StarCraft 2

Serrano

The only thing that I don't like thus far in the game is the commentary on current networks. The UNN is a very obvious parody of Fox News (including the line "fair and balanced), and they have SOME news story that is very obviously twisted to paint their bosses (Mengsk et al) as the good guys.

Okay, you don't like it... But why?

Because it's out of place. Jokes and such are all well and good but when you make snide political commentary on the current situation of the news media it just gets pretentious. Also, in game, Mengsk is supposed to have a great grasp of publicity and the power of the media, but the "Cover ups" are done so obviously I think that the population that watches have to be drugged not to see it.

I don't find it pretentious, I find it to be satirical.

That appears to be the whole point.

If they hadn't made it so direct who they were playing at, I'd be more ok with it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The only thing that I don't like thus far in the game is the commentary on current networks. The UNN is a very obvious parody of Fox News (including the line "fair and balanced), and they have SOME news story that is very obviously twisted to paint their bosses (Mengsk et al) as the good guys.

Okay, you don't like it... But why?

Because it's out of place. Jokes and such are all well and good but when you make snide political commentary on the current situation of the news media it just gets pretentious. Also, in game, Mengsk is supposed to have a great grasp of publicity and the power of the media, but the "Cover ups" are done so obviously I think that the population that watches have to be drugged not to see it.

I thought that the entire Space Rednecks thing in SC1 was out of place.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't mind the satirical part of the newscast but it's just not funny at all. I like the humor in the game otherwise but they really overshot it with the news segments I think. Even though it's Starcraft, it could've used a bit more subtlety in the news reports.

Enjoying the campaign so far though. They've done an excellent job so far of creating varied missions, a fun to follow storyline and excellent visuals (which doesn't rely on the technical side so much it causes my computer to melt).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Well I'm hearing that missions provide interesting varied gameplay - and I don't know, there's just this amazing weight on my head saying GET IT, telling me I should be excited and I wont' regret it. It's odd, ddoesn't usually happen to me.

We'll see...

*grumbles something about a mission where he constantly moves his base to get away from a wall of fire*

Oh. Well, I thought it was pretty good, but nothing special. It didn't 'click'. Maybe I'll wait for lowered prices then... though with this game, fat chance of THAT happening.

Oh. Well, I thought it was pretty good, but nothing special. It didn't 'click'. Maybe I'll wait for lowered prices then... though with this game, fat chance of THAT happening.

It'll drop when the Toss or Zerg part comes out

yeah, if you didn't like starcraft 1 you wont like starcraft 2.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

*grumbles something about a mission where he constantly moves his base to get away from a wall of fire*

Hah! I liked that one. How about the last Protoss mission? What was your high score on that one?

Hah! I liked that one. How about the last Protoss mission? What was your high score on that one?

1962 I think... woulda gotten higher but I didn't build the full 200/200 pylons in the back of my base

1962 I think... woulda gotten higher but I didn't build the full 200/200 pylons in the back of my base

Heh, I managed 1966 myself. I uh... stopped producing units at one point and was just overwhelmed. :huh:

I think one of the most important questions you gotta ask yourself i: Did I enjoy Starcraft 1?

Because it is very similar at its core, just with... well, more units, more cutscenes, more stylized visuals.

I have to disagree a bit. Starcraft 1 didn't really appeal to me at all. I think it was more popular because of the MP than the single player. But so far, SC2 has been phenomenal as a single player game. It is just a very entertaining game in a lot of aspects.

Heh, I managed 1966 myself. I uh... stopped producing units at one point and was just overwhelmed. :huh:

I would have done better if I'd kept my pylons up.

DAMN YOU CLIFFHANGER!

Edited by Calax

Heh. I thought the singleplayer campaign was rather fun actually :huh: Some things are a bit silly and cheesy but I guess you can't get away from that.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Just finished the campaign and I would like to share my gripes.

First, let me get this out of the way: The game is insanely polished, it's attention to detail is extreme, gameplay is incredible, the missions are extremely varied and enjoyable.

The problems I had with the SP were a bit weird. The storyline gets hamhanded now and then and creats a lot of "Oh come on!" moments. I know this is probably the result of compressing 3 overall and 4 or 5 minor story threads into 25+1 secret missions but this does lead to some jarring moments

Spoiler:

You spend 3 or 4 missions gathering stuff for the rogue specter operative and then you learn that he is supposed to be a "not good guy" from another ghost. Who works for Dominion/Mengsk. And you only spend like 3 minutes of conversation with her. Doing the right thing is a very abrupt heel face turn. Similar problems with the Haven storyline due to abrupt and sudden end.

Zeratul and his storyline and missions also felt forced. A lot. The missions were fine but the plot explosion+ plot explosion+ plot explosion+... railroad of cutscenes were not.

The starmap was another problem for me. To be precise, the lack of one. I know it is not a big problem but I would have liked to see a sector map with the trouble spots similar to Mass Effect rather than 3 planet icons that is in the game.

*Where the frack did that scientist character come from btw? annoying brat.

Other people also remarked this, Mengsk is supposed to be a Propagande genius. The TV (UNN) was fun at first but grow stale due to overuse as Jimmy plowed ahead through the story.

Similarly the "Ship" idea was fun but under utilised. It was just like switching through sub menus. The ship needed something other than cutscenes to spice up the between mission moments. Also I would have liked to see the Mercs I hired in the ship :x

Speaking of mercs, I wonder whose idea it was to put a bloody 5 minute cooldown timer on the first batch. I usually needed them at the very beginning of the mission as ace cards, not later as extra dps.

Lastly the game felt too short. I know this probably sounds stupid at first glance but the lack of "random" missions (that are completely unrelated to the main story, like having to stop for a bit in a remote system due to mechanichal problems or detecting something weird) and the small number of missions for each story arc gave me this feeling. Then again one can also argue that the feeling of "I want more" shows this is a very good game.

Don't misunderstand me, It is a very good game and a truly epic story. Just suffering from story telling problems.

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

It took me around 20 hours I guess. 26 missions shouldn't feel short but it somehow does. As I tried to explain, the little story arcs ended too abruptly and you didn't have any fallout from them, that was the base of the feeling not the actual lenght.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

The biggest problem for me so far (13 missions done, haven't met Zeratul yet wtf?) is that most missions are just too easy. I've been playing on hard, didn't want to select brutal because it looked like too much for me to take. Well, apparently not I guess?

I'd say I spent about 10 to 12 hours on the game so far. I do feel like it's ending too fast. I'm already halfway through the campaign and I started yesterday, not at all like Starcraft (or even Warcraft III) which had the same number of missions and yet I spent weeks on it's campaign (and Brood War) on my first play through.

I'm disappointed with the length of the missions too, the problem isn't just that they're too easy, they're also too short. Starcraft had some extremely long missions. Not once in SC2 have I come across a mission as long and awesome as "The Hammer Falls" (final mission of the SC1 terran campaign) or "Full Circle" (final mission of the SC1 zerg campaign) or "Eye of the Storm" (final mission in SC). Not to mention Brood War's missions were even longer and harder than those of SC1.

I have to mention all missions have been very entertaining and absolutely fun. A blast to play through. All I want right now is to start a mission and think "oh god this is gonna be TOUGH", and I'm hoping the last half of the campaign will deliver that feeling again.

Edited by taviow