RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Regarding FF: (Happy News for me IMO)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173093/Square_Enix_to_avoid_largescale_internal_development_after_Final_Fantasy_XIII2.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

"With a large-scale development team, we didn't use our time well," Toryiama said. "How do you communicate to everyone in the department what the drive of the game is?" The company had previously been using the story as the basis for development, but as it changed, it was tough to keep that many people abreast of the changes. "We decided we needed to create more practical milestones, not story-based ones."

"Because it's a large-scale project, we had to keep it secret, but this led to user testing happening way too late in the process," he said. "We heard a lot of feedback about things we needed to fix, and we decided we would do that with FFXIII-2. ... We decided that we would have a milestone every month, and realized we needed to applied more western technology and production techniques. We learned this not only from GDC, but also from Eidos [now owned by Square Enix]."

"We are also thinking that we will not do large-scale internal development any longer." he said. "We have a lot of great creators in Square Enix, but for larger-scale development we will be doing more distributed and outsourced development to reach our targets on time."

Edited by C2B

Perspective.

Comming soon.

Geniality Pure!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

They said that 400k dollar + 200k dollar shipping are gone already just for the pledge rewards. That's a quite high number and should make people understand, why i. e. Dead State isn't going for a lot physical rewards.

Also Double Fine get's their project working titles from bar tours (the bar names), heh.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Sneaking around is easy with that teleport ability, heh. Looks like fun though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm,

Radical Entertainment to Close its Doors?

Prototype developer Radical Entertainment has shut down.

The news was confirmed today on Twitter by senior audio designer Rob Bridgett, who formerly worked for the studio. "RIP Radical Entertainment 1991-2012," Bridgett wrote.

We've reached out to both Activision and Radical and will update with any official comment we receive.

Story developing...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Checking wikipedia, 3 of their last 5 games were cancelled. Only thing they've had since 2008 are the two Prototype games. Ouch.

But still, Prototype was a decent success I thought. Even 2. It doesn't seem like Activision to kill the developer of it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Next: Raven Games shutdown. One after another. Great job Activision.

Soon the compulsive whiners won't have anyone else to complain about but EA, since Activision will have 4 studios left, churning out fish and panda.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's about time someone started churning out more pandas.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

yeah, radical entertainment is an example of the type of studio that no one is going to miss.

I hope the people all find work elsewhere, but the projects that company developed were primarily uninspired mediocrity

edit: no ill wishes to any individuals, but as a company, they just never made anything truly great

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So, any guesses on what the next Total War game will be. American civil war probably. It's still got line infantry and cavalry, would not be that difficult to adapt the engine.

There's already been two Japanese titles so I don't think we will be seeing China or Korea as a setting.

Everything else has pretty much been done once before.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

im way more excited for rome 2 than a civil war game.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I don't know if the new engine justifies a new game. Shogun Total war was the first in the series and it's very dated now. Rome 2 will look similar, high resolutions and impressive looking campaign map, but similar.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Aside from the fact that they probably can't make the engine work, think WW1.

It's still got massed infantry and cavalry, the Uhlans were expressly banned from being reformed in the treaty of versaille. Early tanks wouldn't be a problem, biplanes and zeppelins would. The air would be the new combat theater, not a bad selling point. It's an incredibly rich environment.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

The trailer looks great and controversially has (gasps) the swastika in it. Ain't that illegal in some European countries?

At least Germany. I remember PAradox had to put an Iron cross instead of it for Hearts of Iron because the game cover was banned in Germany.

yeah, radical entertainment is an example of the type of studio that no one is going to miss.

I hope the people all find work elsewhere, but the projects that company developed were primarily uninspired mediocrity

edit: no ill wishes to any individuals, but as a company, they just never made anything truly great

There's plenty of people that really liked the two Prototype games. Not to mention Huke Ultimate Destruction which started it all. They do have a following.

Don't present your opinion as some fact that counts for everyone.

Edited by C2B

There's plenty of people that really liked the two Prototype games. Not to mention Huke Ultimate Destruction which started it all. They do have a following.

Don't present your opinion as some fact that counts for everyone.

Specially when there's people like me who looked forward to what projects they might have undertaken.

Anyways, it seems studios are suffering for the poor project choices of a few executives trying to squeeze cash out of game companies. Somehow this is starting to look like Bain Capital, executives acquire a successful IP then try to clone it. If its a success they repeat the process and and take credit for its success, if it fails they still cash their checks and they just fire the developers.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif