RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

I think that's the guy who created the gif I sourced for this avatar.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Oh I love it when you guys talk tech, its inbetween ignorance, and knowledge... Cracks me up every time.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Going back to Gabe Newell's points, it's high time to get into the gameplay-focused budget DD-only games. The graphics aren't really a problem any more, you can make good looking, but not graphics-dependent games with decent art direction(and no, it doesn't have to be kiddy/cartoony).

The AAA market is giant money hole that shreds all but the very best marketed/polished games.

EDIT: I guess the problem is the lack of mid-level publishers and a general lack of capital :p

Edited by Purkake

Going back to Gabe Newell's points, it's high time to get into the gameplay-focused budget DD-only games. The graphics aren't really a problem any more, you can make good looking, but not graphics-dependent games with decent art direction(and no, it doesn't have to be kiddy/cartoony).

The AAA market is giant money hole that shreds all but the very best marketed/polished games.

EDIT: I guess the problem is the lack of mid-level publishers and a general lack of capital :p

I would more assume the problem is the severe market competition and shallow nature of the general audience. Lower budget games don't seem to have proportional return.

Unless you're at Popcap, that is.

Edited by Tale

There was just an article about how Steam saved Introversion's bacon. Making a profit isn't a problem, but the gains are proportionally too small to interest the giant publishers(I guess that's what you said). Plus you have more of an old style slow trickle of sales(especially with DD) than the front-loaded everyone-buys-it-in-the-first-month deal. Not really a problem for DD, but retailers have to clear stock and shelves to make room for new stuff.

The point is that it is a viable business strategy, but not for the kinds of teams most companies have at the moment.

Edited by Purkake

Heard about that recently. It's the main thing in my mind when I made my statement.

Final fantasy XIV launch trailer

Pointless, but some eye candy never hurt anyone.

Though I do like the bickering between the elf and the catgirl.

Edited by Oner

eye candy

Scantily clad Mithra? I guess I have to watch it!

What... don't judge me.

I tried out the FFXIV beta and it was pretty crap. There are a number of good ideas in there and the game is pretty to look at but it's one of clunkiest game I've played in a really long time. It's horrendously slow whenever you bring up the menus, and it's so incredibly unintuitive to navigate them. And this is coming from someone who played FFXI a lot (which didn't exactly excel in this area).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I tried out the FFXIV beta and it was pretty crap. There are a number of good ideas in there and the game is pretty to look at but it's one of clunkiest game I've played in a really long time. It's horrendously slow whenever you bring up the menus, and it's so incredibly unintuitive to navigate them. And this is coming from someone who played FFXI a lot (which didn't exactly excel in this area).

I've been hearing from beta participants that it controls a lot like FFXI; that's not good. This alone killed my interest.

it's basically FFXI with better graphics and a new leveling system. I struggled with the beta for 2 days, then promptly deleted it after. it's very badly done, has numerous bugs still, and isn't optimized. they should've spent all of this time and resources on improving FFXI's gameplay and UI, maybe even upgrading the graphics there. instead of building another game, which is essentially the same.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

This press conference was disappoint.

No Syndicate FPS.

Capcom press conference coming sometime soon, hope there's RE6.

Fixed it.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Rumors confirmed : a Devil May Cry reboot by Ninja Theory.

Aside from the monsters design and the fact that the protagonist uses two gun I don't really understand the connection to the franchise.

EDIT : And trailer!. Apparently the guy there is Dante. And I am Napoleon, OF COURSE!

Edited by WorstUsernameEver