Dragon Age 2

Rosbjerg

"I'm an RPG fan, I am DA2's target demography."

No way no how do the EA big wigs think that some silly armour is gonna convince people who loathe the idea of DA2 to buy it. It's for the people who are the fence, those who may want to wait, etc., etc.

YOU are not DA2's target demography. Sorry, dude, but sadly Grom is right on this one. Sucks to admit but its' tue it's damn true.

YOU are irrelavant to EA. And, so am I.

btw, This pre order is also useless when it comes to convincing someone like me to preorder it since I alreayd planned too but ti does give those already interested in a bonus. So, that's another reason why these bonus DLCs are a good idea from a business standpoint whether you like it or not since it probably takes less than 10 minutes to make it. L0L

Which it's exactly why it bothers me, day one DLC began as pre-ordering and for choosing a distributor (GameStop :p) over another. I don't understand this promotional shtick, it's not gonna attract customers to the product and it's only for those who buy the two games. If they really want to attract a customer base they should offer points for every game you buy all working towards buying DLC or another game directly from them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

it's only for those who buy the two games.

Exactly, you finally seem to have managed to grasp it. If you're not intent on buying the two games, this particular DLC is not targeted at you.

Edited by Vilhelm

The "you" is very specific. You as in Orogun.

This marketing campaign didn't work on you. You're someone that is pretty outspoken about not being all that keen on preordering Dragon Age 2 in the first place. You even stated how something like this doesn't make you want to reconsider. Since you're not even considering it to begin with, it's not all that surprising that adding this hasn't pushed you over the edge.

I'm not sure what's so hard to follow about Gromnir's point.

I'm a potential customer, if the marketing strategies are not directed towards potential buyers then I don't see the point of it.

This is just an absurd statement. Not all marketing is going to be ideally directed to every potential consumer perfectly. Because it hasn't been successful specifically to you, does not mean it's an effective campaign. Unless you're seriously arguing that every other RPG advertisement ever made was perfectly targeted to you.

Considering that I'm an RPG fan, I am DA2's target demography. They don't know me, they don't know if come release date I might buy the game in the next 10 days, I'm a faceless number on a company board. If this marketing ploy it's not to broaden their audience; attract people that might not be all that interested in survival horror or RPGs to their product. Then I'm completely missing the point here.

Believe it or not, there ARE people in DA2's target demography that, in fact, like both franchises. It's also an easy cross promotion since both games are made by the same publisher You're not one of them in this case. You're not the target demographic of this particular promotion. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Given you've already stated you aren't interested in getting the game outside of the bargain bin (weren't you also the person that said "May God of mercy on your soul BioWare, because I won't" after seeing some screens/videos), I'm not entirely convinced that you were in any way seriously considering a preorder of this game.

ignoring for a moment that ea don't own minsc and boo, am curious to hear what peoples thinks would be the relative costs to add unlockable characters (with dedicated vo resources) versus adding some goofy armour.

On a somewhat related note, I always thought a good DLC for ME1 or 2 would have been to add another voice set for Shepard.

If they really want to attract a customer base they should offer points for every game you buy all working towards buying DLC or another game directly from them.

Ubisoft does something along these lines with it's Uplay system. You can earn points in Splinter Cell: Conviction, for example, to unlock extras in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

This is just an absurd statement. Not all marketing is going to be ideally directed to every potential consumer perfectly. Because it hasn't been successful specifically to you, does not mean it's an effective campaign. Unless you're seriously arguing that every other RPG advertisement ever made was perfectly targeted to you.

You really think that a piece of armor it's going to make anyone buy Dead Space? :shifty:

Me:'Hey you there, random person #1. Why did you bought Dead Space?"

Random person #1: "it was because of that nifty looking armor for DA2"

o:) Yeah, I don't see that happening.

Believe it or not, there ARE people in DA2's target demography that, in fact, like both franchises. It's also an easy cross promotion since both games are made by the same publisher You're not one of them in this case. You're not the target demographic of this particular promotion. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Given you've already stated you aren't interested in getting the game outside of the bargain bin (weren't you also the person that said "May God of mercy on your soul BioWare, because I won't" after seeing some screens/videos), I'm not entirely convinced that you were in any way seriously considering a preorder of this game.

:p Kudos on your memory (or your ability to go back several pages)

Considering that I will be getting Dead Space and further in time DA2, I am the target demographic. Point is that both games have nothing to do with each other, It's like getting mints with your newly bought AK. Doesn't do much for you.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

You really think that a piece of armor it's going to make anyone buy Dead Space? :p

Considering the amount of people on the Bio boards who were bitching about being forced into buying DAO to get Blood Dragon Armor for ME2, yeah.

Also, this is obviously meant to specifically cross-promote the two games. Make people who have decided to buy one for sure at the very least consider the other one. I know I did, momentarily, consider buying Dead Space 2 upon learning of this promotion, but decided against it for now.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You really think that a piece of armor it's going to make anyone buy Dead Space? :p

:shifty: Yeah, I don't see that happening.

Actually I'm sure there are folks out there who will purchase DS2 purely for the extra stuff it gets them in DA2, just like there are folks who will purchase 10 copies of the same comic because they all have a different cover. Completionists like that though will always be in the minority and that's not really the point. The point of cross-promotion stuff like this is to advertise one game to those who so far were only interested in the other. To sell the consumer two products instead of just one. If people end up buying both games because of this form of advertising then it's doing its job, the specifics on how they came to make their choice isn't important. Edit: What Nepenthe said above.

If you've already decided to purchase both games, then you aren't the target of this cross-promotion.

If you're the type who prefers to wait six months after release in the hope a game will be cheaper, patched and available in some sort of gold edition then you aren't the target of pre-release promotions.

DLC preorder bonuses exist to sway those who think along the lines of "If I put money down now I get more at no extra cost". If you're more the type to think "They're ripping stuff out of the game to sell back to me later", then you aren't the target of such promotions.

You are not the target demographic, you are part of the target demographic.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I'd go as far as say that he's part of A target demographic. I think it's pretty much a given that they are targeting some of the god of war demographic, as well.

You really think that a piece of armor it's going to make anyone buy Dead Space? :)

:x Yeah, I don't see that happening.

Actually I'm sure there are folks out there who will purchase DS2 purely for the extra stuff it gets them in DA2, just like there are folks who will purchase 10 copies of the same comic because they all have a different cover. Completionists like that though will always be in the minority and that's not really the point. The point of cross-promotion stuff like this is to advertise one game to those who so far were only interested in the other. To sell the consumer two products instead of just one. If people end up buying both games because of this form of advertising then it's doing its job, the specifics on how they came to make their choice isn't important. Edit: What Nepenthe said above.

If you've already decided to purchase both games, then you aren't the target of this cross-promotion.

If you're the type who prefers to wait six months after release in the hope a game will be cheaper, patched and available in some sort of gold edition then you aren't the target of pre-release promotions.

DLC preorder bonuses exist to sway those who think along the lines of "If I put money down now I get more at no extra cost". If you're more the type to think "They're ripping stuff out of the game to sell back to me later", then you aren't the target of such promotions.

Sorry, I forgot that people are irrational beings. :)

I'm actually the type that thinks: "if a modder can do a better job and release it for free, why would I want to pay them for the same quality?" That's my main beef with DLC, I expect something better from a game company that has 80 people working for them vs a random guys on the web that are able to release modules that are of higher make.

I'd go as far as say that he's part of A target demographic. I think it's pretty much a given that they are targeting some of the god of war demographic, as well.

I'm part of that demographic too. :x

village_idiot.gif

I'm part of that demographic too. :)

I'm honestly starting to wonder if you're just trolling, or this thing is actually so hard for you to grasp?

You really think that a piece of armor it's going to make anyone buy Dead Space? :)

:x Yeah, I don't see that happening.

I do think it will make people consider getting the game to get bonus stuff. I think it also serves well to advertise both games.

Considering that I will be getting Dead Space and further in time DA2, I am the target demographic. Point is that both games have nothing to do with each other, It's like getting mints with your newly bought AK. Doesn't do much for you.

Not every marketing tool is going to be equally effective across the entire demographic. Considering the offer has an expiry date, I suspect you aren't actually a part of the demographic since you certainly don't indicate any interest in picking up DA2 while it's still expensive.

Edited by Thorton_AP

I'm honestly starting to wonder if you're just trolling, or this thing is actually so hard for you to grasp?

No, I'm actually a fan of GoW. :x

village_idiot.gif

This doesn't demonstrate whether or not the advertising itself is effective, but an appreciable number of people do validate the codes they get for this sort of stuff.

I suspect it will still be the same for this cross promotion.

I'm part of that demographic too. :lol:

No, I'm actually a fan of GoW. :lol:

Objection, you are badgering the witness. :lol:

village_idiot.gif

If someone is a huge Mass Effect fan, maybe they would like the idea of looking like the Shepard character in another FPS game. Likewise some Dead space fans might like playing as someone that looks similar to its main character.

Also the announcement itself is a cheap form of advertising. I knew nothing about dead space and still have no intention of getting it. But I now know it is being released soon, the main character's name and what he presumably looks like.

Objection, you are badgering the witness. :lol:

Ironically, I thought he was witnessing a badger.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No, I'm actually a fan of GoW. :*

Objection, you are badgering the witness. :)

Ironically, I thought he was witnessing a badger.

:x What?

village_idiot.gif