What you did today

Gorth

Turned 21 a few days ago. I live in a pretty big college town in the States. $1 beers and .50 cent slices of pizza? absolutely brilliant.

I think we have 2 bucks for a good slice of pizza, and a large soda at lunch.

and 1$ for "growlers" (a 40 basically) over at the Olde Main distillery.

Other news, My school is playing Tulsa in a bowl

I'm visiting the Health center to get my digestive tract figured out

Finals are next week.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Turned 21 a few days ago. I live in a pretty big college town in the States. $1 beers and .50 cent slices of pizza? absolutely brilliant.

Enjoy that 21 feeling then ... ;)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, in case it wasn't obvious (either from the get go or from my not mentioning it), my rebuttal for the grading criteria used on my dissertation wasn't accepted and it remained **** laude.

So ~25 years of school ends kind of with a fizzle, having never received anything that wasn't one of the two top latin honors. Meh.

I'm now a) glad the whole thing's over so I can really move on with my life b) feeling a bit vindictive and planning on making sure that nothing I write in the future will be of any use to the Uni c) happily going to concentrate on a career on the more practical side of things d) getting ready for a 4 day weekend.

Probably need to start the grown-up stuff by cutting all the frat boy look from my flat. Tomorrow. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Went to the doctor. Still tests to run, but everything else seems fine except my weight. And maybe an infection.

My arms still hurt though. Overworked them on Monday.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Falling behind in "stuff" again...

The Alcatraz thing is a go for tomorrow. At least I don't have to drive, because I can make hubby drive. :p I don't like driving in the city anymore, if I don't have to. We'll have to rely on hub's sister for the lunch spot. They're a lot more familiar with SF places than we are (they have a time-share in the city and spend several weekends a year there as casual vacations). Just hoping we can leave the city before 3:30pm or so, or we'll get stuck in traffic. :getlost:

Hubs is wondering if he'll get seasick since he hasn't been on a boat since he was a kid. I'm all "It's 15 minutes on a Bay, not a wild ocean. You'll be fine." :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Happy Birthday Krookie.

That new BG is OK I guess. It's nice to get a new look but... playing old games is like visiting old friends. I'm not getting the warm fuzzies from this.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hm, for some reason I seem to be sliding into a somewhat melancholic mood this week with no specific thing that I can see causing it.

winter depression (AKA Seasonal Affective Disorder AKA SAD)

Light therapy, it helps, helps a great deal.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Falling behind in "stuff" again...

The Alcatraz thing is a go for tomorrow.

If Alcatraz is go for tomorrow, you need to post twice as much today, so that post count isn't among the "stuff" you fall behind in as well.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On another note.

Opened the door of my office, stepped out into the hallway and through the open door of the office on the other side, I saw it rainign outside their window. turned around, it isn't raining outside my window, but I do have a rainbow on my side.

Awesome, our building is right where the rain stopped :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Looks like it might be sunny...do I take just the general, fairly wide-to-fairly-zoomed zoom lens for flexibility, or the much higher quality 100mm macro lens? Or I could take both, but that gets to be a pain to carry around when you just want to enjoy yourself on a short touristy thingie. Considering how picky I am about camera glass, I'd prefer the macro, but it is limited...this isn't a bug-watching or portrait-taking photo op.

Decisions, decisions.

If Alcatraz is go for tomorrow, you need to post twice as much today, so that post count isn't among the "stuff" you fall behind in as well.

:lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Been VERY busy lately. Our company bid on a new contract with Raddcomm Inc to design public WIFI access points and network backhaul in 117 Simon Malls throughout the US. We spent weeks preparing the bids. We just found out today our bid was accepted. This is HUGE. Not only will it keep us busy for the next two years but if we can complete it on time and under budget our company moves out of the start up phase and gains financial stability and most importantly market credibility.

It's been a long year with many sleepless nights and living in bad motel rooms (in some cases in dangerous places) but right now it was TOTALLY worth it! I can't wait for January to get here now.

Good thing you managed to get in on this while malls still exist.

As long as there are teenage girls with more money than sense there will always be malls! :lol:

But I agree they are sort of dinosaurs.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oddly enough, malls in my area have experienced a sort of renaissance in the last few years. They were taken over by a big corporation, renovated completely, and now most of them are thriving again. I do most of my shopping at the one that is still fairly dead.

Yay. The lump on my head isn't cancer, it's a cherry angioma. Which I saw on google, but that's not proper medical diagnosis. My blood pressure is fine. My heart rate is fine. My liver and kidney function are fine. No sign of diabetes.

But I'm overweight and you could use my blood to deep fry chicken.

You'll have to excuse my excitement over the mundane. I had not been to a doctor in maybe 7 years.

Oddly enough, malls in my area have experienced a sort of renaissance in the last few years. They were taken over by a big corporation, renovated completely, and now most of them are thriving again. I do most of my shopping at the one that is still fairly dead.

I think the issue is that a lot of malls were built when they were the center of the city. Since then the centers have been moved and people don't want to go into a cave to find a retail outlet.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yay. The lump on my head isn't cancer, it's a cherry angioma. Which I saw on google, but that's not proper medical diagnosis. My blood pressure is fine. My heart rate is fine. My liver and kidney function are fine. No sign of diabetes.

But I'm overweight and you could use my blood to deep fry chicken.

You'll have to excuse my excitement over the mundane. I had not been to a doctor in maybe 7 years.

Congratulations... sort of? ;)

One of the benefits of moving country every now and then. Residency requires thorough medical checks, including x-rays and blood tests. I've been tested for everything from high cholesterol, blood pressure, hepatitis, hiv, diabetes, TB, (insert long list of known ailments), etc. multiple times the last decade. So far, so good. Still need to see a dentist some day though :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's good to hear you're alright, Stale. Physically, at least. Mentally on the other hand...

I've got medication for my mental state, too. Just need to fill it and subsequently be terrified of actually taking it.

Y'know, Alcatraz is a neat place, but I think visiting it twice is about all I need for my lifetime. That said, it would be kind of cool if you could hang out on the island overnight all by yourself. I'd love to have a house on a small island like that. It's always great to see the sibling in-laws. They're always fun. After spending a couple hours on the island we had some great BBQ lunch and wandered around Ghirardelli a while. I really miss them living closer.

The Alcatraz tour people do that thing where they take a picture of you in front of a large picture of Alcatraz island and then sell it to you when you get back. They're always quite terrible, but the sibling in-laws bought them anyway. The most interesting thing about that photo was how startled I was by how grey my temples have become. It's really noticeable in the pic (vs. when I glance idly in a mirror). :cat:

Preparing for the social event tonight. Most fun I'm having is deciding on how to get to the restaurant.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1-day indoor 4v4 football (the real kind) tournament last night with a double-elimination rule. We started off with by far the best team out there, who began proceedings by making a long pass through my legs then the runner side-footing a volley into goal on the first touch. After that we proceeded to win every game, draw the semi-finals, then the 'penalty shootout' (which was people shooting into the tiny goal from 10m away with no keeper) where everyone on our team missed.

Had a typical joker in the quarter-finals where we came back from 2-0 to 2-2, he pretended he thought they were winning 4-3, tried to mock my English (heh) then started pushing and huffing to try and get a winner. Gave him a couple of well-aimed tackles that got the ball and a lot of his legs too, and we won it in the end. I may be short and spindly but screw those bastards.

It's been good to be able to play once or twice a week these days, there's nothing quite like sport.

Meanwhile, writing an unwisely ambitious paper, and the best indication of my stress levels is that I'm drinking Coke. Coke!

I did take pictures, but mostly nothing different from 7trillion other photos of the place, out there in the world. But here's a couple:

When the boat approaches close to the island, lots of people take pictures. There's this tiny sign visible in many of those, and this is what it says:

alcatraz-008.jpg

My husband is about 6' 1". He's standing there for scale. Most of the cells are tiny. There are some "luxury" cells, a bit deeper/wider and facing outer wall windows (sun)..those were like the Hilton of jail cells. :biggrin:

alcatraz-004.jpg

• Like 1