Music

Walsingham

How would you keep score?

Also, if it was hooked up you might tempt friends into playing on it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

For something slightly different...

I "watched" Doctor Who at the Proms.

There's some very nice orcehstral music they've done over the last few years... and seeing the full orchestra playing it in the Albert Hall with lights flashing around is kind of funky...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater.

Mediocre prog metal band loses overrated drummer. Really, I don't get why everyone is up in arms about this.

I saw DT open live for Iron Maiden a few months ago, and they're really not that good.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Mediocre prog metal band loses overrated drummer.

Oh come on, that's just bull****. As much as they sucked in the last 5 years or so, they are basically the band responsible for Progressive Metal to have expanded in the first place. Clearly you're searching for something else in music, and I can understand that, but try not to forget the fact that they've had a huge influence.

Plus, in my opinion, Image & Words and Awake are some pretty freaking good albums.

I agree on Mike Portnoy being overrated though.

Mediocre prog metal band loses overrated drummer.

Oh come on, that's just bull****. As much as they sucked in the last 5 years or so, they are basically the band responsible for Progressive Metal to have expanded in the first place. Clearly you're searching for something else in music, and I can understand that, but try not to forget the fact that they've had a huge influence.

Plus, in my opinion, Image & Words and Awake are some pretty freaking good albums.

I agree on Mike Portnoy being overrated though.

Fates Warning pioneered progressive metal, not Dream Theater. Dream Theater commercialized it.

I do not deny that they've had a huge influence. That doesn't change the fact that they're a mediocre band.

They were a reasonably good (not great) band before Kevin Moore left. They've been pretty bad since.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Can somebody explain in simple English what progressive metal is? :banghead:

Listened to a few of the youtube vids and didn't see anything that Ronnie James Dio didn't do better in 1983

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Can somebody explain in simple English what progressive metal is? :p

Listened to a few of the youtube vids and didn't see anything that Ronnie James Dio didn't do better in 1983

Unfortunately the term has come to mean "watered-down power metal riffs with whiny vocals and lots of technical solos and drum fills," but originally it referred to heavy metal that incorporated compositional complexity of progressive rock (E.G. nonstandard song structures and complex time signatures).

The term is fairly ambiguous, though, and gets thrown around a lot more than it should. Also, because it refers to composition rather than style, it's not that useful in describing a band's music unless paired with some other subgenre, like progressive power metal or progressive thrash metal. Also, it is often used interchangeably with the term "technical," even though the two aren't necessarily synonymous.

Here are some prime examples of progressive metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkKmz9vtFY8

Thanks Oblarg :p

I suddenly feel like listening to some old Judas Priest again :p

I guess its about as pointless to nail down the exact details of what qualifies as what in music as it is in game genres... what makes an RPG =]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thanks Oblarg :p

I suddenly feel like listening to some old Judas Priest again :p

I guess its about as pointless to nail down the exact details of what qualifies as what in music as it is in game genres... what makes an RPG =]

If you want some pure ass-kicking JP-ish metal, you can't go wrong with

Fates Warning pioneered progressive metal, not Dream Theater. Dream Theater commercialized it.

I do not deny that they've had a huge influence. That doesn't change the fact that they're a mediocre band.

They were a reasonably good (not great) band before Kevin Moore left. They've been pretty bad since.

I'd say that if anything Fates Warning just picked up from where Queensryche left. And I disagree with your opinion on Dream Theater before Kevin Moore left but meh, that's just your opinion.

The fact is, probably a lot of people wouldn't even know about Fates Warning if it wasn't for Dream Theater.

The fact that they started sucking after Moore left has nothing to do with that.

I clicked on that link expecting to hear hardcore and got this horrible techno bull****. I demand an apology for this intentional mislead, and no, I refuse to accept that the term can apply to several different subgrenres of music.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'd say that if anything Fates Warning just picked up from where Queensryche left. And I disagree with your opinion on Dream Theater before Kevin Moore left but meh, that's just your opinion.

The fact is, probably a lot of people wouldn't even know about Fates Warning if it wasn't for Dream Theater.

The fact that they started sucking after Moore left has nothing to do with that.

Fates Warning put out The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian, both of which were at least as "progressive" than any of Dream Theater's early albums, in '85 and '86. That's pretty much pioneering the genre - Queensryche did put out The Warning back when Fates Warning also put out their debut, but neither of those albums did more than really touching on progressive influences, whereas Fates Warning's second and third albums really fully incorporated them, something 'Ryche didn't do until Rage for Order and Operation: Mindcrime. And hell, even Crimson Glory had their debut out in '86. The fact is, Fates' second and third albums really broke new ground - nothing sounded like them when they were released, yet several years later there were a number of bands pursuing a similar style. It's a common misconception that they only started making "progressive metal" with No Exit - rather, they only started dropping their USPM roots with No Exit (probably facilitated by the departure of Arch and Zimmerman), but their work really didn't get any more notably progressive.

What Dream Theater did was take that framework, tone down the riffs and place a ton more influence on synthesizers and technical segments. The result was a vastly more accessible form of music that also allowed people to say "Wow, those guys are good at playing their instruments!," which is why Dream Theater is so successful. Add to that the major decline in American heavy metal at the onset of the 90s (even Fates took a turn for prog rock with Parallels and Inside Out), and you can get an idea of why a lot of the mid to late 80's progressive metal is relatively unknown.

I recently got hooked on old school breakbeat hardcore. Damn you, English, why is it always YOU who comes up with awesomest new music styles:

Put people from all over the world in a wet, over-crowded island. Add the world's most globalized city. Then sprinkle an eccentric tradition of avant garde artistic endeavour over the top and give it a good stir.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't really understand what Crimson Glory have to do with progressive metal. :sorcerer:

Transcendence is in every way as progressive as When Dream and Day Unite.

Anyway,

is what you get when you put the best guitarist, bassist, and drummer of the past two decades together in one band. Edited by Oblarg

I could've sworn Crimson Glory was a Hammerfall album, but apparently not:

crimsongloryphoto.jpg

The ideal candidate for a "Heavy Metal... serious business" photoshop.

As stupid as they looked (but it's not like they were the only stupid looking band.. the 80s baby, the 80s!) they were a pretty awesome band. Poor Midnight. :(

EDIT : I can't really hear anything progressive at all in Transcendence.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver