What are you playing now?

If you liked Farcry, then yes, we have. It's the worst shooter I've ever played.

i thought farcry was definitely better than crysis 1. it's been quite a while since i played either of them though so my memory might be tricking me.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I just finished Nehrim. It took me 86 hours in total to do most of the sidequests and the main quest. The main quest was much more interesting and fulfilling compared to Oblivion. Also, i like how the main antagonist was far from a perfect pius that they usually are. He was instead you know, almost human.

On the downside was that too many locations were connected to the main quest, which in turn caused too many "This door is locked. You need a key"-moments when you wandered off to the wilderness. Another thing would be that some quests were to heavily scripted to fit a game that tries have a sandbox-approach. Also, too many crashes. But all in all, it had the content and quality of a full game. Not bad for a free total conversion.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not bad for a free total conversion.

I think it's better than most games that cost 50 odd USD.

FInally my money spent on Oblivion sort of paid off.

The cool thing is they are still updating it on a fairly regular basis. I look forward to playing through it again shortly with about four new updates since the last time.

i thought farcry was definitely better than crysis 1. it's been quite a while since i played either of them though so my memory might be tricking me.

Yeah, FC 1 definitely had some problems, but um worst fps ever....

no.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey! I really enjoyed farcry 1. Now Farcry 2... I've done algebra that was more stimulating.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hey! I really enjoyed farcry 1. Now Farcry 2... I've done algebra that was more stimulating.

I actually thought Farcry 2 was pretty decent, though like FC1, some problems that got in the way.

2 completely different games though. IIRC, the Farcry name was just tacked onto a gane that ahd all ready been in development for a while.

Farcry2 had some seriously great environment work.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Soulstorm - for quite a while now.

Nothing else.

What do you think of it ? The SoB army was a novelty, the flying units were...less than impressive to me. Generally I agree with Cyrus' dig at it :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Driving in Far Cry 2 triggered motion sickness in me. :)

Does that happen often in games for you, tep?

Driving in Far Cry 2 triggered motion sickness in me. :)

Does that happen often in games for you, tep?

Nope. Although my brother - who suffers from motion sickness in real life - does have the problem with other games triggering his motion sickeness problem.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Damn..I don't see how anyone can really enjoy a game like NWN2. Probably the most tedious games, with zero payoff, that I've ever played. So what's the difference between NWN2 vanilla and MOTB? The story? It must be an amazing story because if the gameplay and mechanics are exactly like NWN2, then I don't get the hype. This game sucks.

Damn..I don't see how anyone can really enjoy a game like NWN2. Probably the most tedious games, with zero payoff, that I've ever played. So what's the difference between NWN2 vanilla and MOTB? The story? It must be an amazing story because if the gameplay and mechanics are exactly like NWN2, then I don't get the hype. This game sucks.

MotB tidies up the engine and gives it a big polish. The story is great, the setting is cool, it feels epic without being cheesy, it has a love-it-or-hate-it surprise mechanic outside of the normal D&D rules. Folks like me who prefer sand-boxy old-skool games love it and the role-players who loved Torment and stuff also dig it big time. FFS it has a giant technicolor dead bear monster-thing as a joinable NPC. Gotta love that. It also has one of the best pieces of written conversational dialogue I've ever seen in a CRPG ever.

Myrkul

:: shrugs :: They were clearly doing something right. If you've already got NWN2 installed it ain't like you've got much to lose.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah, I have the Platinum edition which has MOTB already installed. Should I just quit NWN2 and jump straight into MOTB then?

I'd say so dude, the OC is OK but not worth struggling through if you ain't enjoying it. My advice is also to install a trainer module and maybe make up a level 20 character to start with. If you boot up the XP vanilla it takes you to 18 which is lower than if you'd completed the OC.

Hope you like it.

sonsofgygax.JPG

How far are you in it? It get's a bit better once you are in Neverwinter. There is still some herpa derp though, but it does get better. Chapter II (for me) is when it starts to take off and the fun stuff begins.

i tried going through nwn oc twice, got bored both times and never finished it. MOTB is still on my to-play list, i'm just waiting for the D&D rpg mood to strike me

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

How far are you in it? It get's a bit better once you are in Neverwinter. There is still some herpa derp though, but it does get better. Chapter II (for me) is when it starts to take off and the fun stuff begins.

Depending on where he is I might suggest at least playing through the trial. Favourite part of the game by far.

I keep meaning to do another NWN2 run, but I always get distracted.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Just for comparison, I'm on level 14 of 19

goddamn pinger boss fight!

and the game clock is telling me that I've been playing for just over 6 hours. I haven't exactly stopped to explore any of the levels. I only have 3 souvenirs, 1 dog tag, 1 vehicle key and 1 e-mail conversation.

I just finished the campaign so I figure I should update this. I managed to pick up 1 more souvenir, 1 more dog tag and 3 more e-mail conversations by the end of the game. The in game time clock tells me that I only spent just over 8 hours during my first run, but that seems a little low. I expect it isn't counting the time from all my failed runs, because I'm pretty sure I've played for more than 8 hours over the last few days. Either way, it's longer than most shooters these days but it doesn't go on so long that you start to wish it would end.

I loved the original Far Cry. I had never played anything like it when it came. I mean, 2 kilometers of viewing distance, awesome graphics and open-ended missions in a first person shooter?! With realistic physics?! AND DRIVEABLE VEHICLES?!? Seriously, it was awesome when it came out. I tried replaying it recently and it has not aged that well.

Far Cry 2 was very good when it was good, but it had some parts that were so bad it made the entire game almost unplayable (respawning checkpoints, stupid missions that had you drive all over the map for no apparent reason).

Crysis was a tech demo. It basically took Far Cry, updated it with technology from 2020 and lost a bit of soul. Still pretty good and a great showcase for the (then) new DirectX 10.

Crysis 2. Now, I have not played it.. but I read that it is now DirectX 9 with smaller levels and no graphics options, mouse smoothing, auto-aim on PC etc. Not interested. A huge step back, in my opinion. When are the new consoles coming out? This is getting ridiculous..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Soulstorm - for quite a while now.

Nothing else.

What do you think of it ? The SoB army was a novelty, the flying units were...less than impressive to me. Generally I agree with Cyrus' dig at it -_-

I loved DoW and WA and DC. Soulstorm was kinda disappointing for several reasons, none of which are solely its fault: the campaign was bland (because it was exactly the same as DC), the pathing wasn't fixed, the AI wasn't improved, the game is still completely unbalanced etc. I think Dark Eldar are butt ugly, but that goes for the tabletop as well. I liked the SoB, I even considered collecting them until it turned out that they're all metal models and cost a small fortune.

I play SS only because its the last "most updated" version of the game. I run it with the improved skirmish AI mod which I play against on insane (and its tough!). The flying units are badly implemented, and unnecessary.

I'm not really a strategy game player so for an RTS to grab me on and off for years is quite an achievement - in fact the DoW 1 series is the only one to do so, ever, since I usually stop playing RTS's when the single player campaign finishes. Its probably the most enjoyable strategy game ever, even with its flaws.

I burned through the entire DoW2 line in one sitting and I never looked back. I don't like it.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Soulstorm as an initial product was pretty pathetic. Unfinished models were rampant, the campaign was horrific, and the two new races didn't really add anything but more balance issues. The campaign could have been better if the stronghold maps weren't devoid of personality. At least in DC they had uniqueness that wasn't just "if you don't kill X then Y will appear and blow you up!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

When are the new consoles coming out? This is getting ridiculous..

Not anytime soon... Well unless you count the NGP and the 3DS.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Crysis 2. Now, I have not played it.. but I read that it is now DirectX 9 with smaller levels and no graphics options, mouse smoothing, auto-aim on PC etc. Not interested. A huge step back, in my opinion. When are the new consoles coming out? This is getting ridiculous..

Auto aim has been disabled with the first patch, and Crysis 2 still looks better than all other games supposedly using DX11.