STEAM!

Gorth

Speaking of great voice acting and story:

All three Deathspank games are 75% off. Drat, I already own them all :)

EDIT: ok the Baconing is 75% the other two seem to be 50%

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

No, from a pure game perspective it's not that remarkable. But it's probably still my most memorable game of the year simply because it's greater than the sum of its parts.

Then again, I don't have some innate resistance to "OMG QTE must be teh suck." It's not a hard game in the slightest (although I did die at times), and it's basically just an interactive story. But it's an awesome one with some writing and VA that other companies should take note of. It's the only game I've played where despite knowing what the probable outcome of said quicktime event was going to be, I found myself pretty much trying to break my Q key because a bit of me was hoping I was wrong.

Cool you don't like it, but if you can't understand why other people like it, it's on you not them as far as I'm concerned.

If you enjoy pressing keys when told to and repeatedly hitting the same key that's fine. GOTY, would press buttons like a monkey in a study on reward systems in simians again.

Warning about Walking Dead, it has started to bug out big time with me with C&C. I have now two times finished episode 1 with a fresh save, and both times something got trasfered wrong to episode 2. The game just desided I saved the person I didn't save.

Could be something in my end, don't know, but just saying.

I noticed the same, but I got it after rewinding my save a little.

I noticed Sleeping Dogs is on sale. I know action/sandbox games don't appeal to everyone, but I thought it did the Hong Kong action movie justice and I enjoyed it from start to finish.

I've heard that Max Payne is inspired by film noir and hard-boiled detective stories, but the trailers seem to be a 'grizzled' white dude killing a bunch of criminal Latinos to save a white woman.

After LA Noire, I'm hesitant to pick up another Rockstar game. It was a great game in places, but the Homicide line was about as cheap and skeevy as anything I've seen in a video game.

What about Prototype 2? I don't know anything about that.

What's up with all the hostility in here all of a sudden?

Shut up ****! I will ****ing cut you!

Just kidding, I love you all

cutest-bunny-ever.jpg

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

If you enjoy pressing keys when told to and repeatedly hitting the same key that's fine. GOTY, would press buttons like a monkey in a study on reward systems in simians again.

I enjoy the entire experience. The gameplay isn't that great, but the level of story telling is fantastic. You may say "well it might as well just be a movie." Maybe you're right. People like to digest this down to cost. How much does it cost? How long is this movie? There's a level of interactivity with it that also doesn't come with any normal movie.

If you're not able to get past the gameplay, that's fine. Obviously that aspect is the most important to you to the point where the other stuff isn't enough value. AwesomeOcelot has different priorities in what he wants out of games. If you're not capable of understanding why other people may like the game, then that can only be on you. People do like it. It's not because they're monkeys that are clearly a few cans short of a six pack. It doesn't mean I like ALL my games to be like that, but the narrative has always been an important part of my gaming experience.

Also note, I didn't say game of the year. But it is easily the most memorable game I have played this year. My GOTY is XCOM, but events that happen in Walking Dead are so well done that when I'm presented with a particular choice it is often quite memorable. My most memorable gaming moment this year comes from The Walking Dead though, even if it's more interactive movie than "full fledged game."

Perspective is important. I don't give 2 iotas for the Call of Duty games. But I can still understand why people like them and why they are successful. And they are definitely filled with more more involved gameplay than The Walking Dead, yet I find myself infinitely looking forward to an annual season of The Walking Dead game than I am for the next Call of Duty game.

Edited by alanschu

For walking dead I'm more surprised you people are choking up over a game more than enjoying the QTEs :p

I'd wait until XCOM gets cheaper, it's fun and all but just it feels like it's missing something to me.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For walking dead I'm more surprised you people are choking up over a game more than enjoying the QTEs :p

They're not really QTEs though, they're so easy that you'll never fail which removes the frustraition of retrys and they never last long enough to be much of a bore. They just add a tactile sensation when your character struggles with something/someone, I don't know if the game would be better or worse without them but they work well enough.

Also, I bought Max Payne 3 and it's nearly 30 gigs in size. What the hell?

Edited by Serrano

I really, really want X-Com, but am going to hold off on buying it.

I'd wait until XCOM gets cheaper, it's fun and all but just it feels like it's missing something to me.

X-Com is a blast, and worth it even at full price. It's got flaws, but nothing that can't be overlooked.

/unabashed fanboy

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Couple of good sales but I don't want Max Payne 3 70 GB of cutscenes to fill up my SSD drive, and SLeeping Dongs Hong Kong setting doesn't appeal to me (unlike say, Yakuza or Way of the Samurai).

And Portal 2 I wouldn't even play if it was free. Plus recently I picked up Darksiders franchise on a whim.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

A few bugfixes? :p

Heh, that too - nothing like losing two Ironman games due to those. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really, really want X-Com, but am going to hold off on buying it.

That was my feeling as well (although I did take the chance and paid $50 for it on gamersgate). In hindsight, I would probably have recommended myself to wait until it hits the bargain bin. It really, really depends on what you are looking for in an xcom game.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Umm, yes. That makes comparisons a bit tricky :)

It's a very simple squad based combat game with some nice cinematics and story, but it's very short and very simple in nature (unlike the original which had bugger all when it came to presentation, but relied a lot on game mechanics to allow you to write your own story).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm going to wait and see how well it's supported, all the reports I've seen is that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is buggy as hell. It looks like a great game, there was a Kickstarter for the more classic XCOM experience which I'm probably going to get around to buying at some point. Don't actually care much about the IP, I think there's a place for a less complicated TBS game with a lot of the elements of the original XCOM games. I think if they'd have shot for an updated version of classic XCOM with fancy graphics it would have been even buggier.

I'm going to wait and see how well it's supported, all the reports I've seen is that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is buggy as hell. It looks like a great game

I wouldn't call it 'buggy as hell'... I'm almost through the game and only noticeable bug during the entire game was a guy with jet packs flying up and getting stuck inside the structure of a UFO. It's fun while it lasts, which isn't very long. Probably just as well, as the simplified game mechanics would lead to boredom if it dragged out.

Edit: Not sure what qualifies as 'cheap' elsewhere in the world, but Gamersgate currently has it for $35 (which is dirt cheap for Aussies).

Edit: Not sure what qualifies as 'cheap' elsewhere in the world, but Gamersgate currently has it for $35 (which is dirt cheap for Aussies).

Your government hates you.

I expect a new game to be $50 or $60 depending on how 'hot' it is. XCom is in the $50 range. 66% to 75% off the sticker price is 'cheap' for a game. If I got X-Com at $17 to $12.50, I'd consider it a cheap buy.

That said, I don't always wait for games to be cheap. I got DX:HR when it was 25% off. I buy a number of games new. It just depends on how much I want it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Well, I bought Dishonored for $80, but full price games are normally around $100 down here. No, it isn't the government, in fact they have been discussing legislative initiatives to crack down on the price fixing taking place (due to lack of competition between the few distributors operating down here). There are not extra taxes on games, so there is no "natural" explanation for why the same digitally distributed game from the same online store adds 50%-100% when you enter your region code :)

X-Com enemy unknown has not that many bugs. More like FONV than Vampire Bloodlines. But of course, having a bug when playing on ironman surely has a more impressive psychological effect than playing on normal.

After having played Dishonored, I tried Darksiders 2 (fun but not that impressive) and now playing Dark Messiah (it was cheap on gamersgate recently).