STEAM!

Gorth

Valve only set the prices for their own games. Not getting really upset, but it's a fact it's the publisher not Valve.

Yet Steam is often about the only place to have the localised prices- albeit some other places like Impulse/ Gamestop will simply refuse to sell some games at all to certain regions. If steam really wanted to avoid it they almost certainly have the clout to, but it does benefit them, so they won't push it. I'm not in Australia (in NZ, but we tend to get lumped in with them) so I cannot speak directly for Aus, but in the vast majority of cases it is perfectly possible to avoid the localised prices by avoiding steam and using either another DD or a remailer, let alone a key reseller. But a lot of people simply won't do so.

That ain't intended to exonerate the publishers though, given that Namco went to court to force regionalisation on TWitcher 2. Of course, I could still buy a non regionalised copy from Gamersgate, even then...

Valve only set the prices for their own games. Not getting really upset, but it's a fact it's the publisher not Valve.

Yet Steam is often about the only place to have the localised prices- albeit some other places like Impulse/ Gamestop will simply refuse to sell some games at all to certain regions. If steam really wanted to avoid it they almost certainly have the clout to, but it does benefit them, so they won't push it. I'm not in Australia (in NZ, but we tend to get lumped in with them) so I cannot speak directly for Aus, but in the vast majority of cases it is perfectly possible to avoid the localised prices by avoiding steam and using either another DD or a remailer, let alone a key reseller. But a lot of people simply won't do so.

That ain't intended to exonerate the publishers though, given that Namco went to court to force regionalisation on TWitcher 2. Of course, I could still buy a non regionalised copy from Gamersgate, even then...

What DD don't have regional pricing apart from GOG (with a few exceptions)?

I bought Farming simulator.

I've thought about that one for a while now...it looks like a lot of driving back and forth, not sure how much I'd like that. But still..maybe. I don't like trains, so a simulator that isn't about trains would be nice.

Now thinking about Dungeons, as well. I know, it's supposed to be terrible, but for $7.50 I get both original and sequel, so....argh. Steam sales. This is how I end up with a huge list of little games that I never end up playing. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Now thinking about Dungeons, as well. I know, it's supposed to be terrible, but for $7.50 I get both original and sequel, so....argh. Steam sales. This is how I end up with a huge list of little games that I never end up playing. :lol:

Thought about it, remembered it is terrible and I wouldn't play more than the first level if I bought it ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I don't know about Sweden, but I'd be surprised if physical stores cost less than Steam in France, Germany, and the UK. Maybe Sweden has different tax and incentive systems to make this possible, or it's another case like Australia, where Steam for some reason is more expensive. Amazon have a lot of power to negotiate, and their prices are based on algorithms, but in terms of France, Germany, and the UK, it's rare that new games are more costly on Steam.

Fair enough, I actually don't know what a new game at a place like Game (if they're still around) would cost in Sweden either, but I am pretty sure that larger outlets like MediaMarkt or Elgiganten are cheaper than steam, or mail order giants (in Sweden at least) like Webhallen or CDON. And taxes have nothing to do with it, the VAT in Sweden on games is 25%, so I doubt you'll get it any higher anywhere else.

But my main point was that it's very easy to get a hold of physical copies cheaper than steam. Pretty much every game sells for less from Amazon.co.uk, which includes free shipping (if the game costs more than £25, which new one typically does).

For isntance, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 costs €60 on Steam while you can buy a physical copy for €43 on Amazon. For comparison, Swedish store Webhallen (that has physical stores in some cities as well as mail order) sell it for €52.

All those prices are including any taxes. So yeah, Steam is definitely the most expensive option, but also the most convenient.

I've often found that the physical release costs less than Steam, especially if you pre-order. The sales are why I stick with it, speaking of which I just paid half price for Dishonored, which makes me grin as I really wanted to get it on release but money is tight :)

I don't know about Sweden, but I'd be surprised if physical stores cost less than Steam in France, Germany, and the UK. Maybe Sweden has different tax and incentive systems to make this possible, or it's another case like Australia, where Steam for some reason is more expensive. Amazon have a lot of power to negotiate, and their prices are based on algorithms, but in terms of France, Germany, and the UK, it's rare that new games are more costly on Steam.

