RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

It's good. But then again you disliked Max Payne, so there's definately something wrong with your taste in games. Which would make think you might not like Alan Wake either.

I enjoyed the game, but at full price didn't think I got my money's worth.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

I didn't really ask for the price.

How's the game?

It's terribly repetitive. It's probably the worst game I bought for 2010. It's an action game that's not quite sure if it wants to be horror, not sure if it's wants to be episodic, and was unable to commit. So you end up with 1 enemy type, cameras that dramatically announce every encounter, and you lose your equipment loadout after every mission. Sometimes in the middle of a mission.

The narrative wasn't worth remembering either.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

How's the game?

It's terribly repetitive. It's probably the worst game I bought for 2010. It's an action game that's not quite sure if it wants to be horror, not sure if it's wants to be episodic, and was unable to commit. So you end up with 1 enemy type, cameras that dramatically announce every encounter, and you lose your equipment loadout after every mission. Sometimes in the middle of a mission.

i agree with 100% of this post

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

How's the game?

i agree with 100% of this post

And I disagree with it to 70%.

;)

Anyway, Carmageddon just broke the 50'000. The guys from Andromeda are at a little less than 20'000.

350$ for a boxed version? Thanks, I'll pass.

If they add in a low-tier DRM free version I might donate as a happy birthday-present for myself. (DRM free means no ****ing Steam either.)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Indeed. It took me many years until I realized that there aren't robots in the non-german game. It didn't lowered my joy with that game, though.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am waiting for so many years... And now I am in doubts that it will ever get released.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Anyway, Carmageddon just broke the 50'000. The guys from Andromeda are at a little less than 20'000.

Tempting... very tempting. I've been hoping (and drawing a lot of pentagrams and spilling a lot of chicken blood at full moon) for a real Carmageddon game for a very long time. Ever since I realised my old Carmageddon (and Splat Pack) wouldn't run properly post 3Dfx Glide driver enabled cards :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wolfenstein 3D 20th anniversary so you can play in your browser - http://wolfenstein.bethsoft.com/game_NA.php

And some commentary on it by Carmack.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Anyone heard anything about Tera? I've heard that it's exciting but dont' know personally anyone who's playing it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In case you guys don't know about it yet, there's this mod for ArmA2 that has pushed ArmA2 to 5th place in Steam's top sellers list. people are buying ArmA2 just to play it (btw, if you do want to try it eventually, DON'T buy it on Steam, it will make things, ugh, unnecessarily complicated, buy a regular version of ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead and combine it with ArmA Free).

the mod is called DayZ, and is arguably "the best zombie survival game of the decade" and "the STALKER MMO that never was" as a lot of people call it. google it, you'll be surprised.

it's in Alpha stage atm (meaning there's almost no content in it), but people play it for the challenge and for the emotions. it's very brutal

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

yeah i was reading a bit about DayZ earlier today, im really excited about the possibilities of the game, but probably won't play it until it moves into a more finished state, i tend to stay away from projects like this until they get most of the kinks worked out. hopefully that happens around the time i start getting tired of diablo 3...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Got excited about the DayZ mod, played it all night long. It's a bit boring after a while and it's got bugs.

You always find the loot laying on the floor in big storehouses. It's not worth your time and bullets killing zombies, since they don't carry anything. Once you get inside a house, you've been inside all houses. And the terrain is supposed to be huge, but it's homogeneous. Same houses, same everything.

Zombies can hit you through walls if you're touching the wall. They also get stuck sometimes, trying to reach you through that wall and getting stuck somewhere in the middle, you can see its ass on one side and its face on the other side of the wall. And the zombi is crossing the wall, slowly. It'll get unstuck eventually.

The way they run is also weird. Sometimes they accelerate to incredible speed, like a car, which doesn't make sense. And they don't even run to you, they just run somewhere in your general direction at this speed. It looks like a total bug.

Also, once they aggro on you, they don't change target. I got attacked by 2 zombies, locked myself in a room and the other dudes I was with just went around the zombies to loot stuff, cause the zombies wouldn't attack them. Ridiculously stupid AI.

Probably an arma engine bug, but in narrow places you can get stuck yourself. They should've used source engine. Their engine is really ****ty. I get 30 fps with a high end machine. What's that about?

I hope it gets better in time. The idea is pretty cool, but they should introduce some things that you gain after a while just cause you survived long enough, like endurance or something. Something realistic since they're all about realism.

Edited by Delfosse

I hope it gets better in time.

Here, let Wikipedia explain this to you:

"The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be a feature complete."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

It's in alpha. It's not even feature complete and you 'review' is as a full game and complain about bugs and not enough content? Wait for the beta, at least, before your whining.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Played all night on European servers, everyone teamed up with everyone, killed zombies, didn't do much.

Logged on a Russian server. ****ing hell. Everyone attacked me on sight, killed 3 guys, got killed by the 4th cause I tried to team up with him instead of killing him on sight (grave mistake). When it's played like that, it's about a very different kind of survival then, like a slow counter-strike. But that was pretty ****ing cool. Now that I can dig.