Dragon Age 2

Rosbjerg

Re-read the post - it's the game world I have a hard time caring about when the developers show that they themselves are willing to inject out-of-place gimmicky **** into it and expect the players to welcome it.

You're right I did read that wrong, though I still think you're jumping to rather ridiculous conclusions. It's like seeing a joke in a trailer for an otherwise serious film, and coming to the conclusion that the creators obviously treat the whole damn movie as one big joke.

It's also important to point out that they haven't injected a gimmicky bonus into the game and expected players to welcome it, they've given players the choice to inject it into their own games. Whether you "welcome" it depends on whether or not you want to input the code.

It's almost a vote of no confidence in their own product, in a way.

It is no such thing, this is a completely ridiculous thing to believe.

How many good, serious films have you seen which have trailers with stupid, puerile jokes in them?

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Because all jokes are stupid and puerile.

Ones analogous to the stupid, gimmicky bonuses certainly are.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Well I painted myself into that corner.

If an optional set of armour that with a name change and helmet switch probably wouldn't seem out of place at all is enough to taint the entire game world and it's lore then that's your loss. Its existence does no damage to the game or to Bioware, despite your ridiculous belief otherwise.

How many good, serious films have you seen which have trailers with stupid, puerile jokes in them?

How many good films have been completely serious?

And puerile? Did I miss a booger joke somewhere?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i'm actually more in agreement with oblarq on this one. Putting cyborg armor in dragon age, even if its optional, is patently... stupid. its just a dumb, childish thing to do. I don't care that most people won't see it, it bothers me that they thought it was a good idea at all.

This is how the meeting should have happened:

Design Intern: "hey lets put some cyborg armor in here but make it optional!"

Lead Designer: "that is a stupid idea. no."

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Hopefully we'll see minguns and tesla armor in Skyrim.

With a name change, of course.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

this dude looks like a cyborg to me.

edit: also, is that not what everyone else is upset about? i assumed we were all talking about how cyborgs don't belong in dragon age...

edit 2: or is this one of those "there are no orcs in dragon age, only genlocks" type of thing?

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

How does that look like a cyborg? It's regular armor with a glowing face. What part of that suggests electronic/organic connection?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

its mostly in the general region where the cyborg armor is worn by the non cyborg dragon age character. thats pretty much where the cyborg part is. you know, generally :)

It's a vacuum/ utility suit for a guy who has a slightly more important form of Space Janitorship than Arnold Judas Rimmer had. Not even a hint of cyborgness about it- if he had glowing red eye sockets no-one would think the red meant he was The Terminator, would they?

How it probably did happen:

Marketing Manager: We've got some games coming out close together. Can we get a cross promotion going?

Intern: How about putting Isaac's suit from DS2 into Dragon Age? Maybe combine it with a pre-order bonus?

MM: Excellent work that man.

MM: OK Dragon Age producer, we want to do this cross promotion.

DAP: Fine, should take five minutes to set up.

DAAD: And our new art direction means we've got plenty of armour that looks that silly already in the game!

fin

Edited by Zoraptor

srslyguys.jpg

I couldn't find a good "gaming - serious business" one in the 25 seconds I had allocated to the search. The people making themselves ridiculous aren't working for EA right now. At least I don't think they are.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

i'm actually more in agreement with oblarq on this one. Putting cyborg armor in dragon age, even if its optional, is patently... stupid. its just a dumb, childish thing to do. I don't care that most people won't see it, it bothers me that they thought it was a good idea at all.

so it bothers you that something optional will be in games purchased by people other than yourself? the mere existence o' the possibility o' cyborg armour being in Bob or Phil or Stan's game somehow diminishes your appreciation and enjoyment o' the game?

okie dokie. fine. have seen the boards long enough to know that people don't have to be rational to genuine "feel" something. however, seems obvious that it ain't the publisher/developer who is being stoopid. if the optional material successfully increases sales by some target number, then it were a financial success... and as much as oblarg and enterix claim that such optional material reveals developer/publisher stoopidity (HA!) am finding it highly unlikely that their ultimate decision to purchase dead rising 2 or dragon age 2 will hinge on this optional offering. no genuine potential customers lost. as long as the cost to ea of adding cyborg armour is less than the ultimate benefit, then is hard to claim developer/publisher stoopidity.

HA! Good Fun!

ps how many folks recall st. paddy annah and easter egg morte? both o' those Optional downloads from black isle/interplay were far more incongruous with the planescape setting than is the cyborg armour relative to the da setting. nevertheless, am not recalling any howls o' anguish. perhaps 'cause annah and morte were free? perhaps 'cause it were black isle and not bio/ea? regardless, annah dressed up in a kelly green top hat while wielding shamrocks instead o' punch daggers caused less dismay than does the cyborg armour. go figure.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I couldn't find a good "gaming - serious business" one in the 25 seconds I had allocated to the search. The people making themselves ridiculous aren't working for EA right now. At least I don't think they are.

Angry Videogame Nerd delivers.

videogamesseriousbusine.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

actually, if it was put in there as an easter egg piece of humor it wouldn't bother me. hidden humor in games, even serious ones, is something I enjoy.

actually, if it was put in there as an easter egg piece of humor it wouldn't bother me. hidden humor in games, even serious ones, is something I enjoy.

so, hidden humor that is incongruous with the setting is ok, but optional stuff (content that ain't present in your game 'less you take additional action to make it appear) that doesn't jibe with the setting is... bad?

am not sure what is the significance of "hidden" (more o' that genuine but irrational we mentioned above) but the morte and annah downloads were clear not hidden. it were Optional & obvious. optional made it so that people who did not want morte to look like a painted easter egg instead o' a skull need not endure a vandalized morte... which is why we suspect that nobody genuine complained. don't like? don't download. simple.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Cross-promotions and focus groups are pretty much the worst things to happen to entertainment.

That and Larry the Cable Guy.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Cross-promotions and focus groups are pretty much the worst things to happen to entertainment.

That and Larry the Cable Guy.

reality tv rates as our number 1 worst entertainment innovation o' the past generation...

could make enterix happy by including a cross promotion dancing with stars easter egg in da2... bio includes an in-game dance contest with famous ea title personages as judges and/or dance partners.

am thinking we would quit gaming.

HA! Good Fun!

If a game interests me, I pick it up when I see it.

Same, but I am not that easily interested. AP, KOTOR2 or Freelancer had that odd honor for example. Usually demo's can convince me, but as they become scarcer... first day sales become scarcer.

Sure, sometimes when I see something like Arkham Asylum for 20e, like I did in October, I'll pick it up, but mostly I just follow the above pattern.

November, 10 euro. I tend to wait till acceptable prices and don't mind risking titles I am not sure of (ME, AA) if cheaper. Say, Overlord II for 15 euro's back when it was still 40 everywhere else, or ME2 during my summer vacation for 20 euro's. Though I usually buy like that, so I probably still buy the same amount of games as you do, I just get them 4 months behind your schedule >_<.

Think Pantaloons. That's not nearly as stupid as getting a glowing head helmet from game start.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

i love getting games at bargain prices, the downside to that though is when I find a really good one, I tend to pay full price for the sequel. Well, its a downside for my wallet, an upside for the publisher.

Think Pantaloons. That's not nearly as stupid as getting a glowing head helmet from game start.

am confused by the reference. you cannot be referencing the bg pantaloons: a three-part easter egg that required a player to complete two previous bg games and then export their character into tob with a couple o' trigger items in their inventory? no doubt there is a different pantaloons you reference, but our limited gaming experience prevents us from making the connection... 'cause otherwise we cannot see how you would be expecting customers to PAY for the aforementioned easter egg.

HA! Good Fun!

Those are the ones. Enough items in DA they could use (did the bad luck charm EVER had any use in the entire game?).

And yeah, I wasn't talking about paying for it either...

Still, it does in someway do that too. Although not for another genre (Dead Space) but you got to get the other games in the series, unless you cheat. :)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Those are the ones. Enough items in DA they could use (did the bad luck charm EVER had any use in the entire game?).

And yeah, I wasn't talking about paying for it either...

Still, it does in someway do that too. Although not for another genre (Dead Space) but you got to get the other games in the series, unless you cheat. :)

paying is kinda the point though, no? either a up-front fee for some kinda bonus swag, or buy another game to gets your activation code... or whatever.

am trying to imagine how to sell the pantaloons as a cross-promotion to potential customers.

salesman: if you buy game W, you will be able to find some pantaloons in game X.

customer: what do the pantaloons do?

salesman: nothing. but if game X sells well enough and they make a sequel, then you will be able to find an additional pair of pantaloons in game Y.

customer: so, the pantaloons in game Y, what do they do?

salesman: nothing. however, if three to five years from now a game Z is made, and you have collected three pairs of pantaloons, you may find a special bonus magic item.

customer: you're drunk.

and as for a the pantaloons working as impetus to get a person to buy a sequel...

*shrug*

am thinking the point o' these kinda promotions is eluding folks.

HA! Good Fun!