Deus Ex 3

CoM_Solaufein

I've kind of lost interest in finishing this game. I thought it started off really good, but the story kind of became blah as it went along. I also don't see any of my choices actually having any effect on the story or world. At least not so far, unless at the very end everything I did determines some kind of outcome.

To be fair, the original Deus Ex was like that. It gave the illusion of choice in the storyline without actually changing to any great degree. The helicopter pilot just takes the place of JC's brother for that "do what they say, which has them die, or ignore them and save their life" choice. The kill switch gets reversed from affecting the "bosses" to affecting Adam depending on a single decision you make.

Deus Ex has always been more about the atmosphere and the multile paths within the game levels rather then multiple paths in the story.

I don't know, I think it allows you to use your imagination. Sure, rescuing the hostages, or not killing the one guy in the first mission may not have a huge impact on the end of the game, but it does affect how you view yourself in the end. For example, it made a great difference to how I felt about the story when I was able to save my brother in the original and the helicopter pilot in the new one.

I did finish the game a few days ago, and thought the ending was pretty decent (apart from the enemies, which were retarded... it's almost an RPG convention to have stupid, boring enemies at the end level.) But you do get a few good conversations with the major players, then get to make a pretty big decision. Sadly, you don't get much of a denouement in the ending narrative, and it doesn't really make up for the tepid, unimaginative plot throughout.

I'll probably play once more to do a few things differently and use some combat stuff I didn't get to (*cough* typhoon *cough*), but certainly there's nothing in the story, characters or world that genuinely gets the heart racing.

I gave it another try today, but got frustrated with the boss fight against

Namir or whatever his name is

. I was dumb enough to

get that upgrade installed for my augmentations

so now the fight is just too frustrating.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Explosives or revolver with exploding ammo takes him down fast and easy. Gas grenades stun him for a while.

If you don't have any of those, just keep your distance, wait him at corners, shoot a bit and then run to another corner and repeat.

Also if you have the jump aug you can go over the walls, he does it anyways so its fair game. >_< Remote explosives are a lifesaver on this one and IIRC there should be plasma rifles and heavy rifles laying around if you need some firepower.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'll give it another go some other time. I think what frustrated me is the jump in difficulty between boss fights and the normal bad guys. I know all games make boss fights harder, no question. But this game seems to go from absolute breeze to challenge, with a significant gap in between.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I thought that was the easiest boss, you probably have the see through walls aug by now. there is plenty of cover and he only uses EMP grenades. Pop shots, then shift position, rinse, repeat.

He said he got the upgrade, so no augs.

I used the laser rifle (or plasma? Been a couple weeks) which is in a warehouse room very close to the boss. It made the fight easier.

Also the GL if you can get it makes things pretty easy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Deus Ex has always been more about the atmosphere and the multile paths within the game levels rather then multiple paths in the story.

I don't know, I think it allows you to use your imagination. Sure, rescuing the hostages, or not killing the one guy in the first mission may not have a huge impact on the end of the game, but it does affect how you view yourself in the end. For example, it made a great difference to how I felt about the story when I was able to save my brother in the original and the helicopter pilot in the new one.

Yeah...that's the way I thought when I referred to "the silent guy with the sunglasses" type and the atmosphere was done well, IMO. That said, I still think there is not much in the theme/story/character development...when they are able to come up with the choice about Radford, who gave quite a hard choice to the protagonist, I think they could do better with the main plot. Personally, I like the game-play of DXHR than that of the Witcher 2, but, as a whole work, TW2 felt more completed. Of course, TW2 doesn't have much deep theme to be dug, though.

The issue with Deus Ex is that here doesn't seem to be a sense of... DOING anything or urgency. There doesn't seem to be an overarching story, so much as an overarching theme about the augmented v non-augmented. And the "conspiracy" as I've mentioned before, doesn't really live up to Deus Ex level conspiracies. It's just kinda "Oh hai.... I'm your conspiracy for the evening, would you like a bit of bree?"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The issue with Deus Ex is that here doesn't seem to be a sense of... DOING anything or urgency. There doesn't seem to be an overarching story, so much as an overarching theme about the augmented v non-augmented. And the "conspiracy" as I've mentioned before, doesn't really live up to Deus Ex level conspiracies. It's just kinda "Oh hai.... I'm your conspiracy for the evening, would you like a bit of bree?"

Meh, it's setting up the DX1 conspiracy and IMO does it in an interesting way. I guess it's back to the DA2 argument. "Dis not epic enuff!"

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Meh, it's setting up the DX1 conspiracy and IMO does it in an interesting way. I guess it's back to the DA2 argument. "Dis not epic enuff!"

Agreed, although I would have liked to see more of a tie in than showing Bob Page in a few scenes or a series of scattered emails. Though it ends up becoming it's own story, with the rescue and Darrow at the end.

They beautifully built a situation with lot of tension and managed it to show in game through news report, level design and sidequests. I just wish that they would had the same care(timeframe) with the conspiracy aspect of the game.

Although I did get a sense of slight "epicness" leading up to the end, it just felt disconnected and lacking a build up to the climax. Again I blame this on the production time, even though they have benefited immensely from their release date.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There are some things that have been left intentionally vague for the moment regarding the conspiracy.

like Adam's exact origin, and I assume how it ties to the Denton's

, which is obviously being saved for something. Now the interesting part is if it's going to be an expansion or a sequel...

Hey, don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed playing through DEHR, and I'm planning on playing it a few more times just to see what shakes loose with repeats.

The atmosphere is groovy, the gameplay pretty much works excellently. But there are those little flaws that keep it from being an "epic game" and just in the "damn good game" territory. ;)

It follows deeply in the footsteps of DE in keeping you fairly strictly along that point a to point b, but gives you a lot of options in how to travel there. It just doesn't let you get to point c instead of point b. DE gave you the illusion of choice in the story, while you didn't really have any. DEHR follows the same route, but doesn't quite give the same amount of illusion. Maybe that's because it's the change in games over the last decade or our perception of them, maybe it's because elements of the conspiracy in DEHR don't feel as deep.

I do kind of feel the stunning "three consoles with a button" was a little bit.. Eh. Although a certain sense of amusement over it exists.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It follows deeply in the footsteps of DE in keeping you fairly strictly along that point a to point b, but gives you a lot of options in how to travel there. It just doesn't let you get to point c instead of point b. DE gave you the illusion of choice in the story, while you didn't really have any. DEHR follows the same route, but doesn't quite give the same amount of illusion.

I call this the sandcastle vs. sandbox phenomenon. I prefer sandcastles. ;)

So the Star Wars ads were added in a recent patch or something ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well there is - sort of, you have to find the doctors cause one of them is your ex-girlfriend/someone you care about, then it's urgent to save the augmented people from zombification. The transhumanist stuff was done as well as I was expecting it to be. The conspiracy wasn't that bad, Hyron Project just kind of pops up though, did Darrow know Zhao was down there and planning to hijack everyone though ?

But it still didn't build. The entire thing (to me) felt a bit disjointed up until the very end (probably because of the fact you keep going back to Detroit). A good story would flow pretty well and not seemingly have everything be in it's own little box.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If it isn't hooked into the main story it will have to be long enough and fulfilling enough to stand on its own. That's reassuring to me actually.

You put too much faith in them.