StarCraft 2

Serrano

Don't worry (too much :x) T. As you get into deeper trouble, the missions start to take longer. However, If you have a good upgrade / research combo to bolster your turtling (and no one can turtle like terran) the pure terran missions will not be too hard. Except some rush / time race ones.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

A couple things.

One is that I think the difficulty curve is low because in theory you can get the missions in about any order from the "hub" style. This is why in an RTS it's usually better to have the missions be linear, even if it's to a minor degree (have several story missions spread along the mission path to act as bottlenecks so that the story and difficulty can keep track of where you are). I don't think I'm supposed to be using Thor's before I get one of my lower tech air support units.

Also, I felt that the difficulty on the very last mission all of a sudden jumped seven points because of how it works out. I won't spoil it.

Ultimately I think they might have had to much variety in their missions. You don't need a new gimmick for each of the missions that you end up handing out. I mean there were more missions that had a forced gameplay style (where you have to use a certain offensive style) than those where you're in a slug match. I mean I can understand the need to vary gameplay but I don't want to have to save sam and frodo every time I start a mission. I mean 1/5th the missions are ones where you don't get much in the way of minerals and gas so you just have to scavenge it from the terrain.

As to the mercs thing, I can understand why they wouldn't let you pull em out right off the bat. They just rock everyone that comes near them in the same tech area.

Ship needed to be beefed up with either more little side things, or slimmed down so you didn't have to load any time you wanted to upgrade your machines or add new research. Also more characters of consequence would have been nice. It felt like they were trying to add in more characters, but ran out of time and money so they had to get rid of em. There's a scene near the end where Jim ends up looking like a badass and his crew says "Thats the commander I've been looking for". But we've never been introduced to these guys, we only really know Swan, Egon, Tychus, and Horner from our ship, and yet we're supposed to act like these extra characters are someone to care about. And like Tav said, there are a couple of characters that show up in the campaign who remove themselves (or are removed) fairly swiftly, basically they're a bit of a "Look who you have in your party" tease.

And finally, SC2 is set up so that before the final acts there are several storylines going on. The propaganda war/rebellion, saving some colonists, helping out an enemy of Mengsk by playing pirate, and then hunting down artifacts for money. Problem is that they aren't well marked and the story segregates them from each other. So one minute you could be trying to sneak away with damaging sound bytes, the next you could be pulling colonists out of the fire and the characters on your ship say NOTHING about the other mission beyond your current story. So if you're playing this over a long period you would have 0 clue wtf was going on because there are so many plot lines that it'd become a tangled mess. It also doesn't help that two of the plot lines feel like they don't even tie into the story, but instead just are there to round out your missions so you have unit unlocks.

And finally, why do I feel like I fought more Terrans than Zerg or Protoss in that game? Seriously one entire story is fighting terrans, and then in two of the others there are points where you have to fight a Terran military contingent. I'm playing as Terrans, and the story is about the Zerg. Why am I fighting more Terran bases and commands than I do fighting Zerg? Also, why did you shoehorn in Protoss as an opposing faction? I could understand that earlier mission where it's a race for the artifact but I don't think that you could get away with massacring an entire protoss clan and still be called "Friend Raynor"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Also, this should probably be mentioned.

Starcraft 2 Known Issues

More specifically, this part right here:

Certain screens make your hardware work pretty hard

Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines:

frameratecapglue=30

frameratecap=60

You may replace these numbers if you want to.

My GPU was running at 100% while sitting in the main menu and was heating up like crazy causing the fan to become obnoxiously loud in an attempt to keep the card cool. Frameratecapglue caps the frame rate in the menu.

Edited by Deraldin

Look at this thread.

Cross-region gameplay and communication is something we'd absolutely love to do, but the technology isn't quite there and our infrastructure is not set up to communicate that way. That kind of set up would require a huge undertaking and likely result in unacceptable latency in this day and age. That said, we look forward to the day when we can create an even more interconnected global community.

A couple things.

One is that I think the difficulty curve is low because in theory you can get the missions in about any order from the "hub" style. This is why in an RTS it's usually better to have the missions be linear, even if it's to a minor degree (have several story missions spread along the mission path to act as bottlenecks so that the story and difficulty can keep track of where you are). I don't think I'm supposed to be using Thor's before I get one of my lower tech air support units.

Also, I felt that the difficulty on the very last mission all of a sudden jumped seven points because of how it works out. I won't spoil it.

Ultimately I think they might have had to much variety in their missions. You don't need a new gimmick for each of the missions that you end up handing out. I mean there were more missions that had a forced gameplay style (where you have to use a certain offensive style) than those where you're in a slug match. I mean I can understand the need to vary gameplay but I don't want to have to save sam and frodo every time I start a mission. I mean 1/5th the missions are ones where you don't get much in the way of minerals and gas so you just have to scavenge it from the terrain.

As to the mercs thing, I can understand why they wouldn't let you pull em out right off the bat. They just rock everyone that comes near them in the same tech area.

Ship needed to be beefed up with either more little side things, or slimmed down so you didn't have to load any time you wanted to upgrade your machines or add new research. Also more characters of consequence would have been nice. It felt like they were trying to add in more characters, but ran out of time and money so they had to get rid of em. There's a scene near the end where Jim ends up looking like a badass and his crew says "Thats the commander I've been looking for". But we've never been introduced to these guys, we only really know Swan, Egon, Tychus, and Horner from our ship, and yet we're supposed to act like these extra characters are someone to care about. And like Tav said, there are a couple of characters that show up in the campaign who remove themselves (or are removed) fairly swiftly, basically they're a bit of a "Look who you have in your party" tease.

And finally, SC2 is set up so that before the final acts there are several storylines going on. The propaganda war/rebellion, saving some colonists, helping out an enemy of Mengsk by playing pirate, and then hunting down artifacts for money. Problem is that they aren't well marked and the story segregates them from each other. So one minute you could be trying to sneak away with damaging sound bytes, the next you could be pulling colonists out of the fire and the characters on your ship say NOTHING about the other mission beyond your current story. So if you're playing this over a long period you would have 0 clue wtf was going on because there are so many plot lines that it'd become a tangled mess. It also doesn't help that two of the plot lines feel like they don't even tie into the story, but instead just are there to round out your missions so you have unit unlocks.

And finally, why do I feel like I fought more Terrans than Zerg or Protoss in that game? Seriously one entire story is fighting terrans, and then in two of the others there are points where you have to fight a Terran military contingent. I'm playing as Terrans, and the story is about the Zerg. Why am I fighting more Terran bases and commands than I do fighting Zerg? Also, why did you shoehorn in Protoss as an opposing faction? I could understand that earlier mission where it's a race for the artifact but I don't think that you could get away with massacring an entire protoss clan and still be called "Friend Raynor"

I played through the campaign and those are pretty much my feelings exactly. The main story was good but the side missions diluted the overall tightness. I agree it should have been more linear. The gameplay was great.

I played it just for the story so i didn't pay much attention to difficulty and just the story. I like the ending as well but i do wonder how the next campaign will play.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I played it just for the story so i didn't pay much attention to difficulty and just the story. I like the ending as well but i do wonder how the next campaign will play.

The next campaign is the Zerg. Since Kerrigan is the Chosen One and her infestation didn't seem 100% cleared, she'll come to a realization that for all humanity she must let herself become the Queen of Blades again, fighting against the Xel'Naga over control of the Zerg forces. I expect Raynor trying to dissuade her and her own emotional turmoil at becoming infested once again.

Thats because the overall Meta-Story and the Mission story do NOT mesh.

The game ( the missions ) are about collecting ancient protoss artifacts (that are bloody friggin obvious to psi detection it seems) that were somehow not found / detected / remembered / used during the first war... and it gets really threadbare as the thing acts as the Xel Naga temple from toss campaign, cleansing the whole world. And you need to rescue them from a "Renegade" (???! another whiskey tango foxtrot moment) Protoss clan.

Did I forget the part about the overall story being the new Zerg offensive, which you don't do anything (substantial) about

Now I am supposedly playing as Rainors Idiots... sorry Raiders and I was expecting to battle other Terrans (Dominion) and Zerg. Instead most of the game is (or more correctly, feels to be) about beating up Protoss.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Thats because the overall Meta-Story and the Mission story do NOT mesh.

The game ( the missions ) are about collecting ancient protoss artifacts (that are bloody friggin obvious to psi detection it seems) that were somehow not found / detected / remembered / used during the first war... and it gets really threadbare as the thing acts as the Xel Naga temple from toss campaign, cleansing the whole world. And you need to rescue them from a "Renegade" (???! another whiskey tango foxtrot moment) Protoss clan.

Did I forget the part about the overall story being the new Zerg offensive, which you don't do anything (substantial) about

Now I am supposedly playing as Rainors Idiots... sorry Raiders and I was expecting to battle other Terrans (Dominion) and Zerg. Instead most of the game is (or more correctly, feels to be) about beating up Protoss.

I think it really depends on how you play for who you feel like you're beating up the most. I felt like I was taking on the Dominion the most, but then I did the propoganda stuff last.

So basically I think we can all agree that the biggest problem with SC2 is that it's not linear.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The next campaign is the Zerg. Since Kerrigan is the Chosen One and her infestation didn't seem 100% cleared, she'll come to a realization that for all humanity she must let herself become the Queen of Blades again, fighting against the Xel'Naga over control of the Zerg forces. I expect Raynor trying to dissuade her and her own emotional turmoil at becoming infested once again.

Well the thing is she could controls Zerg to a certain degree even before she was infested. and as for infestation status, just the weird hair things don't mean anything. They could've thought that bald naked chicks aren't hot and decided to leave that there.

So a longshot theory is that the Zerg will actually be force of good this timeand she doesn't even haev to be infested to control them, especially with all the research that the Lab on Hyperion made on zerg control. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I don't like how everyone is Gears of Wars massive but other than that the game has been great so far.

No, I don't think you get it. Giant space marines is Starcraft's thing (or WH40K, w/e). Everyone in Gears of War is Starcraft massive.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't like how everyone is Gears of Wars massive but other than that the game has been great so far.

I've been thinking the same thing. :)

Been playing on Normal so far and I'm considering continuing on Hard because it's really too easy. And I'm definitely not an RTS veteran.

Just watched the first mission being played on youtube... what the hell? I mean, I'm sure I've forgotten lots, but in my head Starcraft was about 3 weird races blasting each other in space, first and foremost. Here you're on Earth (or some Earthanoid planet) and it's basically Call of Duty. Cheesy viva la resistance, Amerikan Badasses! for the entirety of... the miniscule ~5 minute mission.

I always hated the missions in RTSes where you get about 5 puny units and one hero, because it's basically a tactical RPG but ten times less tactical and more boring. So that might be it... I assume the first mission was simple like that to be a tutorial.

Just watched the first mission being played on youtube... what the hell? I mean, I'm sure I've forgotten lots, but in my head Starcraft was about 3 weird races blasting each other in space, first and foremost. Here you're on Earth (or some Earthanoid planet) and it's basically Call of Duty. Cheesy viva la resistance, Amerikan Badasses! for the entirety of... the miniscule ~5 minute mission.

I always hated the missions in RTSes where you get about 5 puny units and one hero, because it's basically a tactical RPG but ten times less tactical and more boring. So that might be it... I assume the first mission was simple like that to be a tutorial.

You don't need to have eny of those worries, later in the game you will definitely get your share of space cheesiness.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"