FO: NV (DLCS) Discussion

So what's a good interface mod? Also, what do ya'll recommend for visual mods?

Visuals I use these three: url=http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37908

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35794

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35497

With a helping of other retextures which can be heavy on memory and are really just a matter of taste.

Interface, 99% of those who want a PC friendly UI for New Vegas start from DarnUI although it should be noted that the author mysteriously disappeared and the mod isn't supported anymore. Still, mostly bug-free, and all the major mods are compatible (or have compatible patches) for it.

Also, there's a pretty decent thread on mods on Something Awful, the OP contains most of the interesting/notable mods and gives you a good idea about how to install stuff, conflicts etc.

I suck at these things. I can't get the interfacemod to work at all, the detailed normals only seem to apply to some rocks, the weapon retextures don't seem to apply at all, and the skymod works sometimes and sometimes just resets to the default.

What am I doing wrong? I followed the installation instruction.... repeatedly after them not working the first time. But nothing happens.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

In this case the installation should be just drag and drop. Only for Western Sky and Better Burned Man you have to enable the .esp file. :verymad:

Edited by Bendu

In this case the installation should be just drag and drop. Only for Western Sky and Better Burned Man you have to enable the .esp file. :verymad:

I did that. I have no idea why nothing works.

A month ago I tried to install the detailed normals and MTUI... detailed normals didn't work, and MTUI worked briefly until I reloaded. After that, no mod has worked but the imaginator-something (whose features I didn't enable, since they weren't that appealing).

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Uhm, have you done the Archive Invalidation? Are you using FOMM for that matter?

FOMM didn't do any good a month ago, so I don't have it now (got frustrated back then and got rid of all things related to mods). Was practically the same with ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated.

Detailed Normals should affect rocks and roads and some land textures, if you installed all of it's components/files anyway. I experimented with that, thinking I'd keep some and not other parts, but ended up getting rid if of it because I preferred the general land texture improvements from the Nevada Skies URWLified instead anyway.

As to why they're not working....outside of what's already mentioned, and all the textures/meshes are in the right folders...hm. I don't use FOMM either, btw, it's use is often unnecessary, really, unless you have certain mods or running a ton of mods (I use a manual archive validation vs. thru FOMM). Do any of the mods require NVSE...if so, do you have that? Since it's Steam, if it's been a while since you installed the game, you could try validating the cache (checking the fragmentation of cache too) and/or reinstall the game.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Detailed Normals should affect rocks and roads and some land textures, if you installed all of it's components/files anyway. I experimented with that, thinking I'd keep some and not other parts, but ended up getting rid if of it because I preferred the general land texture improvements from the Nevada Skies URWLified instead anyway.

As to why they're not working....outside of what's already mentioned, and all the textures/meshes are in the right folders...hm. I don't use FOMM either, btw, it's use is often unnecessary, really, unless you have certain mods or running a ton of mods (I use a manual archive validation vs. thru FOMM). Do any of the mods require NVSE...if so, do you have that? Since it's Steam, if it's been a while since you installed the game, you could try validating the cache (checking the fragmentation of cache too) and/or reinstall the game.

Detailed normals made few rocks appear higher res, but that's about it.

I don't use any gameplayaltering mods, just trying to toy around with these few graphical changes to make the game feel a bit fresher. So nothing should need the NVSE. I'll try to reinstall the game tomorrow and see if I can get them working. If not, I give up with mods -- it's not so much that the game needs them, but it would've been nice to have some added visual flavor for the next runthrough (still have the NCR and Yes Man to go).

Thanks for the tips, though.

Edited by Undecaf

Unless you're running with 3/4 mods FOMM is the only thing that will manage to avoid conflicts and make mods work properly. It really is a necessary tool and there's no reason to not use it.

I have about 15-20 mods and I have no issues, but I'm not using any big content-changer mods.

One thing I disliked about FOMM is every single time I opened it, if I had to restructure the order, it changed the 'last altered' date of the file (in Explorer....), making it so I could no longer tell when I had actually changed a mod file because every single .esp had the same date. That was unacceptable to me, I'm picky.

Besides, I figured out that what order the game loads them in can also be dictated by what order you save them in the GECK. Essentially whatever you last save in the GECK, becomes the mod that is last loaded (.esp's at least).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For some reason I can't see that, but I'm assuming it's probably the same one I've already seen, which looked like great fun.

Side note: there's this one image in the vid I saw that instantly made me think of KOTOR2/the Ebon Hawk. :lol: (it's not exactly the same, just reminds me of, heh)

OWB-kotor2-1a.jpg

I felt pretty done with FNV so skipped Honest Hearts, but that trailer does a good job at making it look all fun again. :lol: Might get this.

Okay, who is behind Old World Blues? Because I might have to get stalkerish.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

As the OWB release date is pretty badly placed for me, I probably will need around a week again to finish it, just like with Honest Hearts. Though, I am still much more tensed to see how Lonesome Road will turn out, because I personally can't think of any way to make a long, lonesome road to look fun and with around 7 to 8 hours of gameplay.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That OWB trailer looks like the best of the DLC so far though not enough to make me buy it.

I'll just keep waiting for some edition that has all the dlc and patches bundled out for 1/2 of the price.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.