What are you playing now

Pidesco

Just finished Call of Duty World at War. I think it's the worst of the series and since I played 'em chronological order, the contrast between fun and interesting Modern Warfare and boring WW2 was huge. Jack Bauer bearking orders in pacific campaign game was bizarre. I can usually ignore actors previous roles but this time no such luck :sorcerer:

Opposite for me. Treyarch's recent CoD games are better than Infinity Ward's recent CoD games IMHO. For one, I'm more interested in historical shooters than Tom Clancy style 'what if' modern shooters. It was great to see not only a GOOD game based on the Pacific theater but also a more brutal look at the Eastern Front.

I'm playing Resident Evil 4 now.

First time? Are you liking it? Hope you aren't playing the PC port. If you are make sure to look for the mod that gives you proper keyboard prompts during the quicktime events. That nearly killed the game for me first time playing. Also a mod that allows you to mouse aim, but I ended up getting good/used to aiming with the keyboard. I absolutely loved this game despite the hurdles of a horrible port job.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Felt like something a little slower-paced than usual, so I spent a while playing the Monkey Island 2 remake last night.

I've also got my second F:NV character going, and I've been meaning to dive back into Civ5 to see how it plays after the recent mega-patch.

alpha protocol.

this game is actually pretty damn good, its not great, but I am really surprised at the reviews it got. it also seems to be almost completely bug free, has it been patched up a lot or something?

im not finished yet (about 2/3 through it), but right now i'd give it an 8 or so

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I played a game of Sid Meier's Pirates last night. Why can't every classic be remade like this? It is simply fantastic.

Helps when the original maker has some input, I guess. Then again, I'm unsure of how much Meier actually DOES. I should give that game a try, I've had enough of FIFA 11's bull**** at the moment (yeah Peter Crouch can outrun Theo Walcott, uh uh).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing Dragon Age with all the expansions from the beginning.

Also started Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Monty, for some reason I always thought CoH was like CoD. How wrong I was when I was told that it was the only properly done WW-based RTS.

Must pick it up somewhere sometime. But which one?

@ Tig, there is a bit of a dilemma for you here.

First, you could always download CoH Online (CoHO) which is free. Or, you can pick up the original game (i.e. CoH, Tales of Valor, Opposing Fronts) for pennies on Steam. The originals have more content and factions although the single player American campaign is also free with CoHO.

CoHO is very competitive and uses a micro-transactional model (at the moment I'm dropping about 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

My personal theory / view is that CoHO is a feeder marketing tool to (a) squeeze a few more bucks out of the franchise (nothing wrong with that) but also, more importantly (b) herald the release of CoH 2 (there has to be one) which will be the most awesome game of all time ever.

Sorry Homeworld 3 before CoH 2.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Never played Homeworld. Is it one of those sci-fi empire builders that require you to open an Excel spreadsheet to track your in-game decisions?

In any case, Relic haven't even hinted about CoH2, I'm not expecting anything this side of 2013 at the earliest.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Pah, DoW III before Homeworld 3. Have they ever said they'd return to HW ?

Right now playing AlternativA, seems a lot like Westwood's Blade Runner. I'm pleased with it so far, but apparently from reviews it's buggy crap. :)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Never played Homeworld. Is it one of those sci-fi empire builders that require you to open an Excel spreadsheet to track your in-game decisions?

not at all.

you essentially control a single fleet of ships for the entire game. I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling it, but suffice to say its one of the best pc games ever made.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Monty, for some reason I always thought CoH was like CoD. How wrong I was when I was told that it was the only properly done WW-based RTS.

The original close combat games are exceptional WW2 RTS games too. I love A Bridge Too Far!

The original close combat games are exceptional WW2 RTS games too. I love A Bridge Too Far!

I love them, own them all. The Russian Front one is the best IMO, and the most heavily modded.

They are dated now, but for a squad-level tactical combat sim the series remains awesome.

sonsofgygax.JPG

What really impressed me is how appropriate things like suppression and morale were modeled in those games. I liked the Russian Front a lot too. It's only failing is that the campaign wasn't as interesting as A Bridge Too Far's (which is a super intense MP experience).

They did have a ton of mechanics improvements. I played Battle of the Bulge too, but it didn't quite enamor me like the 2nd and 3rd.

I liked the strategic overlay in Bulge, where you could move battlegroups inbetween missions, but yeah it wasn't as cool as the others. Did you play the D-Day one, BTW?

In case you're interested, Matrix Games have re-engineered versions of all these titles.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Have they ever said they'd return to HW ?

They said they wanted to, but they didn't have the rights to the property until last year.

Also, right now they're working on another DoW expansion (Retribution I do believe).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.