What are you playing now

Pidesco

Side note: bad company 2 campaign is absolutely better than CoD world at war, but is probably not quite as good as CoD: MW or MW 2.

That's odd seeing as WaW was better than MW1 and MW2. :p

i couldnt get over the fact that the levels in WaW were so claustrophobically linear that it was essentially the disney jungle river ride with a lightgun game attached to it.

i don't think I played it past the second or 3rd level though, so maybe I judged it unfairly?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Last night I got the urge to play Starcraft 2. It had been a couple months since I had loaded it up, and I wanted to continue with the single player campaign.

Instead I watched it patch for about an hour and a half, and at that point my gaming window was closed. Dumb autopatchers, I wasn't even playing it online. At least give me a choice!

So this morning I played Stronghold 2 for a bit. Castle building fun.

Good, keep going. Any impressions so far?

The combat is getting slightly boring but other than that i'm enjoying it.

Yeah that's not really going to change, you can try different card combinations to spice it up or just listen to some music/podcast/audiobook while doing really long dungeon areas.

I'm thinking of trying to finish septerra core again, when i was 15 i got about 2/3 of the way done before crapping out, my plan this time is to watch movies while playing to help deal with the tedium of the dungeon crawling.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I've been playing Just Cause 2. That's one horrible GTA clone, with some utterly unplayable vehicles. Maybe those are meant to be played with analogue stick, because even the slighest tap on keyboard will stear vehicles out of control (if you have bit of speed). Actually it was great that I tried this game, made me appreciate Rockstar and GTA games even more.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

yeah, my experience with just cause 2 was roughly as follows:

jumping out of planes is fun for about an hour. attaching motorcycles to trucks was fun for about 30 minutes. blowing stuff up was fun for about 30 minutes. play another game.

Weird, I had a blast with Just Cause 2, and I stayed away from the story line pretty much the whole time. I just blew stuff up, had fun grapple hooking stuff to other stuff, and rode around on top of jets. Pure fun.

I can't imagine playing it without a controller though.

I'm thinking of trying to finish septerra core again, when i was 15 i got about 2/3 of the way done before crapping out, my plan this time is to watch movies while playing to help deal with the tedium of the dungeon crawling.

Whatever helps :p

From what I remember, there's no drop in quality or rushing near the end-y bits and you get a nice ending out of it.

i guess just running around an open world causing mischief is not enough for me to really like a game. If the story, characters, or setting don't hook me then i get bored very quickly, and that was what happened with just cause 2.

i liked red faction guerrilla, infamous, and red dead redemption, and did not like just cause 2, despite it having the largest "playground"

Just Cause 2 is definitely a short increment game, I liked that I could jump on for 30 minutes, putz around, then turn it off. I actually felt rockstar lost that a bit with RDR and GTA4. They were more story intensive, and that meant more time intensive. I get what you are saying though, I just like to have a game like that around for a quick spin.

Saint's Row 2 does that even better, for my money, and it has a fairly good story.

Also, not many people realize this, but Just Cause 2 has some really beautiful graphics, on the PC at least.

Instead of blowing things up left and right, take a moment to enjoy a sunset on top of the highest mountain...

justcause_1.jpg

just-cause-2pic2.jpg

justcause5.jpg

Edited by Purkake

The recent announcement of the Tomb Raider reboot got me interested in replaying the classic games. I started with Tomb Raider Anniversary (why play TR1 when Anniversary IS TR1 + better graphics & story?) then played the gold levels for TR1 (Unfinished Business & Shadow of the Cat). Finally finished Tomb Raider 2 + Golden Mask levels today and I'm starting on Tomb Raider 3. Its neat to see how the games advanced in graphics each year. I never did play TR Chronicles or TR Angel of Darkness. I'm fairly interested in playing Chronicles for the first time but I'm not so excited about Angel of Darkness. From what I've heard playing through it is going to be like playing through Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

I haven't played many of these games in at least a decade and they hold up pretty well today. Either that or the nostalgia factor kicked in as I beat these games many times back in the day.

I started with Tomb Raider Anniversary (why play TR1 when Anniversary IS TR1 + better graphics & story?)

I still prefer the original TR1 over Anniversary. While Anniversary is loads better than Legend, it still feels like a cut version of TR1. Fewer levels and some of them were kinda sad when compaired to the original. Especially Tomb of Tihocan, which is one my favourites. And I think the original has better atmosphere, but the short draw distance might have something to do with that :p

Got hooked on Minecraft again. Damn ground is full of caverns, and the caverns are full of violent bastards! I just wanted to dig a mine all the way to the bottom, but noooooo. Well, if the buggers want a war, war they get!

Replaying Mass Effect 1. Female, renegade. technician class. The music is really awesome. Easily the best thing about the game.

I really dug the music too, vastly preferred ME1 music over ME2 music (even though the Sonic Mayhem music in Kasumi was about as good as ME1 stuff). I think they went too orchestral with ME2, I liked the synthier stuff in ME1, as I felt it fit the retro space opera vision better (though personal music preferences are obviously involved, being a pretty major EBM/Futurepop buff).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The music is mediocre. Easily the best thing about the game.

Fixed that for ya. :shifty:

...no but seriously, the music didn't really impress me. Not impressing me in ME2 either.

Maybe that's because I'm playing with my 5.1 headset. :shifty: No, really, music is suberb!

Edited by Bendu

Maybe that's because I'm playing with my 5.1 headset. :shifty: No, really, music is suberb!

It's probably even better with a Pioneer SC-lX72, 2x Tannoy Mercury Fusion 2s, 3x Tannoy Mercury Fusion 1s and a SVS PC-13. :shifty:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I still prefer the original TR1 over Anniversary. While Anniversary is loads better than Legend, it still feels like a cut version of TR1. Fewer levels and some of them were kinda sad when compaired to the original. Especially Tomb of Tihocan, which is one my favourites. And I think the original has better atmosphere, but the short draw distance might have something to do with that :shifty:

Original had 15 levels, Anniversary 14 but thats because the Greek level Cistern from TR1 was combined with Midas' Palace/Tomb of Tihocan. My only real beef with Anniversary, besides some awkward control issues, was that I would have liked to have seen the gold levels in Anniversary.