Dragon Age 2

Gorth

So yes.. is there going to be any actual discussion of the.. you know.. game.. As opposed to general rants about Bioware and the demise of the rpg as we know it? :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

there's another topic for that kind of thing :shifty: this one is spoiler-free so we have nothing else left to do then criticize Bio's work

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

How about play the game? or better yet go play a game you like and discuss that one.

what's the point of discussing games I like? I don't need other people to tell me anything about them o:) which is probably the reason you get so defensive when people criticize games you like :lol: anyway, nothing wrong with it. I don't want to play it because it's obviously not a game I would enjoy. but I'd like to hear more from people who've played it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Or maybe they realize that (like it or not) Bioware sets industry standards for "RPGs". It pays to find out beforehand what calamity they'll unleash upon the gaming world.

This.

If you are interested in CRPGs then you have to be interested in what Bioware is up to. I don't like Apple products much, but I read the reviews of the iphone 4 and ipad because I'm interested in tech.

I shouldn't have to explain this.

Do Bio-friendly or neutral folks here think that the fact that other developers generally eschew romance options is because:

(a) they realise that they suck

or

(b) there's no point competing with Bio? Is it like taking on WoW as a MMORPG developer?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Or maybe they realize that (like it or not) Bioware sets industry standards for "RPGs". It pays to find out beforehand what calamity they'll unleash upon the gaming world.

This.

If you are interested in CRPGs then you have to be interested in what Bioware is up to. I don't like Apple products much, but I read the reviews of the iphone 4 and ipad because I'm interested in tech.

I shouldn't have to explain this.

Do Bio-friendly or neutral folks here think that the fact that other developers generally eschew romance options is because:

(a) they realise that they suck

or

(b) there's no point competing with Bio? Is it like taking on WoW as a MMORPG developer?

© Budget, development timeframe, and experience.

Nobody really makes games like Bioware, atleast not the same level of quality, they've always been formulaic... More and more so since KOTOR, Obsidian is the only other company that's making anything remotely like what Bioware is doing.

I suppose we had "rise of the argonauts", but that's a one off opposed to the norm.

When I was out in Canada at EA, I noticed this little A4 sheet of paper which one of the rendering guys had pinned up. I liked it, because it made things very clear.

Here it is: Three_kinds_of_service3.gif

This is games development.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

"If you are interested in CRPGs then you have to be interested in what Bioware is up to. I don't like Apple products much, but I read the reviews of the iphone 4 and ipad because I'm interested in tech."

That's silly. Betehsda is a big RPG company as well, and I don't give a crap what theya re up to (outside of FO because I was a FO fan). I certainly don't spam Bethesda forums or Bethesda based threads here. It's a waste of my time. Games are supposed to be fun, and I'd rather spend my time disucssing things I like 9even if theya ren't eprfect).

It's why i posted a few times on the AP baords and them moved on. Yet, I was called a tyroll there for vocing my opinion that it sucked.

People like Boo have been ragging on BIO for no reason but to get reactions from tohers and to bash it just for gigles. certainly they don't have any atual goals other than to bash the games. That's kewl; but be honest about it. Or move on. L0L

Maybe I should post non stop in the Skyrim threads bashing it and saying it's gonna suck and then after its released just keep bashing it to see the people who like it crying? Not so fun then, huh?

R00fles!

" which is probably the reason you get so defensive when people criticize games you like "

I prfer the term amused. I actually don't mind the criticism (heck, I SHARE some of the criticism). I even said good posts to two people here who weren't big fans of the game. It's the people who spam how crappy BIO games (or DA2 since this is a DA2 thread), how they are never gonna play but itn sucks anyways), and they bash and insult those whom like it. It's trolling. Justa dmit you are trolling so you can at least keep your honesty about it.

BACK ON DA2: It's the sequel to DA1.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I know it's pointless to say it but I will anyway; every game Obsidz made was an improvement over any of the original Bio titles. same goes for Bethesda. their games can be buggy, no doubt about that (although, I've never encountered any serious bugs in their games, so I'm just stating the opinion of the majority here), but the amount of stuff they actually do better makes up for the bugs.

my point; Bio is nowhere near as good as Obsidian when it comes to computer role-playing games. because every sequel Bio makes tends to be meh-ish, compared to the same amount of work done by Obsidian and the end result. I know (I think I do) why so many people like Bio's games, but if Obsidian had Bio's budget, they'd be owning the RPG scene now

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

My girlfriend has been playing some more DA2. She feels that it is more of an addon than a 'true' sequel due to the production values and the rehashing of the same levels over and over and over again. Since she's a fan of romances, she's really dissapointed in the male characters as well. One is moody, and the other is broody (as the dwarf puts it) and the third one, the exiled prince, is stoic. She likes the story itself though (not being the chosen one).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"I know it's pointless to say it but I will anyway; every game Obsidz made was an improvement over any of the original Bio titles. same goes for Bethesda."

No.

"my point; Bio is nowhere near as good as Obsidian when it comes to computer role-playing games. because every sequel Bio makes tends to be meh-ish, compared to the same amount of work done by Obsidian and the end result. I know (I think I do) why so many people like Bio's games, but if Obsidian had Bio's budget, they'd be owning the RPG scene now

"

No. Obsdiian has made on great expansion, and 2 good games. And, 1 crap game, and 1 crap expansions.

KOTOR2 and NWN2 are not better than NWN1 and KOTOR1. They're about equal at best.

"she's really dissapointed in the male characters as well. One is moody, and the other is broody (as the dwarf puts it) and the third one, the exiled prince, is stoic. "

But, can't thsoe desriptions be sued for all BIo romances ever or heck any romances everwhere ? Just like the female romances tend to be 'naive girl', 'tough broad', and 'slutty gal'?

I do agree with your grilfriend's assessment of rpeetive areas. That's one thing most everyone whose played the game - like it or not - agrees with. Over, and over, and over again. Its worse than ME1 in that regard sadly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

When I was out in Canada at EA, I noticed this little A4 sheet of paper which one of the rendering guys had pinned up. I liked it, because it made things very clear.

That type of sign is actually really common in many art and design companies. I have it too but I've used strikethrough on every fast. Deadlines can go to hell :lol:

EA and Bioware really took costcutting measures seriously with Dragon Age 2. They cut so many corners that they managed to carve sphere out of cube. Beancounters must be happy.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

very much enjoying the game still. In the end it might actually be better than DAO. I'm only halfway through it though so I'm not sure.

It's definitely not as noteworthy as DAO was because that game was the first big budget traditional crpg from bioware in so long. Still, part 2 might end up being a more fun game, and be more fun to replay.

edit: so far varric is turning out to be my favorite bioware npc in any of their games. again, very odd because I was expecting to hate him. merril started off entertaining, but she has a few too many joss whedon wannabe bits going on. Fenris is pukeonaspoon boring. Aveline is bland, but not annoying at least. Sebastian is annoying so far, and Isabela has... a couple of things really working in her favor.

the only characters I liked in DAO were dog and allister. so this game is roughly on par with that one as characters go

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

KOTOR2 and NWN2 are not better than NWN1 and KOTOR1. They're about equal at best.

While NWN2 was... Unstable on release (so was NWN... Deal with it Volo).

NWN2 was the better product, and I think with the exception of the camera, a far better game.

NWN2 is the best game Obsidian has released to date in my opinion, while everything else hasn't been bad, its not been all that great either... New Vegas, AP, so on... Nothing worth spaztarding out about.

That type of sign is actually really common in many art and design companies. I have it too but I've used strikethrough on every fast. Deadlines can go to hell :lol:

EA and Bioware really took costcutting measures seriously with Dragon Age 2. They cut so many corners that they managed to carve sphere out of cube. Beancounters must be happy.

I think Bioware did a good job, but the timeframe was evil... You have to recycle assets, or you're going to lower the quality bar so much it'll suck.

NWN2 is the best game Obsidian has released to date in my opinion, while everything else hasn't been bad, its not been all that great either... New Vegas, AP, so on... Nothing worth spaztarding out about.

I agree that NWN2 was pretty good, doubly so with XPs but I think you're overlooking the most salient point about FO:NV. This game proved that you could square the circle of having a grown-up, hybrid plot / sandbox type CRPG that was popular and profitable.

That's one of the reasons I have confidence in Obz and, increasingly, Bethseda and why my confidence in BiowarEA is about zero.

sonsofgygax.JPG

very much enjoying the game still. In the end it might actually be better than DAO. I'm only halfway through it though so I'm not sure.

It's definitely not as noteworthy as DAO was because that game was the first big budget traditional crpg from bioware in so long. Still, part 2 might end up being a more fun game, and be more fun to replay.

edit: so far varric is turning out to be my favorite bioware npc in any of their games. again, very odd because I was expecting to hate him. merril started off entertaining, but she has a few too many joss whedon wannabe bits going on. Fenris is pukeonaspoon boring. Aveline is bland, but not annoying at least. Sebastian is annoying so far, and Isabela has... a couple of things really working in her favor.

the only characters I liked in DAO were dog and allister. so this game is roughly on par with that one as characters go

I like Sandel, he's awesome, I want to see more of him... "ENCHANTMENT!" *Drools*

There's a lot I could really enjoy about DA2, but one of the most glaring issues is the repeated re-use of maps.

It's not just re-pasting sections, or using bits and pieces to make up new maps.. It's entire maps used again..and again. and again.

The 10th time you run into a mine / cavern / etc and it's the same layout just with a couple of "doors" blocked off.

And it's not even a good block off, it's a stone slab in the door frame.... :lol: Then with the automap still showing all the coridors that you can't access...

If you can get past that it's fairly entertaining.

Although I do feel that for all the supposed "getting into a position of power" that they posited you never really get that mood. Sure, you get to talk to various people in power and you get a shiny mansion..but apart from a few people going "woo, it's the Champion.." I didn't feel as if I had any real political power in the city. Just the ability to annoy/kill/run errands for the people who did.

One other thing that threw me.. Was it me or did Bio talk about how you'd see the game play being year 1 you arrive, then you'd see year 3, year 6, and year 9 and how events would change depending on your choices?

I mean, I recognised year ones arrival and onto the Deep Roads expedition..

Then the jump 3 years on and the sort of position of respect..

year 6 and you were the champion and , well, the situation explodes.

Where's the year 9? Or is that meant to represent the time frame that Varric is telling the story to the Seeker and that whole ending cutscene..? I can kind of see that, but it feels a very disapointing and lukewarm way...

And yes, that feels like there's going to be either serious dlc follow-on, a major expansion beyond what Awakening was for DA:O, or a fairly direct seque for Dragon Age 3...

Edit:

And if you import an old DA:O save.. you do get a lot of in-smirky comments and lines about what you did.. such as the whole "the pigeon population in Ferelden has taken a massive downturn. Something seems to be killing them off..What monster would do such a thing?" if

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't really mind the recycled caves. I mean C'mon, like it makes a big difference. Caves all look boring anyway.

It's one of the games epic flaw's mind... The asset reuse. It sucks... And makes me sad...

They need to add that in a game by now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra