Fallout 4 - news & rumours

WDeranged

I never played Fallout 1&2 so I can't comment. I also think that my point is being misunderstood. I love turn based, isometric games but to say you don't like Fallout and F:NV because they aren't turn based, isometric games doesn't make sense to me. It would be like saying you don't like Risen, Gothic or Morrowind because they aren't turn based and isometric. They aren't suppose to be yet the games have a huge appeal.

No it's not the same because Risen, Gothic or Morrowind where never Turn Based.

But to use your on example (The TES Series).

Big Announcement from Bethesda.

The Elderscrolls VI: Summerset

New game Facts:

Top Down Turn Based Combat.

5x5 square miles map with one village.

Communicating in sign language.

And it's set in the late stone age.

Oh and there will be never ever again a traditional TES Style.

Okay I see your point, I would be very upset with Bethesda and probably wouldn't support them anymore.

In fact I thought about what you guys are saying and I completely understand why you feel the Fallout series has let you down, I never played Fallout 1 and 2 so even though I loved Fallout 3 and F:NV I had nothing to compare them to in respects to what a classical Fallout game should be.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

fallout 1 and 2 are in my top 5 games of all time. I enjoyed fallout 3 for what it was, and i truly loved New Vegas. fallout tactics was ok i guess, but was a pretty major disappointment for me when it was released

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Never played the original Fallouts. Loved FO:NV. Tried FO:3, couldn't get into it.

If FO:4 is made by Bethesda (not just published by) then it's likely I won't be very interested...maybe at a sale price. But it will be interesting to hear any news of what will be going on with the game, because y'never know.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If it wasn't for Fallout 3 it's almost certain I'd never have (re)discovered the previous games, and it's a good thing because I really enjoyed them, maybe not as much as I loved the open world of Fallout 3 but they showed me what good writing and quest design was.

Ultimately I've never been a fan of turn based games, 3D open worlds have always won my attention and I'm a total sucker for Bethesda's exploration style, in my opinion Fallout 3 is possibly the most explorable and interesting landscape I've seen in a computer game, New Vegas may be one of the most reactive and believable RPGs...and it very well might be my favourite Fallout game, but the Capital Wasteland is just so much damn fun to dig through.

I do look forward to Fallout 4, I don't really have a doubt that the world will be interesting enough for me, I just worry that we're going to see fewer skills and the return of derpy factions which apparently never interact with eachother until the big showdown.

I enjoyed Fallout 1 & 2, as well as Fallout 3 & NV. I even liked Fallout Tactics.

What !!!

Thats scientifically impossible, Hurlshot its been proven on this thread that you cannot like all the Fallout games. I think you are just being agreeable. And thats completely unnecessary. Please reword your post with how you really feel

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I enjoyed Fallout 1 & 2, as well as Fallout 3 & NV. I even liked Fallout Tactics.

What !!!

Thats scientifically impossible, Hurlshot its been proven on this thread that you cannot like all the Fallout games. I think you are just being agreeable. And thats completely unnecessary. Please reword your post with how you really feel

Now you're just making up things.

What's not to like in Tactics? :dancing:

Realtime combat, blatant disregard for established canon/lore.

Correct, but you could switch to good old turn based (but I even quite enjoy that half-turn based half real-time mix) That engine was just great. That is shame that they dont try to build on it some meaningfull RPG instead of tactical squad fights game

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Unless its turn based and isometric I am not interested. I am so disapointed with Fallout Tactic. So great engine, combat was most fun from all fallouts. Sad that story was so ****ty. I always hoped that someone will make F1 and F2 or new story in that engine. So sad. Do someone know who owns right for that?

Are you telling me you didn't enjoy Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas?

Seriously now

I found FO3 really, really boring. FONV was a lot better, but it was extremely unstable on PS3 at the time, so playing it was a bit of a chore. Never got the DLC for it, either. Might have to take another stab at it now, see how it got stabler and how the DLC works out.

I've realised a long time ago that the Bethesda games just aren't my cup of tea.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I never played Fallout 1&2 so I can't comment. I also think that my point is being misunderstood. I love turn based, isometric games but to say you don't like Fallout and F:NV because they aren't turn based, isometric games doesn't make sense to me. It would be like saying you don't like Risen, Gothic or Morrowind because they aren't turn based and isometric. They aren't suppose to be yet the games have a huge appeal.

