Deus Ex 3

Rosbjerg

I suspect $ 5000 is the minimum sum they need to specify for it not to go to small claims court or equivalent. The actual sum will, of course, be bigger.

I also suspect that you don't need an advanced law degree to figure that out, even if it doesn't look like it from what you guys've posted. :lol:

It never occurred to me that they picked that specific sum so it wouldn't go to small claims court.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

30 minutes of gameplay footage:

Heavily narrated by Dugas and some IGN guy. Interesting watch.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Either they've spent all these years polishing a turd to a blinding shine, or this game is actually going to be awesome. :shifty:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

30 minutes of gameplay footage:

Heavily narrated by Dugas and some IGN guy. Interesting watch.

Wasn't that stuff shown already? Or at least something similar, because the second part looks very familiar to me.

Can't believe it's still 1 1/2 months till release. Meh.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Wasn't that stuff shown already? Or at least something similar, because the second part looks very familiar to me.

Can't believe it's still 1 1/2 months till release. Meh.

Yup, the latter half of that around the upper medical section was shown in something earlier.

Still looks good. :-

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, to get into the mood for DE3 I'm currently playing Snatcher for the SEGA CD. It's an excellent cyberpunk game by Hideo Kojima which borrows very heavily from the Bladerunner movie. Funny that the theme with artificial humans is so common in the cyberpunk genre!

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Funny that the theme with artificial humans is so common in the cyberpunk genre!
Isn't that sort of the genre's whole point? The (negative) effects of scientific advancement?

I like the TV Tropes page quote.

"Transhumanism is about how technology will eventually help us overcome the problems that have, up until now, been endemic to human nature. Cyberpunk is about how technology won't."

? Stephenls of RPG.Net, on the relation between transhumanism and cyberpunk

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CyberPunk

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Funny that the theme with artificial humans is so common in the cyberpunk genre!
Isn't that sort of the genre's whole point? The (negative) effects of scientific advancement?

I am going to disagree with you here. (And apparently with TV Tropes)

Cyberpunk features dystopian futures and technological advancement, but that advancement is not the cause of the problems. Cyberpunk typically shows technology as a means of liberation.

Things like megacorperations, poverty, overpopulation, and oppressive governments are usually the cause of the negativity.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Using said technology to oppress the people. I've often thought that technology was used much like magic is in old folk tales, that in it self it isn't good or bad, but the rather the application of it is evil or divine etc. Which ties well into your point about salvation.

Fortune favors the bald.

I am going to disagree with you here. (And apparently with TV Tropes)

Cyberpunk features dystopian futures and technological advancement, but that advancement is not the cause of the problems. Cyberpunk typically shows technology as a means of liberation.

Things like megacorperations, poverty, overpopulation, and oppressive governments are usually the cause of the negativity.

Corporations like Walmart and Halliburton evil? Why I never... >_<

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I guess you could say so, it's just that I feel there are other aspects of cyberpunk I think you can explore. In any case, it's interesting why a cyberpunk universe tend to center around that particular narrative. Is it just the Bladerunner influence, or is it inherent in the setting?

I think DE3 explores this central theme excellently, anyway. From what it seems it's more Bladerunner- inspired (or would you say traditional cyberpunk-inspired? Fundamentalist traditional cyberpunk?) than the original game.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I guess you could say so, it's just that I feel there are other aspects of cyberpunk I think you can explore. In any case, it's interesting why a cyberpunk universe tend to center around that particular narrative. Is it just the Bladerunner influence, or is it inherent in the setting?

I think DE3 explores this central theme excellently, anyway. From what it seems it's more Bladerunner- inspired (or would you say traditional cyberpunk-inspired? Fundamentalist traditional cyberpunk?) than the original game.

Conflict is always central to the story, a dystopian backdrop makes for an interesting setting. Just look at human interest stories, often they are focused around a tragedy or a struggle and they potentially humanize a historical event.

memo to myself:

Do fictional human interest story set against a dystopian future setting

Put it up on the web

???????????????????

Profit.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Read Gibson, take stuff from all his novels, profit. !

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

New DX trailer

This is like one of the best trailers I've ever seen?

Nice to see somebody makes games that isn't about saving princesses from dragons or some teens with identity issues turning into super heroes.

Gotta applaud Eidos Montreal.

:p

Square have just gone mad with the marketing of this game, they must feel like they're on a money maker.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Eurogamer link is not working at the moment for me. If this is the 'Purity First' trailer, err I guess it's an ok trailer. Thought I got duped into watching some dystopian wannabe indie flick at first, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra