Gorth

Just had another conversation with the parents about schooling.

One minute it's "Horray! You can get into classes"

The next it sounds like "We're pretty sure you're gonna fail again, so if you do, we're not even going to think of supporting your educational endeavors for the 2 years/18 months after you fail. Oh, and we're probably not going to fully support you as you try to get back into school!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, that's sink or swim motivation for you.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The next it sounds like "We're pretty sure you're gonna fail again, so if you do, we're not even going to think of supporting your educational endeavors for the 2 years/18 months after you fail. Oh, and we're probably not going to fully support you as you try to get back into school!"

Now you have two good motives to not fail.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Now you have two good motives to not fail.

Yeah, But I haven't even ****ing signed up for classes yet and they're saying "OH, what happens when you fail?"

Gee, why even start if you're betting I'm gonna fail again?

Realizing the only thing right now keeping me from finding a reasonably sure fire way to kill myself... is the fact that when I get this way I deliberately tank myself in alcohol

Calax, I'd like to try and help you but I don't know all the details. What program are you in, currently?

What I can say, is that I know many students who have had their degrees interrupted. In fact, the average length of time to receive a degree at my university is 6 years...while the "expected" time is 4 years. In fact, the maximum time to receive a degree is 25 years.

And I completely sympathize with you and your home situation. For what it's worth, you aren't the first student to lack academic support from home, and I know firsthand how that feels.

Today I canceled my credit card.

Tried to make a purchase from a store called Gamesrocket.

After my payment went through and I got confirmation of the purchase, instead of getting my order I got told this:

We apologize for any inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are forced to take precautions to
prevent deceit of a very few customers.
For security reasons, it is necessary that you send us an email to
verification@gamesrocket.com containing the following:
1. A legible scan or photo of your ID card of your passport
2. The completed verification form as photo or scan
3. A picture of you together with your ID card or passport (your face and ID must be visible
next to each other on the photo).
Pictures taken with a mobile phone are acceptable in most cases.
As soon as we have received all necessary documents from you, your order will be
processed.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Realizing the only thing right now keeping me from finding a reasonably sure fire way to kill myself... is the fact that when I get this way I deliberately tank myself in alcohol

>Just had another conversation with the parents about schooling.

Calax, I'd like to try and help you but I don't know all the details. What program are you in, currently?

What I can say, is that I know many students who have had their degrees interrupted. In fact, the average length of time to receive a degree at my university is 6 years...while the "expected" time is 4 years. In fact, the maximum time to receive a degree is 25 years.

And I completely sympathize with you and your home situation. For what it's worth, you aren't the first student to lack academic support from home, and I know firsthand how that feels.

This is technically year 8(ish) of my schooling... well six of actual educational sorts of things. I'm in the History program at my school, which doesn't like it's history department.

No gaming tonight ... ordering take-out from a nearby Chinese place we haven't tried - it would be nice to finally find one we like (this city is like a black hole for Chinese food ... the best is merely "tolerable").  Then going to watch either Flight or Skyfall. Haven't decided.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today I canceled my credit card.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are forced to take precautions to

prevent deceit of a very few customers.

Well Melk don't you think this inevitable, I don't want to sound harsh but how long did you think you could  keep using stolen credit cards?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well Melk don't you think this inevitable, I don't want to sound harsh but how long did you think you could  keep using stolen credit cards?

Guess Steam was rght to ban me from buying stuff every few months :)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Today we went for a helicopter tour around the island of Monserrat. Our chopper was late arriving, and then after two minutes in the air our pilot turned around due to mechanical problems. We hopped in another, and then had an enjoyable aerial tour of the volcano on the island.

I'm loving Antigua, and am not looking forward to the long flights home on Sunday.

• Like 1

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Kept waking up from weird frakking dreams through the early morning. Now I seem to be facing the day with one of those grinding headaches behind my eyeballs....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I started playing Ni No Kuni. I usually detest JRPGs. Really, can't stand them. But I got hold of a copy for testing and had nothing better to do - and I'm quite blown away. Wonderful game.

This is the one game I need to come to the PC. Desperately.

Good grief, our backyard is a winter-long mess. Seriously. A mess. I should really clean it up and do some work with it.

....maybe later.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Managed to get a lot of work done today - it's all about the first 3 hours of the day for me. If I get distracted there, then it's bye bye productivity.

Now I'm considered going out to celebrate.. Kinda wish we weren't all scattered across the globe, I would've bought a few rounds. :)

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Workmate is leaving our department for the glorious splendor of a new division, so there's drinks at some suitably pricey place, so I guess that'll be my task for tonight. $6 for 'Belgian Frites' isn't too bad though - assuming we get a place there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's not too bad when everything else is $10 and up. Price of choosing bars/restaurants that suits go to, I suppose.

Dentist today, uninsured for that, so, that's 60 bucks for a consult about about 150 Monday when my cavity gets filled.

Yay.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

When I had my broken tooth fixed last month it cost me nearly $400. And that was with insurance.

I played a round of golf today. A nice 72 year old Englishman joined us. And used a pull cart for the entire duration, while my father in law chain smoked and drive a power cart. The course in Jolly Harbour has a beautiful layout, but the grass is in really ****ty shape. I'm not bitching, though. It's better than golfing in the snow.

Spent the afternoon at the beach. I'm quite red now.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Becoming really annoyed with YouTube/Google asking me if I want to use my real name/searchable name (or whatever) on YouTube (instead of my "hard to read nickname"), every time I login. Especially when there's not a true "NO. LEAVE ME ALONE" option. I've hit Ask Me Later 25+ times now.

Makes me not want to login/use it anymore. Can you make it stop? :p

• Like 3

Vince: "Did you just order a six dollar fries?"

Malcador: "Ummhh."

Vince: "It's fries. That's just potato."

Malcador: "Last I heard."

Vince: "That's six dollars? You don't put mayo on it or nothin'?"

Malcador: "No."

Vince: "Just checking."

/Pulp Fiction

Say "what?" again...