No it's not the same because Risen, Gothic or Morrowind where never Turn Based.

But to use your on example (The TES Series).

Big Announcement from Bethesda.

The Elderscrolls VI: Summerset

New game Facts:

Top Down Turn Based Combat.

5x5 square miles map with one village.

Communicating in sign language.

And it's set in the late stone age.

Oh and there will be never ever again a traditional TES Style.

Du you really think TES Fans would be cool with this?

Even if it's a very good game. The fans would scream BETRAYAL.

As a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 I didn't scream BETRAYAL when Fallout 3 was made. And frankly if Bethesda did the above with the Elder Scrolls games I also wouldn't scream BETRAYAL. Heck I didn't even scream BETRAYAL when Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was announced, nor when it shaped up to be a poorly conceived game.

I'll look at the game they choose to make and evaluate it on what it is and whether what it is seems to be something I'd like to play. The rest of it is kind of irrelevant to me. Probably because to me the thing I like about Fallout is the 50s inspired apocalypse setting more than the turn based combat found in the original game. Others seem to think that Fallout can't be Fallout without TB combat. YMMV.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If Fallout 4 is made by Bethesda I will have little to none interest in it. Their games just don't work for me and I don't think hiring Ferret will make much difference to the way they make games at Bethesda.

Hate the living, love the dead.

What !!!

Now you're just making up things.

No its called a Joke, hence the smiley face

• Like 1

John Milton 

You need better ones.

Nah, a sense a humor is relative. You can't please everyone.

• Like 2

John Milton 

You know, there is a reason I tend to like all the games I play. I really don't put any time in games I don't like. I can figure out within the first hour if I will enjoy a game, and if I don't think I will, I drop it like a hot potato.

I have so much trouble understanding the folks that complain about Fallout 3 but played through the whole thing.

• Like 3

You know, there is a reason I tend to like all the games I play. I really don't put any time in games I don't like. I can figure out within the first hour if I will enjoy a game, and if I don't think I will, I drop it like a hot potato.

I have so much trouble understanding the folks that complain about Fallout 3 but played through the whole thing.

Sometimes good reviews make me go back to a game I don't like (case in point, Demon Souls). But I'm like you, I tend not to spend an inordinate amount of time on games I don't like (nor do I spend much time worrying about it if I didn't like it).

I enjoyed Fallout 3. Was it as "good" as Fallout 1 and 2? I think I probably liked FO1 and 2 better - although all three games suffer from issues that if I wanted to complain about I could. But part of enjoying a game (IMO) is enjoying it for what it is rather than criticizing it for what it isn't; I can see flaws in these games and understand why others don't like particular entries but for me I find enough to enjoy and embrace that the negatives are outweighed.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, I loved FO1 and FO2... FO3 was real crap to me, even though I bought it... Not sure if I've finished it.

Although I recognize the quality improvement on the story line in FO:NV, I couldn't finish it as well... It's just the combat mechanics that puts me away from that game... VATS is hardly usable and the Real Time combat is just bad in FO3 and FO:NV. FPP and action gamey combat background just kills the game for me. On the other hand if on each encounter the camera would pan out and give you the tactical view of the area and TB or RT based tactical combat, where only character skills matter then I would love it. I do like action games, but they have to be real good at that Dark Souls is a good example of a fantasy action game, and say what you want but CoD is a strong brand on shooter side of action gaming, even GoW or ME3 combat is good for an action game.

The skills and design of a character and combat skills in Fallout is just not suited for a Real Time FPP action combat... I even do not like TES games because I hate the combat system there + on top of that the storytelling and NPCs suck... I've dropped TES series on Morrowind.

Edited by Darkpriest

Or spend time discussing games like that, or even more incomprehensibly, games they don't play. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not that hard to understand - if they wasted the money on it, might as well get a whole picture on its flaws. I did that with Vegas 2, still remember my exclamation and laughter when the boss fight started. Barring it being beyond "bad" and into some zone of utter repugnance, nothing tricky about it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra