What are you playing now?

Gorth

"Bethesda does a good job with the whole open-world explore and conquer thing"

No. No, they don't. Obsidian did it better with FO:LV. The only good job Betehsda does is somehow manage to sell millions of copies of some of the worst games ever. FO:LV > ALL ES SERIES GAMES PUT TOGETHER!

Anyways, I am playing: FO:LV, FO, FO2, NHL 12, and NWN.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

FO:LV > ALL ES SERIES GAMES PUT TOGETHER!

True, but Obsidian had the advantage of having the game engine premade for them - while Bethesda have to rewrite much of gembryo for each game. Where Obsidian is better (and where I'm guessing you primarily judge quality) is in the story and getting the immersion right. In Fallout 3 especially I was so annoyed that you had such an illogical construction of civilization, they made the wasteland and the charred landscapes so beautiful, but cities had no means of food production and where too close to one another. This was luckily remedied in Vegas.

Fortune favors the bald.

True, but Obsidian had the advantage of having the game engine premade for them - while Bethesda have to rewrite much of gembryo for each game. Where Obsidian is better (and where I'm guessing you primarily judge quality) is in the story and getting the immersion right. In Fallout 3 especially I was so annoyed that you had such an illogical construction of civilization, they made the wasteland and the charred landscapes so beautiful, but cities had no means of food production and where too close to one another. This was luckily remedied in Vegas.

I'm under the impression that there's also a lot more people in Beth, which would kind of make this a moot point. I mean, seriously? You're saying that they have poor dialogue because they "have to" redo the engine? :blink:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm under the impression that there's also a lot more people in Beth, which would kind of make this a moot point. I mean, seriously? You're saying that they have poor dialogue because they "have to" redo the engine? :blink:

Not to mention the huge amount of funds they have access to.

*cough* And as much time to develop their game as they want. *cough*

Wow... Just wow... A true example of masochism.

Why? There's nothing really wrong with the game. It's linear like many other before it and many after it. It's true that i wanted to have a 3 person party in some fights but some strategy and even that was over. The combat is better than what Bioware and Bethesda have to offer.

To be honest. The beginning of XIII regarding story and so on was fine. The purge was interesting. Sure the gameplay consisted of pressing X (which got better after a while) but everything else went down the ****ter much later.

Honestly, newer Western RPGs are worse than what I'm playing right now. I've put 30 something hours into it and i'll gladly put so more and i will get the platinum trophy, because it's worth it.

Keep going, dont let others to turn you down :blink: FFXIII is the most controversial game of the series, many people hate it, many people love it :)

I have Platinum, and I can say, I never felt pain while playing it :p Except while trying to kill Shao Long Guy :D Pretty badass optional creature.

And no, I do not think the game is more than little above average, but I enjoyed most of the time i played it... Finished twice so far...

Of course i'll keep going. When i had other stuff to do i kept going from save point to save point thinking, this is the last one, and hours passed by. So it was worth my money and my time so far and I'm only chapter 8 or so. Finally got a party of 3 so that paradigm combinations are far more deadly. Even with enemies having higher HP, nothing can stop me. I do have to replay a fight or two, but i like the combat and it's no problem.

Just want to make it clear, I'm not trying to say you shouldn't play it, have fun with it etc... Just that I personally found the entire experience boring, and yeah it was an intensely uninspired experience for me.

I'm just not wired in a way that relentless smashing of my face against the same wall will eventually become fun if I rotate my head slightly, and have a pretty girl recite a story to me while I do it. That's just my perspective on it, for you well... I don't suppose it feels like that at all, so no need for any issues, I was just a little shocked when someone said "fun" and "FF XIII".

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I'm just not wired in a way that relentless smashing of my face against the same wall will eventually become fun if I rotate my head slightly, and have a pretty girl recite a story to me while I do it. That's just my perspective on it, for you well... I don't suppose it feels like that at all, so no need for any issues, I was just a little shocked when someone said "fun" and "FF XIII".

The same is always happening to me, whenever I hear fun and CoD:MW in a same sentence I feel like :blink:

Different people different taste :p

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The same is always happening to me, whenever I hear fun and CoD:MW in a same sentence I feel like :blink:

Different people different taste :p

Yeah totally dude, that said... CoD is just dirty, like a really bad summer blockbuster.

So I've been playing NWN OC (On chapter 3), Final Fantasy 1 on my PSP (almost done), Infamous on PS3, Oblivion on 360... Hmmm yeah!

So I've been playing NWN OC (On chapter 3)

If you make it past chapter 4, you can tell me in a few short words how it ends (I gave up on it a short ways into that) :thumbsup:

Edit:

Batman Arkham City. Looks very pretty in DX9 too. And the animations are as sexy as you'd expect.

Installed it and tried it for 5 minutes last night.

Between steamworks, GFWL DRM and limited activations I'm fairly happy not to have paid any money for this game (it came free with my EVGA card). It plays like a watered down Tombraider, even if the textures are a bit higher resolution ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So I've been playing NWN OC (On chapter 3)

If you make it past chapter 4, you can tell me in a few short words how it ends (I gave up on it a short ways into that) :thumbsup:

Edit:

Batman Arkham City. Looks very pretty in DX9 too. And the animations are as sexy as you'd expect.

Installed it and tried it for 5 minutes last night.

Between steamworks, GFWL DRM and limited activations I'm fairly happy not to have paid any money for this game (it came free with my EVGA card). It plays like a watered down Tombraider, even if the textures are a bit higher resolution ;)

WoW, that's really the opposite I've heard from anyone about the Batman games. Granted I prefer to play those types of games with a controller on a console.

WoW, that's really the opposite I've heard from anyone about the Batman games. Granted I prefer to play those types of games with a controller on a console.

Well, it's the only Batman game I've "played" (not enough time to form a real opinion, mind you), so I don't have any references. Mind you, Batman and TR (the originals) are completely different breeds, Batman and later TR games being "fighting" games and older TR games exploration and discovery. Sort of comparing Apples and Oranges.

The fist fighting was nice enough, but the constant flailing around of the camera, zooming in and out for "kill cam" effect annoys me in any game. I think my problem is, I really don't care about "interactive movie" effect developers/publishers are trying to push for. I'm sure many gamers appreciate it, I'm just not one of them :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, it's the only Batman game I've "played" (not enough time to form a real opinion, mind you), so I don't have any references. Mind you, Batman and TR (the originals) are completely different breeds, Batman and later TR games being "fighting" games and older TR games exploration and discovery. Sort of comparing Apples and Oranges.

The fist fighting was nice enough, but the constant flailing around of the camera, zooming in and out for "kill cam" effect annoys me in any game. I think my problem is, I really don't care about "interactive movie" effect developers/publishers are trying to push for. I'm sure many gamers appreciate it, I'm just not one of them :thumbsup:

I dunno, I'd expect to be all over an "interactive movie" game, but the first Batman bored me into tears. Still haven't finished it, probably should. :/

Edit: "first Batman" means Arkham Asylum here, not, say, the gameboy game I did beat a multitude of times in the early 90s. ;)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Honestly, the issue for me is that they throw in so many "special" melee combatants (guys in armor, guys with blades, guys with shields, guys with stun-batons...) that you don't really FEEL like batman anymore... instead you feel like you're batmans clumsy twin who can't even hit a guy in straight up combat.

For the record, knife wielders can knock out 4 of your life points if they get all the strikes in and have a special dodge/counter mechanic. Shield guys are un-counterable and unblockable and you have to do a special attack to make them vulnerable. Armor guys need you to beat the bejesus out of them for about 5 solid seconds before going down. And the stun-batons can't be attacked from the front.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Stunbatons were in the first one as well.. I've been playing this on my roommates 360 so I don't know about PC controls, but once you get the hang of moving around and dodging then the fights become very easy.. You have to take out the weaker opponents and then you have all the time in the world to take out the special ones.

Also playing Catwoman is really fun, so much that get kinda dissapointed when I have to go back to Batman :thumbsup:

Fortune favors the bald.

Played some SW:TOR Beta during the weekend. It was everything I expected and more, no regrets pre-ordering the CE.

Still playing World of Tanks until TOR gets released. Got my Tier 7 TD and soon Tier 7 Heavy. Premium time is running out so I better make the most of it. Oh, and I found a neat mod that disables the annoying attention sound from minimap pings, silence is golden.

Since my Win7 pc is in the process of troubleshooting/testing, I'm playing some Stronghold:Crusader on my XP machine. After hearing about how terrible SH3 apparently is (from reviews+users/players) I felt like playing the original game...even if your melee units can absurdly break down stone walls with relative ease, still one of the most fun RTS+sort-of-sim's evah. imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Try moving the mouse around. I seem to recall you needing to find the sweet spot for each of the rings before it would actually do anything.

And either left click or move the mouse upwards when you find said spot. IIRC.

Ah Stronghold: Crusader was a great game.

I haven't played anything since the weekend, but I look forward to making some serious headway in PST tonight. If not, then maybe some Skyrim.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

EVE Crucible is out today, so going to get my Rokh out and shoot stuff. The new BCs are not going to be cheap I think.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fallout3. I need to get my inspiration back in writing my post apocalypse story.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester