So they remade Conan the Barbarian

Monte Carlo

So hot on the heels of my Bladerunner thread is the chance for some uber-geekrage about the remake of Conan the Barbarian. Now, okie dokie, CtB ain't Bladerunner. It's a campy swords and sorcery cult classic much beloved of fantasy fans of a certain age (coming home from the pub on a Friday night with eight pints on board and finding this on a late night movie channel is one of life's small pleasures).

Check out the trailer

I've not been following the film, haven't a clue who the male lead is, and this 'teaser' shows the best part of bugger all... what do you guys think.

Let the GeekRage begin!

sonsofgygax.JPG

Ron Perlman is great. Don't knock Ron Perlman.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hey if Ron's in it, it'll be quality.

I actually went through a phase of watching anything with Ron in it, I wasn't disappointed.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Guest Slinky

"I live. I love. I slay." Doesn't exactly have the same ring as:

- Conan, what is best in life?

- To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

And somehow I also feel the movie won't be having any screw-a-witch-and-then-throw-her-in-the-fireplace -moments.

Or he'll knock you.

I hope Basil is doing the soundtrack again, Conan was some of his best work.

He's dead.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

- To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

And somehow I also feel the movie won't be having any screw-a-witch-and-then-throw-her-in-the-fireplace -moments.

And let's be honest, it's those moments which make it a classic.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's the guy from Stargate Atlantis, FYI.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Guest The Architect
Or he'll knock you.

He's dead.

****. I had no idea. Nearly four and a half years he's been gone, too. Goes to show how much attention I pay to movies these days, despite the fact they've made some real rippers from what I've heard. Yet to see most of them, though.

Edited by The Architect

Or he'll knock you.

He's dead.

****. I had no idea. Nearly four and a half years he's been gone, too. Goes to show how much attention I pay to movies these days, despite the fact they've made some real rippers from what I've heard. Yet to see most of them, though.

Haven't seen the inside of a cinema for 5+ years. Did I miss anything? :)

Apocalypto is probably the only DVD I've bought that I would have liked watching on the big screen.

*Trying desperately to remember a remake that surpassed the original... fails miserably*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

From one of the youtube comments:

"I care not. I live, I love, I slay, and I am content" is a abbreviated quote from Queen of the Black Coast (1936), one of the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard.

Interesting. I watched Barbarian and Destroyer a lot when I was a kid.

I could never take Barbarian seriously though. Thulsa sounds like the Korean word for diarrhea, so I had Diarrhea Doom in my head throughout the entire movie.

Hope they find someone with the physical presence of Arnold for the new one.

Well, what do you know. Apparently Momoa is also playing Khal Drogo in the Game of Thrones series.

Lord of the Rings (2001) is better than Lord of the Rings (1979)

Which Batman was better? Bale, Keaton, or West?

Because neither Clooney nor Kilmer started a Batman series. They both simply continued the Keaton one.

Edited by Tale

This almost tempts me to dig out the old Conan Rpg stuff..

Although the Complete Works of Conan has a nice pride of place in on my shelves. They are ripping yarns.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."