Deus Ex 3

CoM_Solaufein

What is a boss fight if not the end of a level in an arcade game ? It's very artificial. When I'm in a game where I have a boss fight at the end, I feel really in a game. It's like reading fantasy with again elves and dwarves fighting each other with the formers living in forests and the latters in caves.

It's trial and error until you find the formula. It can get a bit tedious. I like mobs better, assuming the game doesn't let you use the same bit of cover as a panacea for every situation which it is somewhat guilty of. If you don't turn your tactical advantage into a disadvantage after 4-5 second crouched behind the same crate the game is doing something wrong.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If artificiality makes for an arcade game, then all games are arcade games. If I get shot in the head, I touch this pack with the red cross on it and I'll be fine? When I switch weapons, where does the other one go? Where the hell do I keep all this ammo? Games are full of systems that if you put any real though into them you'll realise they are pretty ridiculous.

Boss fights need not occur at the end of a level, and not all arcade games feature boss fights. Comparing DX:HR to Double Dragon makes about as much sense as comparing Vampire: Bloodlines to Doom. Hell, the latter two games probably have more in common than the former two.

The "could be used in games like RPGs" part of your comment is even worse, considering boss fights of one sort or another are incredibly common in RPGs.

Barret was the only one that gave me trouble, boss fights were pretty dumb, but no surprise - Dugas.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What is a boss fight if not the end of a level in an arcade game ? It's very artificial. When I'm in a game where I have a boss fight at the end, I feel really in a game. It's like reading fantasy with again elves and dwarves fighting each other with the formers living in forests and the latters in caves.

Three words

"Shadow of the Colossus"

Only boss fights and still one of the best games ever.

Not to mention every JRPG has an epic final boss fight right after you are done beating all his henchmen throughout the game.

And WRPGs, surely they would be above that Japanese stuff and be free of bosses :cough: Sarevok :cough:

So yeah, boss fights are totally arcade and not RPG at all.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Just completed a playthrough that i could have sworn I took the utmost care to not kill anyone or set of any alarms.. and dang it, I still didn't get pacifist or foxiest of the hounds.

I'm going to have to figure out what secondary reasons will have killed someone I knocked out....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just completed a playthrough that i could have sworn I took the utmost care to not kill anyone or set of any alarms.. and dang it, I still didn't get pacifist or foxiest of the hounds.

I'm going to have to figure out what secondary reasons will have killed someone I knocked out....

Prologue counts against pacifist achievement.

Tranq. shot to head will on occasion kill as well.

Yeah, I ensured my prologue was all non-lethal and sneakyness. And I had to keep reloading the "save the pilot from death" because things like the mech exploding kept killing off guys I'd ko'd in one way or another.

So to get to the end and suddenly find that somewhere along the line... Ah well.

Yeah, I ensured my prologue was all non-lethal and sneakyness. And I had to keep reloading the "save the pilot from death" because things like the mech exploding kept killing off guys I'd ko'd in one way or another.

So to get to the end and suddenly find that somewhere along the line... Ah well.

IIRC the guide says that the prologue doesn't count, but there seems to be some confusion about that. That particular achivement doesn't seem to be working too well. Also, apparently to get the foxiest of hounds

you have to sneak into the police station instead of talking Haas into letting you in.

Pre-order DLCs are up for sale now. I heard a report of it on the 360 earlier. Showing up on Steam now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/28060/

IMO, those are well worth getting if you missed out on the first time.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I don't really think that the "pre-order DLCs" are worth the 4 euro. The explosive mission pack is really just a 5 minutes thing and the other is a cheat pack with a few overpowered weapons and 10k credits. As pre-order bonus, this was ok to me, but I would never pay extra for it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

IIRC the guide says that the prologue doesn't count, but there seems to be some confusion about that. That particular achivement doesn't seem to be working too well. Also, apparently to get the foxiest of hounds

you have to sneak into the police station instead of talking Haas into letting you in.

Nope, I did the latter and still got the achievement. Foxiest of Hounds is just not tripping alarms, stuff like failing hacks, shooting cameras, triggering cameras and enemies hitting the panel to trigger the alarm. That's it.

Also I think the prologue does count, I avoided killing people in it either way.

Nope, I did the latter and still got the achievement. Foxiest of Hounds is just not tripping alarms, stuff like failing hacks, shooting cameras, triggering cameras and enemies hitting the panel to trigger the alarm. That's it.

Also I think the prologue does count, I avoided killing people in it either way.

I'm pretty sure the guide is wrong on that count as well, then. I can't comment on that, since I had an alarm go off at TYM so definitely failed that 'chievo without any odd stuff, like I had with the pacifist.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the DLC is out, I found it to be really sweet, a lot of things seem improved over the main game, and it is, indeed, a missing link in more ways than the dxhr continuity itself. In fact, if even a quarter of the things they tease pan out, it's going to be awesome. (The DLC ends with: "We're just getting started".)

Oh, and there's a "don't do x,y,z" 'chievo again, and I didn't get it, again. :p

Well, the DLC certainly sounds awesome.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

General consensus seems to be that the DLC is great, but ~5 hours for $15... hrm. The full game only took me 20 hours, of course.

Wonder when DLCs get price cuts, usually.

General consensus seems to be that the DLC is great, but ~5 hours for $15... hrm. The full game only took me 20 hours, of course.

I'm fed up with the whole DLC thing with Publishers, so I'll just wait for the GOTY version.

Well they seem to have tweaked the engine for the DLC, which is why it loads up as a seperate game rather then a part of DEHR.

On a slow-paced, very exploratory playthrough, it took me about 8 hours to run through the Missing Link.. so at about

Took me 7,5 hours the first time. :thumbsup: