Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part III).

This has strangely fancy look in it

brass02b.jpg

Another fancy plate

Henry_VIII%27s_expensive_armour.jpg

And then a red head in plate armour :)

grace_holley_plate6.jpg

grace_holley_plate5.jpg

Can't go wrong with a red head in plate! :D

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Churburg%20Armour%2001%20044%20copyedit.jpg

wearing crap like that needs to come with extreme fatigue penalties...

full plate armors are ridiculous for anything outside of jousting or melees; definitely not for an adventurer who spends weeks on end crossing swamps, forests, mountains and spelunking in caves and ancient ruins.

• Like 1

While it wouldn't be my outfit of choice for spelunking, it's entirely possible to travel in plate armour and to fight in it for quite a few hours. Then again, I wonder how many people would complain about the need to pull a cart full of armour and having to put it on for several minutes before every fight.

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

While it wouldn't be my outfit of choice for spelunking, it's entirely possible to travel in plate armour and to fight in it for quite a few hours. Then again, I wonder how many people would complain about the need to pull a cart full of armour and having to put it on for several minutes before every fight.

I certainly would... if I actually had to do that in-game. You rarely poop in-game either, though, and it would be just as easy to let the game handle the chores while you, the player, make the decisions.

For example. Have a bivouack with the mules showing up there, let you prepare a couple of different loadouts, switch between with them with a few clicks, but only in camp. Alternatively, have a pack mule follow you when out and about, but only into areas where a pack mule could believably enter (i.e., not underground, indoors, or into areas that require climbing etc.). In that case allow switching loadouts the same way whenever not in combat. If applicable (e.g. day/night cycle, buff timeout, encounter risk etc.), have the game keep track of how much time it takes to switch loadouts.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

weeks on end

quite a few hours.

This has been my point in my earlier posts...you just wouldn't go adventuring in plate armor, its for fighting battles in,

a pack mule, with one click changes of gear outside combat, would be good...it'd give you a chance to try all the different armors as well, rather than sticking to one all the time

Plate for battles, light armor for sneaking or spelunking...and a chain bikini for beach warfare :grin:

• Like 1

Play Mount and Blade then. ;) It has crossbowmen and pavises.

Pavises in Mount & Blade actually work?

There's a mod which allows you to stick one on the ground. Other than that, you can have it on your back and turn away while reloading.

Well, I did miss this thread!

Below, too futuristic Dead-Space-like helmets? :grin:

Suit_of_Armors.jpg

Though I'm not into heavy armour much, I do kind of like that.

well...

the weakness of that armor should be clear to anyone with an intelligence score above 3.

everything is covered i steel but your genitels get red velvet?

Edited by NerdBoner
  • Like 2

Suit_of_Armors.jpg

well...

the weakness of that armor should be clear to anyone with an intelligence score above 3.

well between that and not being able to bend your elbows past 75 degrees or so.

Suit_of_Armors.jpg

well...

That's (a cheap replica of) cavalry armor. Long, skirt-like faulds would only get in the way.

As long as you remain mounted, the tassets and the saddle and/or barding should protect the groin just fine.

Otherwise, you could just wear a maille shirt underneath. I don't think armored codpieces became particularly common, if they existed at all, until the 16th century.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Looks usable enough. Covers the whole head. Curved so most blows wold glance (unless they come from behind).

I'd certanly use it over that helmet with the giant golden lion on top.

I wouldn't. Unlike the golden helmet, there are many gaps for weapons to slide into, it doesn't cover your neck at all and it's made from many riveted pieces, I wouldn't expect it to hold together for long. It just looks like it'd get bent under the first blow and stab and slice your face with all those edges. Being made from overlapping pieces also adds material, so it's likely heavier than it needs to be.

Believe it or not, this one is more for show than the golden one.

MEh. The golden one leaves your entire face exposed and has that big lion on top that not only weight a lot, but would also catch any blade you try to duck under.

I can live with gaps for breating in my helmet - chances of a blade slipping trough are minimal, especialyl since the gaps are samll, and I need oxygen.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Suit_of_Armors.jpg

well...

Long, skirt-like faulds would only get in the way.

As long as you remain mounted, the tassets and the saddle and/or barding should protect the groin just fine.

Idk dude if I'm riding into combat, I think I'd want to get the boys some shelter regardless.

MEh. The golden one leaves your entire face exposed and has that big lion on top that not only weight a lot, but would also catch any blade you try to duck under.

I can live with gaps for breating in my helmet - chances of a blade slipping trough are minimal, especialyl since the gaps are samll, and I need oxygen.

The thing is - open face helmets had been used throughout history, very very commonly. More so than masked or fully closed helmets. So it seems ease of seeing around you is a good tradeoff for that specific lack of protection.

Similarly, that helmet was made to be worn. The decoration wouldn't be my first choice either, but it had to be light enough to be worn (which is possible. I doubt the lion is solid metal). Plumes and helmet decorations have also been used for a long time, so it appears it's not that much of a disadvantage.

So, yes, I'd prefer a real functional helmet over a poorly designed and poorly crafted fantasy one.

edit: by gaps I mean primarily the gaps between the plates. There's no reason why a helmet's bowl should be made of overlapping segments with gaps between them, other than the armourer thinks it looks badass and cool, or if he can't make a single bowl. It's weak design and it's done purely for the jagged profile, I think.

Edited by Merlkir

*sigh*

Crest (in the European tradition - Kleinod) - decoration mounted on top of the helmet , originally made of the horns of animals and feathers of birds. This element was developed during a joust and served as an additional identification mark, by which a knight may be seen in the confusion of tournament battle, because the figure could be seen from afar better than a coat of arms depicted on the shield.

Crests were made of light wood, leather, and papier-mâché, but over time they began to be produced from the more valuable materials.

Edited by Comedian
Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

Suit_of_Armors.jpg

well...

Reason for no genital protection is that it is cavalry armour and men on horse back is very hard to hit on their genital area. But of course if horse dies under its wearer, then it becomes as weakness.

Edited by Elerond

A bunch of miniature wheellock pistols, designed to show off the skills of the grandmaster who made them. All capable of firing. The smallest is about 35mm in length.

wheellock+pistol+Germany,+the+second+half+of+the+16+th.jpg

Tri-barreled, pepperbox matchlock arquebus and a 27-barrel monster pepperbox pistol. These could have been rotated by hand, though many models would self-rotate between shots like a modern revolver.

MG-1-001-10.jpg

24-barrel_pepperbox.jpg

Finally, a nice looking pistol-sword for the discerning knight.

pistol-sword1.JPG

At this rate, maybe I should start my own "Awesome guns - a plea" thread. ;)

This will probably caues my stoaning but I really do not see appeal that everone seems to have for hiper realistic weapones and armores.

I mean it's a fantasy game , not medival simulator of dressing knight. I really doubt, that we will get, anything like chainmail bikini, and a little pointless, spikes, and such only makes armor more interesting to watch, for me

Personally I prefer more intricate detailing such as the above fine examples in this thread and its previous incarnations, enamelling, carvings and more subtle designs that add to the piece without limiting its utility whether through weight or the the limiting of freedom of movement. If you can't use those spike in battle then they are just unnecessary added weight, fine for ceremonial and parade armour but ridiculous to use in the heat of battle, when you need as much protection as possible at the lightest weight, and as much freedom of movement at all times.

I suppose it's a matter of taste, personally i'd prefer something subtle rather than ostentatious and hindering. For fantasy to make sense it needs to be grounded in the mundane, otherwise there is no point of reference for anything and the fourth wall becomes all too apparent, spoiling our belief in the otherworld.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!