i feel like I am watching geralt do stuff and i get to make many of his choices for him, but his reaction to those choices is decided by the writers

pretty different feeling imo

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Heh, i have to say to say that i have never heard that excuse (too masculine) when it comes to gaming. Why is it even considered a negative? :lol:

If it's a female gamer, perhaps.

I think one of the aspects of the Witcher series that turns some off is the protagonist is always Geralt, a male character.  If you look at the Bio boards, in particular, there's this almost obsession with wanting to be every possible species in existence.  Even the new Mass Effect game, you've got threads dedicated to being able to play as anything other than human.

As for the Witcher 3, I'm super excited about it but, I'm not following much of the development closely because it's too far away from release and I simply would rather leave it out of sight, out of mind, rather than get all pumped for a game that's still a year or so away.  It's one of the reasons, now that the initial excitement has worn off, I don't post much in the PE sub-forum.  Come March or April of next year, that will change. ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

There was a poster that came onto these boards once upon a time expressing her displeasure at Alpha Protocol only having a male character, as she always struggled with properly investing in a male character in RPGs.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not all that uncommon, but I can't say how influential it is.

I can sort of see why that would be the case, especially in a RPG where you sort of adopt the role and personality of the PC, especially when controlling how a line of dialogue goes.  For me, I stick with male characters when the option is there, mainly because it feels more natural when interacting with NPCs.

It's different in a game like Tomb Raider or Resident Evil, because you're not selecting how the character acts toward folks.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think that is a fair (if non fixable) complaint. Oddly enough I cannot recall seeing anyone complain about the reverse in TLJ/ NOLF or similar, but I guess it does happen.

My hypothesis is because a female protagonist is novel.  Now if we were to suddenly be subjected to the next 10 years of only being able to play female characters, it might be different.

Personally, I very rarely play female characters if I have the choice.  I just feel I always struggle with the concept mentally and it distracts from my experience.  Oddly, if I am forced to play as a female character, it doesn't bother me as much.  May have something to do with my perception as to what level of control I have over the character.  If I perceive that the character is "mine" the female option is more difficult.  Otherwise, it's just another character.

I don't think it's ever been a deal breaker, however.

• Like 2

I think that is a fair (if non fixable) complaint. Oddly enough I cannot recall seeing anyone complain about the reverse in TLJ/ NOLF or similar, but I guess it does happen.

My hypothesis is because a female protagonist is novel.  Now if we were to suddenly be subjected to the next 10 years of only being able to play female characters, it might be different.

I tend to think the reason is that, by and large, they are the type of female characters that men like to play, largely doing the things men like to do. A Croft/Archer are both attractive characters (in multiple respects) being a spy or a 'extreme field archaeologist', ie doing stuff that men enjoy and which is relatively 'safe'. It  might be different if an RPG had a female only lead; if Michaela Thorton had trysts with D'Arcy and Gelato Man and Brayko it might make some men a little uncomfortable. Personally, I've found playing a female lead with romantic options hilarious, but then I usually find male romance options hilarious as well.