2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

Thanks a lot, you bastards.

Note that England are playing in all red. Naively I believe this to be our best kit. Far better psychologically than white.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

there's not a huge jump between the 'home advantage' SK received in those two games and the biased refereeing that we see almost every week somewhere in Europe. :p
The biased ref'ing that people tear their shirts over almost every week somewhere in Europe, you mean. This was the same, but it attracted more attention because, well, it was a World Cup. The racism argument doesn't fly with me -- I think the outrage would have been similar regardless of who had been the host.

Eagerly awating the Portugal-Brazil.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Who do you want Spain to get in the second round?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm not one to throw down the ref victimization card, but the US has had two goals disallowed for phantom offside calls.

How hard is it to video review just the goals? It's not like there are that many.

Hey look at that, Donovan came through in the 91st minute. So looks like US and England advance.

I don't follow much futbol, but is it common to disallow goals?

I'd say disallowing goals for offsides is probably one of the most likely reasons for goals to be disallowed.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't follow much futbol, but is it common to disallow goals?

Yes, it is. America should be pleased with themselves, coming at the top of their group and winning favourable terms for Saturday.

The England hyperbole will go into overdrive after this modest win, honestly they still look mediocre. Germany will eat them for breakfast if they ever meet.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Who do you want Spain to get in the second round?
Second round? Hahaha, that's a good one! I'm looking forward to that game because it's the most interesting match-up so far, not because it'll decide who would be Spain's rival if we qualify.

Funny about the US team, too. Just a few days before the tournament started I was talking with a friend about how they looked like they could give a few surprises to the "favourites".

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The Yankees are missing a trick - if they put their backs into it they could have a world-class soccer team and rule the soccer universe. I think, culturally, though you will need dynamite to wean them off baseball and American football. Plus, a 'World Series' where the players only come from one nation is an understandably appealing sporting comfort blanket.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Yankees are missing a trick - if they put their backs into it they could have a world-class soccer team and rule the soccer universe. I think, culturally, though you will need dynamite to wean them off baseball and American football. Plus, a 'World Series' where the players only come from one nation is an understandably appealing sporting comfort blanket.

We like soccer, as an international competition at least. The World Cup matches have had good ratings considering the time of day they are on. What we really don't go for is professional league soccer like the MLS or any of it's predecessors. When team USA is playing though, it does get attention. If we get into the final round or even (gasp) the championsip match it will get ratings that will make any Super Bowl proud.

BTW, only around 65% of Major League Baseball players are from the USA. We get a lot of players from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia, South Africa, Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

England - Germany is always a good match, even for a disinterested old cynic like me.

I just think that the Germans in this case will wipe the floor with Ing-Er-Land. There is a wild card, though, nothing gets the plucky Dunkirk spirit up like a game against Der Fatherland.

sonsofgygax.JPG

We like soccer, as an international competition at least. The World Cup matches have had good ratings considering the time of day they are on. What we really don't go for is professional league soccer like the MLS or any of it's predecessors. When team USA is playing though, it does get attention. If we get into the final round or even (gasp) the championsip match it will get ratings that will make any Super Bowl proud.

BTW, only around 65% of Major League Baseball players are from the USA. We get a lot of players from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia, South Africa, Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc.

The US also has a gigantic youth soccer movement. The problem is when they get into their young teens, the best athletes gravitate towards the sports that pay big.

But Landon Donovan is a pretty top-rate player, so maybe you will see a few more youths sticking to soccer to be like him. Donovan is the first noticeable US soccer player I've seen in my lifetime.

'Major nation'? L0L Over a silly sporting naming system. Soccer is soccer. the arrogance that the world thinks soccer is theb best sport' simply because it's the 'most popular' world wide. There are plenty of things that are popular that aren't very good. Soccer is one of them.

It's a fun sport to play but just like baseball; it is so boring to watch. Following the winners and losers is fun and the drama in this WC espicially by the uppity European clubs is entetraining but trying to watch an actual game and actually enjoy it is hilariously coma inducing. And, it's not just the low scores as I love 1-0 games in hockey.

The bigotry of most of the world is hilarious to watch as well espicially when at the same time theyc ry about the US' supposed bigotry.

Grats to the Amerikans, and the South Koreans. And, HAHAHAHA to Team NK.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's fun that it's always the rest of the world being a bigot for Volourn and never him(/her?)self being a bigot in the first place.

Especially since no one went all 'football is the best sport in teh world!!111!' o:) .

maybe if we ignore him he'll start actually contributing to conversation and not arguments. I mean it hasn't worked for the last 5 years but who knows...Soccer or football or whatever doesn't interest me to much but any time the USA is playing I'll watch it.

Some excellent drama at the end of Australia-Serbia. Could've been 3-1 or 2-2.

I predict Serbian butts to be hurt for quite a while after this.

USA has a good chance to progress to the quarterfinals.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.