What you did today

Tale

I sold the Plymouth this weekend. I made a little over $1k on it. Not bad so long as I consider the value of my time to be zero. But it was fun. I'll keep a look out for another project.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Put 8gb in my 2yo surfing/htpc/light gaming mac mini in the morning... didn't do much. Upgraded OS to Mountain Lion, now this is so fast it's almost scary.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

i guess thats better than recycling cats

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

There's something immensely reassuring about writing the same rubbish, incessantly, since February 2004. :disguise:

We're like, sign up buddies. Horray.

Gorgon

Member Since 10 Feb 2004

Online Last Active Today, 02:21 PM

Edited by Gorgon
  • Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Going to Hong Kong next week. If anybody knows of something that you can not go to heaven without having done in Hong Kong, I'm all ears.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ive been to Hong Kong a few times but all my stories are about drinking and wenching. I suppose you could take a trip to Stanley Market and check stuff out or perhaps take the ferry to Kowloon Island. Theres also an amusement park some girl took me to. I cant remember much about that except you had to take a cable car to get to it which always scares the poop out of me.

I've heard the tailors in Hong Kong are fan-tabulistic. As in for a really good price you can get a bloody good hand-tailored suit rather then just some off-the-rack thing...

Edit: On the personal note, survived one of the worst freaking migraines I've had in ages today. Now I'm forcing myself to eat something adn re-hydrate. That and the important things of checking email and forums now that I can look at a computer screen without piercing agony flaring up in my forebrain...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Going to Hong Kong next week. If anybody knows of something that you can not go to heaven without having done in Hong Kong, I'm all ears.

Go to Repulse Bay. If you can get out of the city, dip your toe into the New Territories.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've heard the tailors in Hong Kong are fan-tabulistic. As in for a really good price you can get a bloody good hand-tailored suit rather then just some off-the-rack thing...

Heard that too.

Edit: On the personal note, survived one of the worst freaking migraines I've had in ages today. Now I'm forcing myself to eat something adn re-hydrate. That and the important things of checking email and forums now that I can look at a computer screen without piercing agony flaring up in my forebrain...

Ouch, familiar. Happily have been a bit rarer of late, a "regular" lifestyle seems to help.

Wow, everyone is going to such exotic places. Except Calax. :lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I will admit that my first reaction to Calax flying to Long Island (locally known as "Lawn Guylun") was "hopefully he's just changing planes at JFK."

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I will admit that my first reaction to Calax flying to Long Island (locally known as "Lawn Guylun") was "hopefully he's just changing planes at JFK."

Nope, des Moines > Charlotte NC (with a 5 hr delay)> la guardia> 20 minute car ride to oyster bay

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Nope, des Moines > Charlotte NC (with a 5 hr delay)> la guardia> 20 minute car ride to oyster bay

When I flew out to San Diego a few years back, I had to change at Charlotte NC.

Got various grief from the security guys there, after having cleared all the security at Heathrow the ones at Charlotte decided that my grandfather's tiepin I'd inherited had to be confiscated or mailed back to my home rather then be allowed to continue to fly with me, because it turns out (and I didn't know it until they found it) it has a small 4 mm blade concealed inside it.

Of course, the other trouble I had was the intense urge to start mimicing their accents. I had to keep stopping myself from adopting that whole southern drawl. I just didn't think it would add that well to the hassle I was getting... :shifty:

I think hubs and I have reached a stage where the PiTA of travel has become more trouble than it's worth 99% of the time. Especially since we don't like flying. Of course, I'm sure that will change in another 15-20 years and we'll turn into traveling semi-retirees, or something. Maybe.

And today I've been....doing the usual stuff. Sun, yard, music, food, sun, TV, yard...nothing new here.

Also, to repeat, I love, love, love, my black cat.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Last night I was a sub for my father in laws' mens league golf team. I had golfed a full 18 holes that morning, and was absolute ****. Fortunately I gave a much better showing for the evening 9. At first I felt a fair bit of pressure, but after the first two holes I realized these were just a bunch of old guys who love playing golf and getting drunk.

It was a pretty nice feeling having a group of 8 compliment you on making some great shots.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I think my exotic travel happened when I was a kid. My mother used to work for P&O when I was growing up, so we'd manage to get relatively not-so-expensive cruises in.

Down West Africa, around the Med, up the Bosphorus.. Although hitting Odessa and Yalta during glasnost days in the early 90's was kind of interesting.

It was always slightly bizarre to see Sierra Leone in the news and recognise streets of Freetown I'd walked when I was 8 years old..

And being about a mile off-shore of Madeira on new years eve and seeing the whole island light up with the fireworks displays is one that's going to stick with me.

Compared to that, in the past ten years, I think I've only managed to get out of the country once, and that was a flight to California for a friends wedding. Hm, although I do have another wedding in Mexico next year that I've got to renew my passport for..

Thunderstorm here, was watching lightning striking the towers nearby. Sadly storm's over with and past us.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Htpc/light gaming rig's been acting weird for a couple of days. Thought it was a compatibility problem with the new OS. Was wrong, HD s.m.a.r.t. is "failing". Now mildly wondering how ****ed the thing is due to my backups being from an OS installed on a failing hd. :p

I forgot to mention that after 48 hours in rice, my wet phone has now returned fully to life. I shall dub it the Ricephone in an ironic act of self-racism.

Also, I've now installed my Monkey Island (Steam special edition) on it via Scumm. All hail emulation!

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that after 48 hours in rice, my wet phone has now returned fully to life. I shall dub it the Ricephone in an ironic act of self-racism.

Also, I've now installed my Monkey Island (Steam special edition) on it via Scumm. All hail emulation!

For the amusing anecdote - back during unversity, one of my friends got a waterproof cellphone because he was into scuba and such. So he was bragging about it and showing it off to us at the pub. To prove how good it was, he then dropped it in his pint.

Several seconds went by, and then he suddenly realised he was supposed to put a small plug in the powersocket on the phone first.

By the time he fished it out.. let's just say his phone was a touch..inebriated.

Htpc/light gaming rig's been acting weird for a couple of days. Thought it was a compatibility problem with the new OS. Was wrong, HD s.m.a.r.t. is "failing". Now mildly wondering how ****ed the thing is due to my backups being from an OS installed on a failing hd. :p

Heh, turns out I'm in warranty. So somebody else gets to poke into the aluminum cube and replace the hd for no additional cost to myself. Trying not to fistpump too much until I've actually gotten it back, can't remember getting the extended warranty so have to account for them looking at it wrong in the shop. :p

Edit: Oh look, I did get it back in the day. Should've probably checked it first instead of whining and moaning for a day.

Edited by Nepenthe

Been somewhat tired and cranky and all that. So since I've had to spend a chunk on various things this last week or so, I decided to have a splurge for myself and really shatter my budget this week.

Picked up a pair of Arturo Fuente Anejo 77's, and a Montecristo no.4 for this engagement party I'm going to, still have to head out to find a really good bottle of port. Splashed out on some books, and a random-make-her-smile gift for a friend.

• Like 1