Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part III).

Karranthain, is that a picture of a Hussite wagon fort? Those were amazing. Speaking of which:

wagon-fort.jpeg

Hussite-Wagon.jpg

Indeed it is. I find the history of the movement quite fascinating.

They've developed quite novel tactics (the Wagenburg) - and were one of the earliest proponents of the firearms in Europe.

Here's a piece depicting one the Hussite wars' episodes :

the-surrender-of-the-city-of-rosenberg-i

I remember Josh Sawyer mentioning his interest in the various early revolutionary movements in Europe; it certainly would be interesting to see. It's not a topic widely explored in a fantasy setting.

• Like 1

You're welcome! I thought this thread needs more real-life armor & weapons pics. Maybe they're even a small inspiration for the developers, who knows. :)  

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

The craftsmanship evident in that armor is mind-blowing.  Thanks, Woldan.  :yes:

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

That is one major plume! :lol: I love it.

Nekkid ostriches are a good thing, eh?

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Amazing how much variation there is across cultures. All images should be within a century of each other - and between one and two centuries behind P:E.

^ It's kind of neat how the mongols in the front would be right at home in 10th to early 20th century eastern army. No changes necessary.

It's the armored guys that start looking anachronistic as time rolls to end of middle ages.

Same with the almohads or whoever.

Funnily enough, it's the pollaxe dude in the first picture that first starts looking dated, and his armor is clearly the best.

Everybody else wears stuff that wouldn't be too out of place a millennia earlier.

Edited by Jarmo

\o/ PLUMES!

edit: on the other hand, the hide "armour" is less impressive. It's just a bit goofy and cliched barbarian looking - with the midriff bare and stuff. 

When I was working on my MA thesis about archaeological reconstruction, I came across an interesting quote about an artist. 

Zdeněk Burian was a Czech painter who specialized in prehistoric stuff, but also did illustration for adventure books and westerns and so on. The article highlighted that as much as he strived for accuracy, he still used the stereotypical image of a savage ape man - in their clothing. 

His cavemen were pretty well done overall, but for some reason they weren't able to make their clothing in a functional way with neatly trimmed edges and without holes. We know they were capable of doing exactly that, we've reconstructed hide clothing with stone and bone tools. Yet this image of barbarism persisted.

http://zburian.blogspot.cz/

1329300_221801_burian_lovci_mamutu.jpg

Here's a couple of nice examples of clothing made from hide/fur:

07008.jpg

tradition.jpg

inuit-hunter-7307.jpg

Examples-of-Inuit-Facial-Tatoos.jpg

507400-siberian-princess.jpg

Primitive-Rug-Gowns1.jpgWildlings-game-of-thrones-31113102-960-6

Mostly Siberian, Inuit and the last one is obviously Wildlings from GoT. ;)

Edited by Merlkir

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

That's it. I no longer feel the game will be acceptable without plume-based talents and abilities. u_u

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

That's it. I no longer feel the game will be acceptable without plume-based talents and abilities. u_u

When you're wearing a plumed hat, you'll be able to cast the Fluffy Feather of Paralyzing Tickles, which will easily allow you to dispatch your giggling and helpless opponent....unless, of course, they make their Not-Ticklish saving throw.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's funny how tastes change. At some point, someone thought that putting a gilded potato with a feather sticking out of it on your head made you look more fearsome.

Gotta love plumes. They should've put that in as a final stretch goal, would've broken 4.5 mil with no problems.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It's funny how tastes change. At some point, someone thought that putting a gilded potato with a feather sticking out of it on your head made you look more fearsome.

Gotta love plumes. They should've put that in as a final stretch goal, would've broken 4.5 mil with no problems.

When plumes are not sufficient, you might as well go all the way : 

100years.jpg

Slay your enemies with style!

That said, I'd love to see equally colourful attires in the game (even if these are a bit outside the game's time period)  :)

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 2

Okay, now I want a helmet with a gilded battle sloth atop its crest. u_u

(Seriously, though, the elaborate helmets are awesome.)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

For my first post (and contribution to this thread, and hopefully PE in general) I give you

, or more specifically his videos about various historical weapons and armor, and how often popular media gets it horribly, terribly wrong on oh-so-many levels.

A few of the more interesting/relevant ones:

• Like 1

that guy is such a nerd, lol.

I lol'ed with the katana plonker comment

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

For my first post (and contribution to this thread, and hopefully PE in general) I give you

, or more specifically his videos about various historical weapons and armor, and how often popular media gets it horribly, terribly wrong on oh-so-many levels.

A few of the more interesting/relevant ones:

Thanks for the links and welcome, Spiritofpower!