Dragon Age 2

Gorth

There's corner cutting in every game. *shrug*

I played DA1 for a bit on PC. It was an overrated experience comapred to the 360. No need to punish myself with a repeat performance with DA2.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There's nothing botched or 'rushed job' about this.
There's also pleanty of "corner cutting" measures in place, that doesn't mean that the quality of what is there is a "botched" job, it certainly isn't.

I used "botched" in reference to how much the game differs from DA:O and Awakening -- instead of improving on a working formula, like they did with BG2, ToB, HotU, ME2 and Awakening, they decided to pretty much reboot the series entirely and turn it into something completely different. i.e. they botched the sequel to a great game.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I used "botched" in reference to how much the game differs from DA:O and Awakening -- instead of improving on a working formula, like they did with BG2, ToB, HotU, ME2 and Awakening, they decided to pretty much reboot the series entirely and turn it into something completely different. i.e. they botched the sequel to a great game.

I wouldn't use botched myself as I feel there are a number of improvements over DA:O.

They certainly botched the change to no auto attack and the lack of environments. DA:O did the same thing with random encounters. You would run into a different encounter all the time while traveling, but it was always in the same field. DA 2 takes that to extreme for indoor areas and caves and it really hurt the experience.

"I used "botched" in reference to how much the game differs from DA:O and Awakening"

But, it is the ame. It doesn't really differ at all. the game play changes ar eminor, and the story continuation despite the character of character is large. everything that happens in DA2 can only happen b/c a0 what happened in DA1 or b) DA lore.

Argue that the game sucks or whatever but to say it's not a true sequel is silly.

"DA:O did the same thing with random encounters. You would run into a different encounter all the time while traveling, but it was always in the same field."

In fairness to DA1, that wasn't a big deal since it was just random encounters anyways. Plus, if youw er enear mountains, you'd have mountainous areas.

DA2 overkills the repetive areas. Way too much. HUGE turnoff for sure.

seems like the game is slowly winning converts.

*waits for Monte to buckle*

You taunt me so, but happily no.

I salute you, sir.

You are made of strong stuff, indeed. >_<

What I've seen and heard about the fixed camera, combat hordes, fixed PC persona and general EmoWare soppiness lub story BS makes this an astonishingly easy decision to make, to be honest.

sonsofgygax.JPG

There's corner cutting in every game. *shrug*

I played DA1 for a bit on PC. It was an overrated experience comapred to the 360. No need to punish myself with a repeat performance with DA2.

I agree what you're saying about punishment and DA 2, it really probably should be played on console.

Yes corner cutting happends on every game, the problem with DA 2, is its obviously they've done alot more than they usually do in regards to corner cutting, particularly when it comes to artwork and environments.

It hasn't actually effected the game all that much, but its had a negative impact on the experience for some people.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

There's nothing botched or 'rushed job' about this.
There's also pleanty of "corner cutting" measures in place, that doesn't mean that the quality of what is there is a "botched" job, it certainly isn't.

Too subjective to bother discussing.

seems like the game is slowly winning converts.

*waits for Monte to buckle*

You taunt me so, but happily no.

I salute you, sir.

You are made of strong stuff, indeed. >_<

What I've seen and heard about the fixed camera, combat hordes, fixed PC persona and general EmoWare soppiness lub story BS makes this an astonishingly easy decision to make, to be honest.

Fixed camera, I agree.

Combat Hordes, I agree.

Fixed PC persona, I disagree.

General Emoware lub story BS, I disgree.

DA 2 is worth playing.

"I used "botched" in reference to how much the game differs from DA:O and Awakening"

But, it is the ame. It doesn't really differ at all. the game play changes ar eminor, and the story continuation despite the character of character is large. everything that happens in DA2 can only happen b/c a0 what happened in DA1 or b) DA lore.

Argue that the game sucks or whatever but to say it's not a true sequel is silly.

Fair enough. That's your opinion. In my experience there is a huge difference in how both games play -- I loved the first game, I hate the sequel. I agree with you regarding the lore; that's not what bothers me. And the new character doesn't bother me either. It's the gameplay that ruins the experience for me. Maybe there are so many minor changes that, put together, they just amount to one big suckfest for me. Or maybe it's a PC/console thing, though I can't comment on that as I never played DA on a console.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

The emo things is funny.. since, at worst, it's no mroe emo than any other BIO game, at best it's much better. Heck, wasn't one of the biggest whines about ME2 was all the 'daddy' issues? Not much of that in DA2... even those npcs in DA2 that had past family issues don't whine about it all. Heck, you won't even find out that isballea was married once and also had someone she loved prior to you unless you push her and she pretty much mentions it and moved on.

DA2 is worth playing, its fun, but it probably shouldnt be rewarded with a full price purchase. if this game had been $30 i'd give it 10 thumbs up or whatever, but as a full priced sequel, even though i like the game, it doesnt feel like a full priced effort went into it.

people who haven't bought it yet should wait until its $30 or less. but they should still get it, its fun.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Finally got to play. Didn't expect much and i didn't even get that so far. I hope Act II comes along soon. Companions other than Varric bore me , combat is dull and tedious ( i constantly wish i had friendly fire on Normal and hard ) so i don't even bother to manually level up companions. Their default skills picks win every fight.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

The funny thing is, even though I'm not particularly a fan of Bioware's game designs, I would probably buy this game if I had the time to play it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I played another four hours tonight, I just reached Isabella and she's pretty cool, she'll have chronic back problems by her 40's though...

The best moment so far was

finding Alistair, a broken man, just how I wanted him to be

, perfect. :skull:

*edit* I say "just reached", 16 hours in, I like that I could apparently have missed her completely.

Edited by WDeranged

The best moment so far was

finding Alistair, a broken man, just how I wanted him to be

, perfect. :skull:

Did you import a save or is that the default?

I found Alistair broken at the Inn and I took "No Compromise" history during character creation.

D-bag? He was the nicest character in the game!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Nah Wynne has him beat.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I guess many people can't get over his tantrum at the Landsmeet.

It wasn't so much the tantrum as the other hours of whining and bad jokes.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Nah Wynne has him beat.

Okay, nicest character in the game that I didn't kill in my first playthrough.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."