Armor Slots and Clothing

So it was spoken what kind of armor and what kind of armor improvements are possible. However, this brings up the important question of how much armor Slots are there? In addition, how much slots are necessary?

0 like in Diablo 3 for Companions

5 like in Skyrim

6 like in Baldurs Gate 2

8 like in Diablo 3

In addition, I wonder how much realism will there be? Have we a weird Skyrim world where everyone only wears one part of clothing? (And a bit underwear for the Teen rating)? Or have all Human like persons 37°C blood temperature and the environment is 37°C warm at every time, so that clothing was never invented? In almost all games, I know you have a provided set of clothes, which you cannot get rid of (exceptions Unepic and Skyrim). In Skyrim you are under the armor naked. I think this is strange. Think of a good oiled chain mail on the bare skin, what a mess. Alternatively, wander a day in new stiff leather armor; I can almost see the oppressed skin. Therefore, there is clearly a need for Clothing in general and worn under the armor.

This brings me to the next part. Taboos. In our world, the minimal clothing covers breasts and private parts. But have this to be so in P:E? Could it not be that the uncovered Hands or Elbows are Taboos?

I prefer the following system:

One slot for a suit of armor or clothes (mage robes etc). Each armor may consist of different visual parts like gauntles, greaves, breastplate, pauldrons, padding but it's essentially one item for one slot. (baldurs gate style)

Slots for accessories - rings, belt, amulet, cloak, helmet/hood/hat, gloves, boots.

When a character wears armor, it visually overlaps accessories to prevent looking like a clown.

Only boring people get bored

I don't think like DA:O a stripped person should be naked. Plain clothed BG makes much more sense.

I suppose more slots than BG can be possible. However I rather not use Drakensangs system where some arm items are gloves. Some greaves. Some gloves/greaves. And full armor overwrote them all (and thus, by definition was absolutely worthless, since it was never more than the sum of parts you could wear)...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Armor

Helmet

Gloves

Boots

Cloak

Belt

I wouldn't mind also having a slot to put something over the armor, like a tabard, even if it's just purely for aesthetics. Better yet, tabards could serve the purpose of identifying you as being part of a certain faction, much like faction-specific armor in Fallout: New Vegas, except this way you could wear whatever armor you wanted underneath and still identify yourself as being part of said faction.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Personaly i want something simple, just as skyrim, not because im a big fan of a simple system, but i like simple stuff adding to much something dosent add enogh to make it worthwhile. And personaly the mix and match of looks never works to well.

Armor, Gloves, Boots, Helmet, A ring or Two, A necles. thats it. Nothing that overlaps to avoide cliping isues.

Cloaks need work, so i can live without them.

It depends a great deal on whether hit locations will be used, which may in turn depend on the impact of garb on skills and spell casting. It should be possible to wear heavy body armor with little or not arm protection, in which case lock picking should be close to normal.

If if hit locations are used, then more detail for armor slots is preferable: greaves, helm, arms, legs, feet, chest, necklace, belt, two rings, and shoulders, plus a slot for underlying garb. That allows for more variety in garb, with mix-and match items.

Sticking with just the DnD slots is too vanilla and limiting.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I didn't include any jewelry in my 6 slots since I don't consider jewelry as armor, but I'm all for the standard 2 rings and 1 amulet slot deal. I don't think it's really necessary or beneficial to go far (or at all) beyond the standard 6 armor slots I listed above and getting crazy with something like:

Helmet

Cuirass

Pauldrons

Couters

Gauntlets

Belt

Cuisses

Poleyns

Greaves

Sollerets

Cloak

That's just overkill

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why do you need equipment slots at all? Except for weapons equipment won't get changed that much. Configuration slots for readied weapons (main hand + off hand) are useful of course (and to allow quick weapon switches). Do you really need to break down armour into 5 or more seperate slots? Wouldn't just armour/helmet/boots suffice for example?

Besides if a 20 year old CRPG can do without item slots why can't today's games? Drag the equipment to the appropriate position on the paper doll et voila. And to remove the item? Just drag it from the paper doll into the inventory.

With today's standardized GUI programming techniques you can have context menus consider where the mouse pointer is positioned and show different menu options (including a more detailed item description). All without hassle.

post-44339-0-59476000-1352401416_thumb.jpg

post-44339-0-39105700-1352401430_thumb.jpg

post-44339-0-83153800-1352401512_thumb.jpg

Edited by beerflavour

Firstly: ALL armour should be paintable. Like THIS. Foremost helmets and breastplates.

Hat/Cap/Helmet (2 slots)

I think both, helmets and caps should be wearable at the same time. Historically people wore padded/unpadded coifs underneath the helmet. Also, if you're in a city in a not-so-dangerous place, wearing a hat should give you bonuses for charisma (etc.) which can be used for negotiating/diplomacy and whatnot.

Amulet/Necklace (2 slots)

Pretty self-explanatory. Except: Should be stackable. Some necklaces/amulets could use up two slots, some just one, so you'd have two in general.

Pauldrons (1 slot)

Self-explanatory.

Breastplate/Cuirass/Whatever/Clothing/Mail (3 slots)

Pretty self-explanatory, except for some "upgrades" like gems/magical rivets. Also you can wear ordinary clothing, mail AND plate at the same time. Of course with a dexterity malus.

Leg armour/pants/chausses (2-3 slots)

Not everything worn at your legs is leg armour. It might as well only protect your thighs. That's why you also need chausses, maybe some thick loden pants whatever.

Belt & sheath (2 slots)

Pretty self-explanatory. If the belt and sheath belong to the same set they could give you a bonus (?)

Boots/shoes (1-2 slots)

Shoes could also be combined with kneesocks. For example with kuhmaul-shoes. All the style stuff could mostly give you CHA bonuses.

Also: early-renaissance aglets.

__

Well. Yeah. Overkill. But awesome nevertheless.

Elan_song.gif

Firstly: ALL armour should be paintable. Like THIS. Foremost helmets and breastplates.

Pffft. And you forgot gloves, btw.

I'd say this should be the absolute minimum:

Helm/Hat

Necklace/Amulet

Armor Layer

Clothes Layer

Gauntlets/Gloves/Rings

Main Hand

Off Hand

Boots/Shoes

Quiver

But a second helm/hat layer, customization for spaulders vs. pauldrons, vambraces and rerebraces, belts, pants/chausses/cuisses and greaves would all be cool. Perhaps, for most of the armor pieces though, that's better done with an interface in which you can view and customize the different components of an armor set, but keeping it all collectively one slot for equipment purposes. I think the main things I'm looking for is some semblance of layering and the ability to customize armor's appearance from separate components, but the latter doesn't have to necessarily be accommodated in terms of equipment slots.

Anything else?

Maybe the ability to wear robes over armor like in Morrowind.

http://en.wikipedia....medieval_armour

That's about right for a more detailed armor system. Anything below about 5% of the target surface area (*COUGH*codpiece*COUGH*) is probably not worth bothering with in terms of armor.

Something I wonder about is the wearing of rings in combination with gloves or gauntlets. If a ring is bulky, it may make it difficult to draw the glove onto the hand and make it less flexible.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Anything else?

Maybe the ability to wear robes over armor like in Morrowind.

http://en.wikipedia....medieval_armour

Anything below about 5% of the target surface area (*COUGH*codpiece*COUGH*)

You clearly have never seen MY codpiece! :dancing: :dancing:

No, tbh, I can see your point. Still rooting for codpieces, just out of novelty.

Elan_song.gif

I never really understood the need for tons of gear slots (outside of just wanting to play visual dress up, which is sometimes fun on its own)...to me, gameplay wise, tons of spots just means "more slots to put on kewl enchanted magical gear so I can feel more powerful." Which is fine of itself, but then you often may end up with less interesting/less strong enchantments to balance out the fact you can wear so many things. eg, I think one can also make a system that gives that sort of satisfaction (powerful) without needing earrings of seduction, leg warmers of protection, socks of thievery, scarf of charm, overcoat of debauchery, added on top etc. The more complicated the gear/clothing setup becomes, the more likely I'm personally going to eventually become annoyed/weary of thinking about/sorting all that gear when I just want to play the game. That's just me tho.

So l'll go with the standard "helm/torso/pants/feet/gloves + 2 rings and 1 necklace" response. A belt or cape slot might be fine too, but I also won't mind if they're not there.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Man you guys love needless complexity that actually adds little to the game other than number crunching and more inventory management.

Lets go and be "realistic" instead on this one. When was the last time you saw a suit of plate armor that didn't come with gloves, boots, and a helm? Never. Well guess what, that is true for all armor basically. Point? Okay.

1 Armor Slot = this is your entire set of armor, that includes boots, gloves, and helmet.

2 Ring Slots = self explanatory

1 Back Slot = cape, cowl, shawl, cloak, you get the idea. After considering a "tabard" or light robe might work here too.

1 Neck Slot = Amulets, Necklaces, all that stuff.

1 Belt Slot = Because you need to hold up your pants.

1 Accessory Slot = Glasses, Headband, Gems you keep in a pocket, Leather bands you can fit under gloves, Torc on your arm, earrings, stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else basically.

Edit: After considering some more you could merge Belt and Accessory into one group. I will leave as is for now.

As for weapons...

1 Right Hand Slot = what you are holding in ye old right hand.

1 Left Hand Slot = what you are holding in ye old left hand.

1 Quiver Slot = in case one of your weapons needs ammo.

That is still 7 slots of gear not counting weapons but no longer do we have dudes running around in a plate cuirass, leather greaves, bone shoulder pads, chain gloves, and elven boots. We aren't playing WoW after all I would love not to look like a circus clown reject.

Edited by Karkarov

I never really understood the need for tons of gear slots (outside of just wanting to play visual dress up, which is sometimes fun on its own)...to me, gameplay wise, tons of spots just means "more slots to put on kewl enchanted magical gear so I can feel more powerful." Which is fine of itself, but then you often may end up with less interesting/less strong enchantments to balance out the fact you can wear so many things. eg, I think one can also make a system that gives that sort of satisfaction (powerful) without needing earrings of seduction, leg warmers of protection, socks of thievery, scarf of charm, overcoat of debauchery, added on top etc. The more complicated the gear/clothing setup becomes, the more likely I'm personally going to eventually become annoyed/weary of thinking about/sorting all that gear when I just want to play the game. That's just me tho.

So l'll go with the standard "helm/torso/pants/feet/gloves + 2 rings and 1 necklace" response. A belt or cape slot might be fine too, but I also won't mind if they're not there.

... I want capes and cloaks, visually visible ones, belts wouldn't be too bad to have either, otherwise my Pants of Awesome Speed and Stamina +3 would fall down too often

o.O

(no, except the pant part I am actually serious)

...also, where is my mount? O.o

IB1OsQq.png

5 like in Skyrim

Skyrim had 5 slots?

Anyway, the more -logical- ones the merrier, as long as enchantments don't make them overpowered. And I still haven't seen a game taking advantage of all the fingers for rings.

Hat/mask/helmet

Torso/cuirass

greaves

robe(possibly combining or overriding the torso and leg slots)

cloak

belt

gloves/gauntlets

boots/shoes

amulet

rings