RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

I would be ok with origin personally... if they didn't have a different computing cloud for each game.

the Battlelog/Autolog/Whateverlog system, plus Cerberus Network, Plus Bioware social... All of these run IN ADDITION to Origin. But they're only used by the one company who is demanding Origin be a part of the package. Pick a bloody drm/cloud computing system and USE IT!

Steam doesn't fall into the same catagory because A) all Valve games are steam only, without any other programs and B) many of the programs requiring that secondary system are from other publishers that aren't Steam specific.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Cerberus Network etc were prior to Origin though. No reason to expect them to go back and retroactively integrate them all, same as you don't get Cerberus Network for ME1. I'd presume that in future they'll be integrated if only to rationalise support and development costs.

The "Battlelog" feature for BF3 (which Ros has been complaining about) is INTRODUCED with that game on origin

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Probably already posted here someplace....but if no one has seen it yet...about Obsidian here...

go go obsidian Feargus....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6343997.html?...%3Bheadline%3B2

Wow...that puts the price tag on Obs....a Million a MONTH!!!

Other comments, hate DRM stuff and requiring authentication via online methods...that said...I DO love DLC content that ADDS to the game...

Here's a Jawdropper...for me at least. I thought Console sales were bad with Piracy overseas...but from this report they are down from total sales in the US

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6343451/56-of...ws%3Btitle%3B12

Summary: 56% of console gamers do not buy the games they play, they borrow them from others and play them.

Believable or not?

If they could force everyone to buy the game who wanted to try it...do you think it would drive up sales or drive customers away?

Edited by greylord

Here's a Jawdropper...for me at least. I thought Console sales were bad with Piracy overseas...but from this report they are down from total sales in the US

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6343451/56-of...ws%3Btitle%3B12

Summary: 56% of console gamers do not buy the games they play, they borrow them from others and play them.

Believable or not?

If they could force everyone to buy the game who wanted to try it...do you think it would drive up sales or drive customers away?

They are already trying that, with multiplayer code, which must be redeemed from PSN or Xbox Live... In my country we do not have PS store nor xbox live gold available.... so here it is definately driving customers away. People are skiping these titles completely or they are buying them when they hit 10-20 EUR price tag.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Latest Modern Warfare 3 controversy generator

Ok, they took that down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhhpeLUyjbQ hope that works

In any event, just a a FP view of a little girl getting exploded in a terrorist attack.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Probably already posted here someplace....but if no one has seen it yet...about Obsidian here...

go go obsidian Feargus....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6343997.html?...%3Bheadline%3B2

Wow...that puts the price tag on Obs....a Million a MONTH!!!

Other comments, hate DRM stuff and requiring authentication via online methods...that said...I DO love DLC content that ADDS to the game...

Stay classy Obsidian :thumbsup:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

i have to say, that interview with Feargus has to be one of the best interviews from a game developer head I've ever had the pleasure of reading. It's very realistic, and shows an attitude that I wish more companies had. "fight used game sales by making your game too big and awesome to ever want to sell" The mentality on display is a big part of why i like buying obsidian games. :sorcerer::thumbsup::sorcerer:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I don't know, I found what Feargus said to be smart and intelligent, but with their business model, those decisions are always out of their hands, so it doesn't feel like he's taking a huge risk in saying this.

I laughed at one of the comments that said that Bethesda was having the right idea, contrary to most of their competitors. That's the company that now makes all of its games into Steamworks games, people! That's DRM!

I laughed at one of the comments that said that Bethesda was having the right idea, contrary to most of their competitors. That's the company that now makes all of its games into Steamworks games, people! That's DRM!

The used games market is predominantly console-based, so DRM isn't really part of that discussion.

That interview was actually rather...unremarkable?

Make games that people wanna buy and keep is now considered a "new" business strategy? More like back to it's roots.

its so sad that its an attitude thats been ignored by mainstream gaming press in favor of talking about micro-transactions and iphone apps. making good games should be the goal of every company, and should be their only talking point. ea and activision would rather sell you "services" than products, because they are hoping to somehow/someday make farmville or WoW money on single player games.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Make games that people wanna buy and keep is now considered a "new" business strategy? More like back to it's roots.

its so sad that its an attitude thats been ignored by mainstream gaming press in favor of talking about micro-transactions and iphone apps. making good games should be the goal of every company, and should be their only talking point. ea and activision would rather sell you "services" than products, because they are hoping to somehow/someday make farmville or WoW money on single player games.

I think the issue's with gamers, not with "the press", or even the publishers. There's too many people who will just buy the new shiny thing when it comes out and turn in the previous thing without having completed it... :/

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I think the issue's with gamers, not with "the press", or even the publishers. There's too many people who will just buy the new shiny thing when it comes out and turn in the previous thing without having completed it... :/

But that's not against what was said by Feargus... You know, if the game is such big pile of ****, that people do not want to finish it, they just sell it so it does not turn into such a big loss... Same with a 6 hour long game with no replay value... Who wants to keep such games?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours