Your point stands though, the price tag is often used as a blanket measure. I'm guessing that the 2D game they seem to have going right now is an effort at diversifying.

Yup, certainly looking forward to hearing more about that.

As for more on-topic things, I'd imagine that reading the forum and the reviews isn't too much fun, but internet people and games journalism are what they are. Good job getting the game out the door in the first place :thumbsup:

As for the hardcore player's reaction here, again, it's understood and I appreciate both the positive and negative comments. I'm also reading other forums where the comments skew more positive, and that's encouraging. I think the only thing that's a little disappointing is seeing people here who don't like the demo personally insulting the team (many of whom spent countless 12+ hour days working on the game), but what can you expect, it's the internet :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in knowing what have you been checking, just for the sake of comparison. Most impressions I've read so far weren't terribly positive (mostly because the niche that plays Hack'n'slash games sees multiplayer as a core pillar of the experience, but there were also complaints about stiff combat, exploration, lack of character development options compared to its peers, graphics and dialogue/voice acting.. basically everything, although multiplayer was the most prevalent). Now, of course you can't make everyone happy, but aren't you afraid of pigeon-holing yourself by focusing too much on the positive feedback (which, I can understand, as a developer is most gratifying than reading personal insults and accusation of being a lazy fat money-grubber)?

Yeah, there is loot that changes the visual appearance of your character. We probably could have done a better job distributing those armor pieces, but it's definitely there and it's not a small amount.

Thank you for this information >_< I can hardly wait for the demo (on PC).

As for the hardcore player's reaction here, again, it's understood and I appreciate both the positive and negative comments. I'm also reading other forums where the comments skew more positive, and that's encouraging. I think the only thing that's a little disappointing is seeing people here who don't like the demo personally insulting the team (many of whom spent countless 12+ hour days working on the game), but what can you expect, it's the internet :teehee:

I'd be interested in knowing what have you been checking, just for the sake of comparison. Most impressions I've read so far weren't terribly positive (mostly because the niche that plays Hack'n'slash games sees multiplayer as a core pillar of the experience, but there were also complaints about stiff combat, exploration, lack of character development options compared to its peers, graphics and dialogue/voice acting.. basically everything, although multiplayer was the most prevalent). Now, of course you can't make everyone happy, but aren't you afraid of pigeon-holing yourself by focusing too much on the positive feedback (which, I can understand, as a developer is most gratifying than reading personal insults and accusation of being a lazy fat money-grubber)?

Its really varied. I read more positivity on the whole (though I didn't count so could be wrong on that) and what mostly stood out was that for every positive opinion on something there was a negative one too for the same thing. Granted the dialog sequences didn't really get praised aside from the writing (Has to measure up to more cinematic experiences like in Witcher 2 or Mass Effect 2. Expected) and the MP reception was mostly negative but otherwise?

Well, on the other hand you could call it the typical reception for a Obsidian game. >_<

Edited by C2B

GamePro video review (85%)

At around 3:39 there's an example of a less corridor-y map.

Excellent.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

codecs?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

DEMO REVIEW:

Last words:

In the end I think the demo has really killed the excitement I had about the Dungeon Siege series coming over to home consoles. I guess that's what demos are good for though, right? Making sure that people know exactly what they're getting themselves into before plopping down $60 on a game. Maybe the PC version will be more of what I was hoping for. Good thing I own my computer now.

http://www.goozernation.com/video-games/in...iew-and-trailer

As for the hardcore player's reaction here, again, it's understood and I appreciate both the positive and negative comments. I'm also reading other forums where the comments skew more positive, and that's encouraging. I think the only thing that's a little disappointing is seeing people here who don't like the demo personally insulting the team (many of whom spent countless 12+ hour days working on the game), but what can you expect, it's the internet :p

If you ask 10 people about a game, they'll say 10 different things, so I've mostly been focusing on common points of feedback, and on reviews, since those are the people who have been able to play the entire game. There are some portion of people for whom this is not what they want, and that's not really a huge surprise.

I believe this board tends to be a place where DS series and Obsidian fans "communicate" at the moment. Of course, both biased in their own ways and there is plenty of oil to cause fire considering the surroundings. I may be wrong but I just tried to profile those who would be first to try out the demo, which is not so hugely advertised, ending up with an idea that they would be older DS series fans and/or Obsidian ones. So, some comments are understandable especially I remember some of FO fans reacted in a similar way. I, myself, am probably counted as an FO fan but I can be interested in story/world and also have some common sense on how a company works. However, if you like something about older DS, then, it would be nothing but game-play, wouldn't it? I think this explains some reviews have hatred in it.

As for my needs for game, I wonder. For my hands are still full and I'm not a great fan of the loot scheme or action RPG. So, it hugely depends on how Obsidian made NPCs, world, characters interesting. One thing bugging me is that DSIII doesn't seem to have all the main writing power in their hand as Ziet himself complained: What had Avellone been doing, for example? The complaints around dialogue may be partly related with the lack of facial expressions, though.

Guess Obsidian's best bet would be in whether they will be able to cultivate new players rather than expecting the returning of jaded older fans from both "factions"

Indeed, reading comments here since the project started, it would be one of the games Obsidian developed which had a clear scope. However, I think demand on graphic is unfair but it is inevitable if you make games with that price tag. In reality, designers better learn to how to make the graphics OK with the modern standard or aim at lower budget games. I glanced at some E3 covers and, yes, the demands for better graphics still keep getting higher and higher. Multi-platforming and online gaming can widen the ways of distributions, though.

What had Avellone been doing, for example?

It was probably Fallout New Vegas and after that he went to their new project ("Defiance" or something).

Sorry for my english, it's not so good.

It was probably Fallout New Vegas and after that he went to their new project ("Defiance" or something).

Defiance was an idea that wasn't accepted by Squre-Enix - hence Dungeon Siege 3.

Once this and New Vegas DLCs ship we only know of some kind of 2D game as far as Obsidian projects go.

Defiance was an idea that wasn't accepted by Squre-Enix - hence Dungeon Siege 3.

Once this and New Vegas DLCs ship we only know of some kind of 2D game as far as Obsidian projects go.

We know of at least 3 projects.

Sawyer has a new IP cooking

Virgina (If it wasn't cancelled)

And a game with a big IP behind like Feargus hyped.

Also Avellone was till now project Lead on most of the DLCs. And Ziets didn't really complain as much as highlight that the writing team was naturally smaller for DSIII than New Vegas considering the different focus.

Edited by C2B

I've only played the demo but for me the main points I am looking for now that I know what to expect:

1. Hopefully less-corridory maps (this seems to be confirmed).

2. Loot. I'm not even going to try and judge this on the demo ...

3. Dungeons. I'm hoping for some big dungeons with lots of interactivity.

4. Story. Hopefully some cool twists and C&C that help replay value.

5. Can't really test out the character system unless I can max a character.

Unfortunately I think I am going to have to wait for the price to go down. If you guys at Obsidian care why, here's why: For full price the game needs to be fully featured.

I compare 3rd Person Action RPG's to Sacred 2. In that title there is:

--Single player, story + free modes with 5 difficulty levels that support New Game+ up to the final difficulty level. That's Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Niob difficulty levels for Single Player Story Mode and Free Mode.

--There is also Multiplayer with Story + Free Mode and 5 difficulty levels.

--There is also Multiplayer PvP which is basically just Multiplayer Free Mode with PvP also 5 difficulty levels.

***Through all of these different gameplay modes you can take your character, level up, collect loot, and improve your character.

***These are pre-set characters with their own backstory. Each character has a unique class quest that spans the entirety of a single player adventure. Each character begins the campaign from their own perspective of the story.

--There is a Light and a Dark campaign.

--Four of the six characters can choose to complete either the Light or Dark campaign.

--Two of the characters have their alignments tied to their respective story.

--There are over 600 quests, some are really basic and some are very involved.

--A massive overland seamless map sits on top of hundreds upon hundreds of dungeons that run beneth the world. The world is hand crafted and more massive than most gamers will ever fully explore (even those that love the game).

*****4 Player Co-op ***2 Players playing couch co-op can go online together from the same Xbox***

*****Characters -that are not playing on the same Xbox- are not tethered to each other in any way. You can be on the other side of the gameworld from your companions if you want.

****!!**Every character has a unique mount! Your combat talents and normal attacks work while riding your unique mount. The game also features Horses for travel before you have quested for your mount.**!!****

---

TLDR version:

A full price game needs to stack up to the best in the genre for Xbox 360 for my money. I hope you guys sell a bunch of full priced copies so you make that money. I'll be waiting for that $20 - 30 price window.

Edited by MonkeyLungs

We know of at least 3 projects.

Sawyer has a new IP cooking

Virgina (If it wasn't cancelled)

And a game with a big IP behind like Feargus hyped.

I thought Virginia and Josh's project was one and the same thing?

And if the release date is indeed early 2012, I expect an announcement next week at E3.

That already was in the works when he still worked on New Vegas. It has a different project director anyway.

Edited by C2B