RANDOM VIDEA GAME NEWS!

Rosbjerg

1. RTS is dying because it's a PC thing, and unless you are using STEAM which used to be only 6% of PC sales until they KILLED retail PC sales by requiring STEAM and DRM and chasing us all onto consoles...there isn't any real options of playing most RTS games.  Almost all RTS games released these days require some form of DRM (steam counts as DRM).  That killed the PC market comparatively to what it was...which in turn has killed the RTS market.

Most people don't give a **** about Steam's "DRM."

• Like 1

I'd say it's higher than you think.  The more apt thing to say is the less the a billion sales that still play games that are on STEAM don't give a **** about steam.  The several billions of dollars of sales that have departed from PC sales and gone elsewhere apparantly DID care some **** about not just STEAM, but DRM and other aspects.

PC gaming isn't dead.

Absolutely not and anyone who thinks that needs to share whatever they are smoking with me because I realllllllly want to see the world like they are seeing it

I'd say it's higher than you think.  The more apt thing to say is the less the a billion sales that still play games that are on STEAM don't give a **** about steam.  The several billions of dollars of sales that have departed from PC sales and gone elsewhere apparantly DID care some **** about not just STEAM, but DRM and other aspects.

You really think that DRM is the reason people go from PC to consoles?

@ Greylord

Can you provide some or any credible links that support your view that PC sales have suffered billions of dollars of lost revenue due to Steam or forms of DRM? You point does sound ludicrous.  Also you do realize that hundreds of thousands of people outside of USA, and other first world countries, don't use Steam at all due to bandwidth constraints.

@ Cultist

No I don't think thats a valid reason to move to consoles. Once again it sounds absurd

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not sure where your sales figures come from.

The only data I have is from a recruitment drive at my University where (ironically EA) stated that PC game sales tend to be consistent in their rates of growth without huge fluctuations from year to year, where consoles go boom/bust with the cycle of the platform.  This was a few years ago though, but nothing I have heard indicates the same.

Some larger AAA titles may not come out for PC where maybe they would have in the past, but there's not really a shortage of other works filling in that gap.

• Like 1

I say that because there happens to be large AAA titles that don't come out for the PC (like Red Dead Redemption, for example).  Perhaps a decade ago it would have been, perhaps not.

My comment has nothing to do with any newer consoles or anything like that.

Noone is making them because they know that they cannot outdo Blizzard.

In production values and nostalgia perhaps.

RTS genre didn't see any real innovation since Sins of the Solar Empire and that game was essentially an oddity.

They are being replaced by MOBAs because they refused to change their fundamental gameplay away from boxing stutter stepping and base building.

Even the reign of Starcraft won't last much longer judging by the speed with which it's spectator audience leaves.

I say that because there happens to be large AAA titles that don't come out for the PC (like Red Dead Redemption, for example).  Perhaps a decade ago it would have been, perhaps not.

Decade ago? Barely any console games would get PC versions, and the ones who got were pretty bad ports.

I think only 10% of the PS2 games I used to own, had PC versions

Edited by Nordicus

Wow, people need to get with the times. This PC gaming is dead idea is so 7 years ago. How many notable console exclusives have there been lately? Consoles can't support longtime sales due to renting and resale and when those issues are removed they can't support longtime sales due to their prices being too damn high - combined with all the good developers abandoning them en masse due to the added development costs and horrible treatment consoles have effectively deadlocked themselves. They are going to die in a slow decline of terribly generic shooters played only by racist twelve year olds. In five years you'll have PC for gaming and some people who don't understand how to make good decisions will have a seperate machine so their dumb, inbred cousin can play COD.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 4

Wow, people need to get with the times. This PC gaming is dead idea is so 7 years ago. How many notable console exclusives have there been lately? Consoles can't support longtime sales due to renting and resale and when those issues are removed they can't support longtime sales due to their prices being too damn high - combined with all the good developers abandoning them en masse due to the added development costs and horrible treatment consoles have effectively deadlocked themselves. They are going to die in a slow decline of terribly generic shooters played only by racist twelve year olds. In five years you'll have PC for gaming and some people who don't understand how to make good decisions will have a seperate machine so their dumb, inbred cousin can play COD.

Daymn couldn't have said it better myself.

If you count ALL PC gaming then estimates are that PC gaming revenue was $18.6 billion in 2011, more than all 3 consoles revenues combined, and it's quite clear with free-to-play, subscription, and digital sales the vast majority of revenue, also no hardware subsidy, PC gaming is more profitable.

RTS is dying because it's a PC thing

StarCraft II fastest selling strategy game. League of Legends 32 million active players, Dota 2 soon to be released, and countless other MOBA games which are a PC thing, and a RTS sub-genre. Dawn of War II was successful, and we have a new Company of Heroes game coming. Petroglyph is still making games, End of Nations out this year.

Supreme Commander and Sins of the Solar Empire are always going to be niche titles. Rise of Nations, Empire Earth, Age of Empires died because of shifting trends, all genres have shifting trends, even on consoles. Command and Conquer, they ceased being Westwood titles, they sucked.

2. Square is doing poorly. They had sales that were HIGHER this past year than the year previously. They only brought in a net of ~3.5 BILLION USD. That's $3,500,000,000.00 which...last I checked, is about more than the ENTIRE PC gaming market at this point. That's one company. Not all of a group, not even all of the Nintendo, or Sony or MS...one company that makes games. SE.

You clearly don't have a clue what the revenue of PC gaming is. Valve don't disclose sales, neither does EA, they make up over half the PC game sales. Let alone MMO and F2P revenue, which you clearly don't even account for. Also console subsidise their hardware, they make a loss on their hardware.

Square Enix posted $1.6b revenue for the year ending March 2012. World of Warcraft has had around 10 million users for some time, subscribing monthly, that's around $1.2b revenue. Imagine what happens when an expansion pack is released, one game generates more revenue than Squeenix, and more importantly way more profit.

• Like 1

*prepares to be pelted with rotten fruit*

Mass Effect 3: Citadel DLC detailed

Final single-player DLC for the game, roughly a year after the launch. This may be trying to carry over more of the consequences from previous games so players can get a bit more closure. It's also good to know that, even with the fate of the galaxy on the line, Shepard still has time to decorate both his personal quarters and an apartment.

I'd be interested in this if EA/Bioware realeased an edition of the game collecting all the DLC in a way that didn't require it to be downloaded as MASS EFFECT 1 was done.

But since I have no way to download such a thing to my 360, I only get as much "closure" as the shipped game allows...

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I had to have a good chuckle :grin:

I don't think Greylord will ever on any forum use the words

"pc gaming is dying" and "steam is the reason that people have given up on PC gaming"

Imagine having to respond to some of the logical and insightful comments from people who clearly disagreed with him. I would run and hide deeeeeeeeep underground :)

Don't mean to make you feel bad Greylord but you did open yourself up to it.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Good cheerleading.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft-we-want-to-improve-our-relationship-with-pc-gamers/0111333

Ubisoft wants to make nice with PC users, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I downloaded the demo and found myself feeling underwhelmed

I'd gladly respond to this with a well thought-out post, but the thread is getting dangerously close to the 600-posts mark, so I'll wait

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Noone is making them because they know that they cannot outdo Blizzard.

In production values and nostalgia perhaps.

RTS genre didn't see any real innovation since Sins of the Solar Empire and that game was essentially an oddity.

They are being replaced by MOBAs because they refused to change their fundamental gameplay away from boxing stutter stepping and base building.

Even the reign of Starcraft won't last much longer judging by the speed with which it's spectator audience leaves.

For me there are 2 major RTS developers - Blizzard and Relic - Starcraft and Company of Heroes... I can't wait for CoH2... although I'd kill for another Homeworld from Relic... There is also a Total Wars series, and I hope they can deliver with Rome 2 some really nice multiplayer mechanics aside of the excellent SP experience...

That said I am a loyal DotA (2) player... Damn I wish Blizzard would also re-boot the Warcraft series... Shame that EA killed Westwood and C&C franchise...

Edited by Darkpriest

Als this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rGlu3e9kdks

Notice how the audience is bursting out in laughter while Jimmy is sticking knifes into throats and yelling like an idiot.

"HOUHOHOHOOOOOOO WOOOOOHOOOU WOOOOOU HOU HOHUHUEUEUEHIHUUUU!!!!!"

This looks so bad...

Reminds me of the old Fallout 3 presentation, where the crowd was screaming and yelling, wheneder Todd Howard blased the head off of an enemy.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Decade ago? Barely any console games would get PC versions, and the ones who got were pretty bad ports.

I think only 10% of the PS2 games I used to own, had PC versions

Eh, you're worrying too much about the details.

Some games, like Red Dead, aren't getting PC versions because it's believed that it wouldn't be a financially sound decision.  On multiplatform releases, is rarely the top seller and often the lowest seller.  As such, depending on how much effort it would take to make a PC version and how a particular AAA game company perceives PC game sales, there may not be a PC version.

The point was more that there's an influx of non-AAA developers that would be filling in any sort of gap (whether that gap is real or otherwise)

I'll say it again, PC gaming compared to what it was, is dead.

Many who try to say it isn't, try to incorporate Ipad, smart phones and tablets into the PC gaming market...

They aren't PC's.  Never were. 

Remember, SE had 3.5 billion in sales...the 1.5 was specifying in certain areas.

Once again, that's ONE company of MANY of the Console games.

Yes, I'm a console gamer...and to tell the truth, maybe it's associations, but I really don't know that many PC gamers except for those online.  On the otherhand, I know TONS of console gamers.

Consoles ALSO have downloads like steam...but also have retail and other avenues. 

I suppose if you count casual games (not what people normally consider the old venues of PC gaming) You DO have a much better picture, and in that case it isn't dying per se.  However, it's not the PC gaming that everyone talks about here and it's not the types of games typically played on consoles.  But if you like FB games and the such...it IS a good time to be a PC gamer.

• Like 1