StarCraft 2

Serrano

Aren't they preventing people from playing it before midnight?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Bit pre-mature really... The thread that is.

No, I'm not all that excited about SC2, I may be later, but not today, or tomorrow.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Am I the only guy who loves RTS games, but hates playing them multiplayer? I even like Skirmish, but hate people.

Which is sad because I helped develop an RTS. I was actually considered good at it, despite the fact that the balance team could tear me a new hole.

Edited by Tale

Am I the only guy who loves RTS games, but hates playing them multiplayer? I even like Skirmish, but hate people.

Which is sad because I helped develop an RTS. I was actually considered good at it, despite the fact that the balance team could tear me a new hole.

I hear you brother. I'm not twitchy, smart or competitive enough for MP RTS versus humans. I love Company of Heroes, I've got a friends list as long as your arm for skirmish V CPU. But people? I get my arse kicked every time.

So, yeah, the SP vanilla campaign for a RTS is crucial for me. Games like CoH deliver on that front, I've played the core allied campaigns two or three times and not got bored of them and love online but, as I say, not against the waves of pro / smurf ninjas.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not the premature argument ag- oh. Er, no some people had been playing the game since before I created this thread.

I'm not fond of games like Warcraft, Starcraft or C&C as multiplayer games either. Dawn of War on the other hand is one of my favourite online games of all time, which is odd as it's pretty similar to the other three. Perhaps I do like it because it was easier *shrug*.

Edited by Serrano

I hear you brother. I'm not twitchy, smart or competitive enough for MP RTS versus humans. I love Company of Heroes, I've got a friends list as long as your arm for skirmish V CPU. But people? I get my arse kicked every time.

So, yeah, the SP vanilla campaign for a RTS is crucial for me. Games like CoH deliver on that front, I've played the core allied campaigns two or three times and not got bored of them and love online but, as I say, not against the waves of pro / smurf ninjas.

I'm twitchy and smart enough. I'm just not competitive. I HATE having to play seriously. The more players I can hide behind to **** around while still kicking butt, the better. I can take breathers every now and then instead of win/loss being entirely on me. Too stressful.

Monte did you ever play a game called Blitzkrieg 2? Sounds like you might enjoy it, it had three good single player campaigns. It's similar to DoW and CoH in some ways, but in others it's more like a WW2 era Total War game (battlefield-segment only). Between missions you can level up certain types of units depend on how well they'd done in the previous mission to grant them added bonuses, so if your light tanks killed most of the enemy for example then they'd get the lion's share of xp. You also got to chose your missions to a certain degree, it worked a bit like a hub system on the region map where you had a few core missions you had to do, but could pick the order, and in addition there were side missions that you could do to unlock units and the like.

Anyway there's a demo on gamers hell;

http://www.gamershell.com/download_10561.shtml

And an incredably underwhelming trailer on youtube.com;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WutVXfyD_NQ

I was too much of an Age of Empires style man, didn't really like SC or WC much. Additionally, I still don't know how people rave on about SC's storyline - it was generic crap, just delivered slickly, just like Diablo's. Storyline is certainly not why I'd play of any of Blizz games.

That said, SC2's certainly looked interesting, so I'm torn...

I suck at RTS games, computers or humans. So it's a no-go for me.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I was too much of an Age of Empires style man.. [...]

Yeah, AoE (and LotR2) were what pulled me into strategy genre. Then I burnt out on the gather/construct/conflict pattern. I find such more interesting in a board game face-to-face than pcgaming/online I guess.

@Tale - I'm the same way...not competitive enough. And for me, even when I play Skirmish it's not the winning at speed that entertains me...it's actually the prolonging of watching the AI opponent make a fool of itself. Cracks me up. I blame Dungeon Keeper for showing me how silly-fun that could be.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was too much of an Age of Empires style man, didn't really like SC or WC much. Additionally, I still don't know how people rave on about SC's storyline - it was generic crap, just delivered slickly, just like Diablo's. Storyline is certainly not why I'd play of any of Blizz games.

That

Additionally, I still don't know how people rave on about SC's storyline - it was generic crap, just delivered slickly, just like Diablo's. Storyline is certainly not why I'd play of any of Blizz games.

Most stories can probably be classified as "generic" in some capacity. So much so I feel the word "generic" is overused and has become virtually meaningless.

A "generic" story that is well written and can evoke an emotional attachment to the characters is still an excellent story.

Generic is overused, but that doesn't mean there aren't stories which are generic to their detriment. I felt that the slick, polished, well produced delivery of the story only served to highlight how devoid of life the narrative was. Personal call, of course.

Storyline is certainly not why I'd play of any of Blizz games.

If Grom's death didn't move you, then you have no soul. Maybe it was moving because it was slick. But that does not make it any less moving. And Arthas' ascent to the Lich King. Oh, you jackass Prince, you are a terrible person, but I can't help but pity...

Blizzard RTS: tabclicktabclicktabclicktabclicktabclick

For my RTS needs, I think I'll stick to SoaSE. Micro sucks.

I'll buy SCII if (and only if) the modding community is active enough to make it worthwhile in bnet. If it just ends up being DotA 2.0, I'll pass.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Question: at anytime was this game going to be sold for $20?

I think so, when they originally announced that it would be three games and not one I believe that they said that the three games would be cheaper.

:ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot