What you did today

Tale

Arrived back from Europe earlier today. Now trying to recover from jetlag. Between them, Finnair and Qantas made it a memorable trip for all the wrong reasons.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hey, Americans.

So for some reason they're holding the National Communication Association conference in Orlando, Florida. To be precise, inside Disney World.

Assuming some people have been there (e.g. Hurlshot), how long does it take to get from Orlando Airport (MCO) to Disney World generally? I'm looking to land at 9.30am then make it for my own paper at 12.30, to save on hotel fees.

Can't wait to hang around a thousand academics analysing the evils of Disney World even as they skip half the conference to have ****tails and go on rides. Not.

I have no idea. I did go to DisneyWorld about 16 years ago for a High School Robotics competition, but I don't remember much about it. It's actually about 3,000 miles away, I'm much closer to Disneyland.

GD is your best bet, since he lived in Florida. But he is out in the wild right now.

I'm a little surprised your conference isn't at the Epcot Center? That isn't actually in DisneyWorld, just nearby.

They seem to be using the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort (screw you, weird quoting formatting rules), which is where they recommend we stay. I usually look around for a cheaper option nearby, but in this case it doesn't seem to be easy.

Hell, I didn't even know a Disney World existed.

Disney World has a bunch of different areas that are not within the park itself, which I'm guessing your resort is part of. Usually you take a shuttle or something into the park. There are also water parks that are separate as well. You are closer to Epcott actually. This is a gigantic area, by the way, the size of a large city.

Disney-World-Map-Orlando.jpg

Edited by Hurlshot

My brother called me yesterday, talking in normal conversation tone. I ask him what's up, and he tells me he was ran over by a car and he's at the ER. I totally freaked out, but he quickly told me he was mostly okay, but his knee hurt like hell. Today he went to do his exam in idontknowwhat in the morning.

Since getting my job back, bad news are piling up, even worse than my games backlog.

Today is my 34th birthday. It's going pretty well, having a good time at work and everything.

It's a bit odd this year though. My family is not talking to me. A few weeks ago, my mom, dad, and two sisters told me that they have a problem with my wife. Basically they feel she is rude and does not help out at all at family events, and is ungrateful. They said that she needs to change or they don't want her at family functions anymore. I was devastated.

Their complaints are all very petty things, like she doesn't help clear the table after dinner. I tried to convince them that maybe they just need to ask her for help, and let her know when she says something offensive, but they are unwilling to do that. I suggested family therapy, and they all scoffed and said my wife is the one with the issues.

It's pretty messed up. My wife is great, by the way. She amazes me every day with the stuff she does at work and at home. I'm pretty sure there is nothing she could do that would make my mother happy. I told my family that and they said they wanted to take a break. So yeah, I'm probably not going to get calls for my birthday from them. I did receive a card with a check from my parents, but I disposed of the check and the card just says 'love Mom and Dad.' I kind of feel any further communication needs to have a mediator, a third party to help give perspective. It's weird, we do have two kids and I just can't imagine that my parents are willing to cut off heir relationship with them because of this. It makes no sense to me.

It's been eating me up for a couple weeks, but at least I'm back at work and I can focus on that.

Happy Birthday!!!!

Family beefs are hard to deal with since everyone will have a side they are unwilling to budge from. Also, they will feel like they have to share the same opinion so it doesnt cause waves in their circles. (IE: Maybe your dad doesnt feel as strongly on the matter as your mom but he's duty bound to support her side) Maybe you can pull him to the side and get a better read on the situation?

@Labadal: Here's hoping your brother has a speedy recovery.

I still hope you can have a happy birtday. Unfortunately, the situation you're in is more common than one would think. I know a few people irl that have the same problem.

@Gifted1: Me too! Being his slave is tiresome. There are a lot of cars outside, I'll go out for little bit...

Happy Birthday Hurlshot :)

Sorry to hear about your family trouble. I've just had the best time in years with my family, after not having seen them for a couple of years. Even the weather turned benign, adding to the overall positive experience.

The trip back down under was somewhat of an Odyssey. First a number of hours traveling to Copenhagen. Then flying to Helsinki. So far so good. Then Finnair went from economy class to fail class in the book of Gorth on the flight to Singapore. The entertainment system was completely non-functional, which meant not as much as a headset offered to drown out the engine noise and worse, the squealing little pests, that people insists on dragging onboard to terrorize their fellow passengers. With no advance warning, it meant I didn't even have a book to pass the time. Longest 12 hour flight ever and an airline on Gorth's no-fly list. Qantas has the dubious honour of being the closest I've ever been to a fatal aircraft experience, but it was less bad this time, as the aircraft engineers took no. 1 engine apart and fixed it while the passengers were waiting, so it could depart with only 3 hours delay. At least the entertainment system was working, so we could watch tv/movies while waiting for the plane to get fixed.

Finally in Australia, it was time for some grocery shopping, a shower and a toothbrush then getting a bit of sleep after 48 hours (I've never been able to sleep at all on airplanes or airports).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I sleep like a baby at airports. I usually wake up when some security guard is already carrying me around on his back.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Similar to what happens on your nights out, right?

I usually end up sleeping during takeoff, waking up for the meal, reading a bit, sleeping a bit, and lasting the last few hours with movies. Got a 14 hour flight coming up next week but should be fine, unless I have bowel troubles or something.

Happy Birthday hurlshot, obviously not much I can say to help but hope it tides over well - though it might take a good while.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes guys. It was a good day, the students were great, and for dinner I had this Papa Asada thing. Basically a grilled potato with steak, cheese, corn, and anything else unhealthy you can think of. It was delicious, but I probably need to wait a year before I eat another.

Happy B-Day. Sounds like a yummy dinner and something my hubs would like a lot. :) Sorry about the family stuff...seems weird that they're only voicing it now and sounds like it's a matter of different social expectations/styles. Hope it resolves for you/there's a solution soon.

(Giants baseball) Pence's bunt was a thing of beauty, heh. I absolutely love that Scutaro seems to be doing so well for the Giants. And I love that my home team is giving me something to still cheer for when my Red Sox are trying to set a new record for finding ways to lose ... both on and off the field. I may be a RS fan, but man that Boston media ... they are nutso.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Happy B-Day. Sounds like a yummy dinner and something my hubs would like a lot. :) Sorry about the family stuff...seems weird that they're only voicing it now and sounds like it's a matter of different social expectations/styles. Hope it resolves for you/there's a solution soon.

(Giants baseball) Pence's bunt was a thing of beauty, heh. I absolutely love that Scutaro seems to be doing so well for the Giants. And I love that my home team is giving me something to still cheer for when my Red Sox are trying to set a new record for finding ways to lose ... both on and off the field. I may be a RS fan, but man that Boston media ... they are nutso.

Angel Pagan has been a blast to watch lately, he's like a man possessed on the basepaths.

Always glad to see others with family drama, helps me realize my extended family isn't a frightful rarity. It does provide a nice outlet for anger though - cousin hung herself, uncle told me and I said I was sad it wasn't him. Happy Birthday to Hurlshot as well, funny I thought you were at least 40 and not close to my age, heh.

Have to go for a sleep study today, hopefully I don't have apnea or anything worse (such as my heart stopping while I sleep).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My fuel milage has been terrible the past couple of weeks, I've been meaning to take it in.

Today I noticed a trail behind my car and a puddle. That finally got me to do it. Looks like one of the hoses has a leak.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

School is back in session. Start every day at 8:30 to catch the bus and be on time for my Russian class.

Also

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-08-23/obama-courts-young-voters-battleground/57256664/1?csp=34news-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29

Totally gonna be in the crowd that day. (Yes it will sacrafice classes, but at least one teacher said "instead of class, go see him!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Angel Pagan has been a blast to watch lately, he's like a man possessed on the basepaths.

Indeed. The whole team in general has been on a tear. It's delicious. :)

Today I woke up late and am still puttering around in my loungewear while muttering about the possible dire repercussions of Apple winning their lawsuit against Samsung.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts