What you did today

Gorth

So far, I've coughed a lot.

Time to put some clothes on and grab some take-out lunch. Chinese or Hawaiian, that is the question.

The clothes or the food? :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Coming out of the subway this evening, a gust of wind blew into my face, bringing with it for the first time this year whatever pollen it is that my sinuses and eyes most dislike. I've never actually had an allergy test (I never really suffered from seasonal allergies at all until I was well into my 20s), but whatever is in the air right now is something that my eyes and nose object to most strenuously.

So now I'm sitting at my desk listening to some Bowie (Hunky Dory) and drinking some bourbon (Woodford Reserve).

Luckily, there's some rain in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, which should help knock the pollen out of the air.

I tentatively signed up for classes for Fall, still wondering if I'm going to take 15 or 18 credits although I'm leaning towards the 18 at the moment (although some of that is interdependent study/research).

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Coming out of the subway this evening, a gust of wind blew into my face, bringing with it for the first time this year whatever pollen it is that my sinuses and eyes most dislike. I've never actually had an allergy test (I never really suffered from seasonal allergies at all until I was well into my 20s), but whatever is in the air right now is something that my eyes and nose object to most strenuously.

Since you live in Washington I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that you're not a hayfever sufferer. The bad news is that you got a snout full of commuter borne coke.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I dont think Ive ever seen a Hawaiian restaurant. Weird.

The iPod2 was delivered on Monday. Its super sexy. My intention is to use it as an electronic "coffee table" book. Already loaded some fun little apps like Rhapsody, Atari (the entire friggin catalog for $14.99)(no, its not as good as we remember), Angry Birds, it even has an app that simulates my Comcast remote, etc... Fun little gizmo but nothing I would have owned if I had to pay for it (wife won it).

I had this slight panic attack today. We are having a meeting on assessing student learning, and how to help students self-assess. I started to panic. I have 37 students in every class and I have to cover 11 huge units in one school year. How the **** do I also teach them to self-assess, then look at what they learned and go back over concepts they didn't get? My blood pressure went up and I excused myself from the room. I need to stop typing because it is happening again.

Having the skill of self-criticism is strongly associated with academic succes, mate. But I more than accept your point about feasibility. If only because, you know, not everyone's the same (a fact that surprises most bureaucrats) and consequently a good swathe of your kids won't have the faintest clue how to self-assess.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Having the skill of self-criticism is strongly associated with academic succes, mate. But I more than accept your point about feasibility. If only because, you know, not everyone's the same (a fact that surprises most bureaucrats) and consequently a good swathe of your kids won't have the faintest clue how to self-assess.

I get that I should be doing it, I mean I really want to do it. I want to be the best teacher I can, of course. I just feel like I have no feasible shot at success.

I could do it with 20 students per class and about half the amount of curriculum. That's why I enjoyed teaching summer school, I had half the kids and I was only expected to cover one unit.

The Hawaiian restaurant is a sort of fast-food grill type place. Does BBQ meats, seafood (mahi mahi!) and things like that. Also, a lot of Spam dishes. Apparently Spam is popular in Hawaii. So nothing special but it's tasty. I usually go for the BBQ beef & chicken.

And today I'm starting to think about putting the A/C unit back in this room. We really need to insulate the roof space someday.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I get that I should be doing it, I mean I really want to do it. I want to be the best teacher I can, of course. I just feel like I have no feasible shot at success.

I could do it with 20 students per class and about half the amount of curriculum. That's why I enjoyed teaching summer school, I had half the kids and I was only expected to cover one unit.

I hope I didn't sound critcial of you. I think it says a lot that you even bring it up here. Your kids are obviously important to you.

For me this episode is getting filed under "Bureaucrats force everyone into same size and shape shoe again".

-Elwood Blues

and drinking some bourbon (Woodford Reserve).

An indication that you are a man of refinement and good taste.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've been telling you, you've got to get out of the Bay area. Head north to Oregon or even east to Sacramento, or even better, Nevada, you'd be teaching smaller classes for the same money and have lower cost of living to boot. Heck that why I left Florida. For almost the exact same mortgage for a 1400 sq ft house on a 1 acre plot in West Palm Beach I built a 2300 sq ft house on 25 acres with river access.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Trying to stir up enthusiasm for the day. Not sure why but I really had to force myself out of bed this morning and just seem to have that downer attitude.

Pondering on the fine lines of what strikes as obsession.. :shifty:

Controlling how much your emotions show, fairly easy. Controlling how much you act on emotions, a touch easier. Controlling which emotions you feel and deal with.. frikkin impossible. Even when you know better.

Of course, when moments of self-analysis and personal reflection turn into slightly juvenile, melodramatic metaphor.. you might consider that a sign of problems. >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I had this slight panic attack today. We are having a meeting on assessing student learning, and how to help students self-assess. I started to panic. I have 37 students in every class and I have to cover 11 huge units in one school year. How the **** do I also teach them to self-assess, then look at what they learned and go back over concepts they didn't get? My blood pressure went up and I excused myself from the room. I need to stop typing because it is happening again.

Do you have high blood-pressure normally? Either way, if the panic-attacks continue you should try to get it checked out, they can be a real pain in the ass.

I haven't done much lately, seems to have caught the obligatory spring/summer cold and am now sneezing my brains out, battling a slight fever and so forth.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Entered work late due to some lawyer/banker douchebag getting trapped in the revolving door and my deciding to watch him and the firemen who "rescued" him rather than walk around and go to work. That's the third person to be trapped in the doors here in a year.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

... Kay.

Here, my birch pollen allergy decided to manifest itself with a double nosebleed and some serious itching, instead of the more conventional blocked nose and sore throat. Not too happy, and my university medical blows. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Entered work late due to some lawyer/banker douchebag getting trapped in the revolving door and my deciding to watch him and the firemen who "rescued" him rather than walk around and go to work. That's the third person to be trapped in the doors here in a year.

Lawyer and faulty revolving door?

That sounds like a lawsuit to me.

sonsofgygax.JPG

During the bus ride from my workplace to home I eavesdropped on a conversation some girl was having, rather loudly, with her friend on the phone.

She kept going on and on about how to gather enough mounts in WoW to get the 100 mount achievement. I couldn't believe how enthusiastic she was about such menial and boring task. It must have sounded absolutely mental to anyone who's not familiar with WoW due to the amount of WoW specific lingo she used, while mixing finnish and english together into sentences that even I had hard time keeping track.

Then I thought, was I as obnoxious few years ago when I still played WoW, and talked about it in public places with my friends. I hope not. :(

If I could toss Lackey into the lion pit, I would.

Watched ballgame. Bought a Bradley Cooper 7-11 cup filled with cola Slurpee. Sat in the sun. Surfed the web. Now wishing the neighbor would move her car so I can squeeze my own car out of the driveway to run errands.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Had colic today, like some sort of outlandish baby. Was also accosted outside polling centre by party nutloop who demanded to know if he could take a not of my voting card number. I politley informed him that I felt this was 'inappropriate' and that there was no way on Earth I'd let him know my voting details. This made me so angry I didn't even realise until about ten minutes later! Surely this is the kind of thing that happens in banana dictatorships?

Then I found out my friend had Labour pollsters actually come to his house and demand to know how he'd voted. WTF????!

-Elwood Blues

Do you have high blood-pressure normally? Either way, if the panic-attacks continue you should try to get it checked out, they can be a real pain in the ass.

I'm supposed to go to the doctor about my blood pressure, it has been high the last few times I've been to a doctors office. Apparently it is genetic, my mom is very healthy but she has to take medication for her blood pressure. I'm in my early 30's so I guess this is the time where stuff starts to happen like this.

I'd barely call it a panic attack, so hopefully it was nothing. But there have been more of these moments where I feel my blood pressure rising lately. It's been pretty much this last year, and I think I can say it has quite a bit to do with having a baby and a 4-year old around the house. A good night's sleep is a rarity and the house erupts in chaos every few minutes.

Had colic today, like some sort of outlandish baby. Was also accosted outside polling centre by party nutloop who demanded to know if he could take a not of my voting card number. I politley informed him that I felt this was 'inappropriate' and that there was no way on Earth I'd let him know my voting details. This made me so angry I didn't even realise until about ten minutes later! Surely this is the kind of thing that happens in banana dictatorships?

Then I found out my friend had Labour pollsters actually come to his house and demand to know how he'd voted. WTF????!

Aren't those just exit polls?