Fair enough, I actually don't know what a new game at a place like Game (if they're still around) would cost in Sweden either, but I am pretty sure that larger outlets like MediaMarkt or Elgiganten are cheaper than steam, or mail order giants (in Sweden at least) like Webhallen or CDON. And taxes have nothing to do with it, the VAT in Sweden on games is 25%, so I doubt you'll get it any higher anywhere else.

But my main point was that it's very easy to get a hold of physical copies cheaper than steam. Pretty much every game sells for less from Amazon.co.uk, which includes free shipping (if the game costs more than £25, which new one typically does).

For isntance, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 costs €60 on Steam while you can buy a physical copy for €43 on Amazon. For comparison, Swedish store Webhallen (that has physical stores in some cities as well as mail order) sell it for €52.

All those prices are including any taxes. So yeah, Steam is definitely the most expensive option, but also the most convenient.

If you restrict it to games over £25, maybe, but that's not the entire market. They're different models, Amazon uses algorithms to adjust prices, so games that are 2 or 3 weeks old are getting adjusted. Steam has sales, not just the 4 seasons, other sales too. Also physical stock is different to a digital service, it has to be stored somewhere. Chivalry and War of the Roses aren't more expensive on Steam compared to Amazon, neither is Sleeping Dogs or Dishonored.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

The Sims3 and (more importantly) Sims3 Pets are actually on sale. This begs the question ... would I actually play it? Don't care at all about Sims per se....but, but .... virtual pets! :cat:

DA:Origins is cheap too. I suppose I could get it and finally see what all the fuss is about. Then again, it's unlikely I'd have the patience to find out what the fuss is about. I think the best course of action for me is to stop looking at the Steam page. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

CIv V Gods & Kings is 75% off. Might as well make the gamble.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

dishonored AND torchlight 2 today, looks like i found what im doing the next couple of weeks :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The Sims is a series I would love if only the sims themselves were fully autonomous and didn't require handholding, along the lines of the other Sim-games. Unfortunately, even at the highest 'free will' setting, while they'll do the basic things like eating and going to work, they'll ignore that broken sink while it sprays water all over the house (except for complaining about it every few minutes before merrily ignoring it again).

On UK game pricing, yeah it's awesome, but unfortunately Amazon won't ship games to Australia. There are a number of alternatives, but none are perfect: Zavvi/The Hut offer free shipping and frequent discount codes, but don't remove the VAT component of the prices. DVD.co.uk remove the VAT, but charge shipping (1.39GBP) for every single item with no discounts for bulk orders. 365games (via their localised site) offer pricing in Australian dollars, but are usually a bit dearer than the other two. None have any choice over shipping carrier, all use Royal Mail, which is fine for me, but unlike Amazon it means you can't have expedited and/or tracked delivery.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The Sims is a series I would love if only the sims themselves were fully autonomous and didn't require handholding, along the lines of the other Sim-games. Unfortunately, even at the highest 'free will' setting, while they'll do the basic things like eating and going to work, they'll ignore that broken sink while it sprays water all over the house (except for complaining about it every few minutes before merrily ignoring it again).

What I liked best about Sims1 was the house design/building. Not very interested in sending Sims off to build careers, play/dance with each other, and watching their happiness meters. Torturing the Sims was always funny for 10 minutes, however.

...caved and bought that Batman pack sale. I have the 1st game (unplayed...) so, er, may as well get this one too. Also bought Deus Ex:HR for "someday". Decided to skip Dungeons and DA tho. And now I have to stop watching the Steam page. ;)

I would play the Sims, but then I end up recreating my own life in it. And that's too depressing a sight. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

DA:Origins is cheap too. I suppose I could get it and finally see what all the fuss is about. Then again, it's unlikely I'd have the patience to find out what the fuss is about. I think the best course of action for me is to stop looking at the Steam page. :disguise:

DA:O vanilla was a good game (if you turn a blind eye to certain parts of the story and play the characters with the personality the writers want you to have). Stone Prisoner was a good DLC (well content cut from the game and turned into launch day DLC).

I was even tempted to rebuy it, then I realised I'd have Return to Ostagar and everything that came after it... that would just annoy me to knowingly spend money on :)

I keep looking at the Steam page in case the expansion for Anno 2070 gets a better sale than the 33%

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

the only sims game i remember playing a lot was SimAnt, and that was a pretty long time ago...

fun tho :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

DA:O vanilla was a good game (if you turn a blind eye to certain parts of the story and play the characters with the personality the writers want you to have).

I have a much harder time turning a blind eye on the fact that every section just. runs. on. for. too. damn. long.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif