Dragon Age 2

Rosbjerg

oh well, i wasn't planning on using it anyway, but really thats pretty stupid, why would someone choose to play dragon age 2 on console...

(please no one try to answer that, im not interested in that debate ;(

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

And I thought Mass Effect 2 had too much gimmicky ****.

Do people really buy games based on ****ing "exclusive" DLC armor sets? I really hope this isn't the direction games go in.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I'd pretty much toss anyone who regularly discusses video games onto the pile. If you have a forum account, you're not getting away.

Good point. :ninja:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

'Cause DA1 is a superior experience to playing it on PC and no doubt DA2 will be no different.

Maybe not, since they are obviously going for an action hybrid. I'll hold my opinion until I see the "strategy" parts of the gameplay, or if it will be all mindless button crunching.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Do people really buy games based on ****ing "exclusive" DLC armor sets? I really hope this isn't the direction games go in.

Maybe if it had a hat for TF2.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I know many that would be all over it then! XD

I think the idea for this stuff is just little gestures to encourage those not sure if they want to buy, or just to create some buzz.

It's gimmicky and stupid.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

yes it is, actually it kinda reminds me of the stories you here about the gimmicks movie theaters would employ to get people into the seats back in the 50's.

lets hope things never get so bad that we have to play games with ... smello-vision!!!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think the idea for this stuff is just little gestures to encourage those not sure if they want to buy, or just to create some buzz.

Would it make you happier if it just wasn't there?

Because if it's gimmicky and stupid, it's easy to not use.

Would it make you happier if it just wasn't there?

Because if it's gimmicky and stupid, it's easy to not use.

Yes, it would, actually.

I like gimmicks. Did gimmicks do something to you? You got a problem with gimmicks, you got a problem with me!

*puts fists up*

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Now you just sound like Volo. :)

Me not using it doesn't make it any less gimmicky and stupid.

It makes it irrelevant. Or at least it should.

You guys are the ones sounding like Volo. Seriously look at yourselves. A whole ton of bitching and whining about something I figured you wouldn't even care about. God forbid it be something you DID care about.

Yes, it would, actually.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. I guess you do care about it. God forbid the entire title not cater entirely to the whims of Oblarg. I'm sure I'll regret asking this, but if it's not something you care for, then why do you actually seem to care? It's something trivial and probably not even that difficult to add. Or is it just because it's not something you wanted?

Edited by Thorton_AP

Things like Isaac's Armo(u)r is not worth worrying about it in the slightest- the armour would have been made for DS2 anyway, presumably in MAX or similar and it might well take a matter of seconds to make it work in DA2 if porting directly is possible. It's a bit silly but ultimately there's no reason to really care. The TF hats is a good equivalent really, I tend to think they're rather silly and I find the idea of going out of one's way to obtain one a bit silly too. But some people rather enjoy it, it doesn't take away from the game itself and ultimately there's simply no reason for me to really care. If someone likes collecting hats (or achievements/ trophies, or [something else I consider silly]*) good on 'em, keep trucking.

On the other hand chopping bits of DLC out of a game to sell separately or as inducements I don't like much as that potentially does have impacts, even if it's just the added hassle of signing up to the EA database and time doing the downloading- if I'm buying a new game I'm paying the premium because I want to play it now. Having said that, since it encourages waiting for GOTYs/ Ultimate editions which are cheaper and you tend to get the lot at once and for 'free' I can't get too upset about it.

*apparently I either don't find much silly or simply don't care enough to remember. Win/ Win either way really.

Now you just sound like Volo. :)

Me not using it doesn't make it any less gimmicky and stupid.

It makes it irrelevant. Or at least it should.

You guys are the ones sounding like Volo. Seriously look at yourselves. A whole ton of bitching and whining about something I figured you wouldn't even care about. God forbid it be something you DID care about.

Yes, it would, actually.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. I guess you do care about it. God forbid the entire title not cater entirely to the whims of Oblarg. I'm sure I'll regret asking this, but if it's not something you care for, then why do you actually seem to care? It's something trivial and probably not even that difficult to add. Or is it just because it's not something you wanted?

Hey, why don't we have even *more* specials? How about a laser gun if you buy ME3? Or an assault rifle if you bought COD? Yeah, those'll fit right in!

Even better, why not just have offer a ****ing I Win button for extra money, and the ability to make your character look like ****ing Master Chief. That'd definitely sell copies.

People are using "it's stupid" when they really mean "I don't like it". If this sort of promotion does the job the publishers want it to do then it's obviously not stupid.

Well, it's not stupid if you're a publisher, but it is stupid if you're a gamer who doesn't want the games you buy chopped up into little pieces and sold off as parts.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

People are using "it's stupid" when they really mean "I don't like it". If this sort of promotion does the job the publishers want it to do then it's obviously not stupid.

Well, it's not stupid if you're a publisher, but it is stupid if you're a gamer who doesn't want the games you buy chopped up into little pieces and sold off as parts.

"it's stupid" still doesn't work. how 'bout, "I'm stupid for buying a game that was chopped up into little pieces and sold off as parts." is like stolen luxury cars. no? sell an audi or bmw whole is worth less to the thief than it is to chop into pieces and sell separate. publishers/developers has only recently adopted the chop-shop approach to game sales, but is equal effective as with luxury cars. people won't pay $120 for dragon age, fallout: new vegas, or other similar titles. nevertheless, perhaps inexplicably, they will pay $120 if you sell in pieces.

*shrug*

is not that the publishers is stoopid. is that buyers feels like they has been cheated... the buyer feels stoopid for paying $120 for a game... or at least that is how Gromnir sees.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, it's not stupid if you're a publisher, but it is stupid if you're a gamer

Would you say the same thing if Oblarg had used the word "gay" instead of "stupid"? It's not gay if you're a publisher, but it is gay if you're a gamer? Nope, "I don't like it" is still a better fit than "it's stupid", "it's lame", "it's crap", "it's gay", or "it's slowtrain".

who doesn't want the games you buy chopped up into little pieces and sold off as parts.

I was referring to the Ser Issac armour, which is obviously something created specifically to be used as part of a promotion.

I think Gromnir has hit the nail on the head. The publishers aren't stupid, the promotion isn't stupid, but some gamers feel cheated so they lash out.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Well, it's not stupid if you're a publisher, but it is stupid if you're a gamer

Would you say the same thing if Oblarg had used the word "gay" instead of "stupid"? It's not gay if you're a publisher, but it is gay if you're a gamer? Nope, "I don't like it" is still a better fit than "it's stupid", "it's lame", "it's crap", "it's gay", or "it's slowtrain".

who doesn't want the games you buy chopped up into little pieces and sold off as parts.

I was referring to the Ser Issac armour, which is obviously something created specifically to be used as part of a promotion.

I think Gromnir has hit the nail on the head. The publishers aren't stupid, the promotion isn't stupid, but some gamers feel cheated so they lash out.

No, I think it cheapens the experience and harms the immersion. Even if there is no direct appearance of the promotions in-game if you choose not to use them, the fact that the developers are willing to insert **** like that into the in-game universe and expect that a non-negligible number of people will choose to use them at the expense of any shred of immersion harms the game, as it basically says that the developers don't give a **** about the game world or lore that they've made, and if that's the case I have a hard time caring about it myself.

No, I think it cheapens the experience and harms the immersion. Even if there is no direct appearance of the promotions in-game if you choose not to use them, the fact that the developers are willing to insert **** like that into the in-game universe and expect that a non-negligible number of people will choose to use them at the expense of any shred of immersion harms the game, as it basically says that the developers don't give a **** about the game world or lore that they've made

You've explained why you don't like it, but it's still just a case of being something you don't like. The only fact you've offered up here is that you can choose not to use the item.

and if that's the case I have a hard time caring about it myself.

This doesn't make any sense. You cannot feel so strongly about this issue that it damages both your view of the game and the company that makes it, and also have a hard time caring about it.

I'm not buying Dead Space 2 so I won't be able to use this armour. I wouldn't use this armour if it was available because I think the helmet looks out of place. It won't exist in my game so it's a total non-issue. I don't care. Despite acknowledging that you can choose not to use this armour set, you have a problem with its very existence and have drawn a very negative conclusion regarding the developers based on its existence. You most assuredly do care. You seem to have a hard time not caring.

No, I think it cheapens the experience and harms the immersion. Even if there is no direct appearance of the promotions in-game if you choose not to use them, the fact that the developers are willing to insert **** like that into the in-game universe and expect that a non-negligible number of people will choose to use them at the expense of any shred of immersion harms the game, as it basically says that the developers don't give a **** about the game world or lore that they've made

You've explained why you don't like it, but it's still just a case of being something you don't like. The only fact you've offered up here is that you can choose not to use the item.

and if that's the case I have a hard time caring about it myself.

This doesn't make any sense. You cannot feel so strongly about this issue that it damages both your view of the game and the company that makes it, and also have a hard time caring about it.

I'm not buying Dead Space 2 so I won't be able to use this armour. I wouldn't use this armour if it was available because I think the helmet looks out of place. It won't exist in my game so it's a total non-issue. I don't care. Despite acknowledging that you can choose not to use this armour set, you have a problem with its very existence and have drawn a very negative conclusion regarding the developers based on its existence. You most assuredly do care. You seem to have a hard time not caring.

Re-read the post - it's the game world I have a hard time caring about when the developers show that they themselves are willing to inject out-of-place gimmicky **** into it and expect the players to welcome it. It's almost a vote of no confidence in their own product, in a way.

Re-read the post - it's the game world I have a hard time caring about when the developers show that they themselves are willing to inject out-of-place gimmicky **** into it and expect the players to welcome it.

You're right I did read that wrong, though I still think you're jumping to rather ridiculous conclusions. It's like seeing a joke in a trailer for an otherwise serious film, and coming to the conclusion that the creators obviously treat the whole damn movie as one big joke.

It's also important to point out that they haven't injected a gimmicky bonus into the game and expected players to welcome it, they've given players the choice to inject it into their own games. Whether you "welcome" it depends on whether or not you want to input the code.

It's almost a vote of no confidence in their own product, in a way.

It is no such thing, this is a completely ridiculous thing to believe.