2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

Pretty exciting finish to both games, Ghana's advancement would've been stopped if Serbia had scored again vs Australia.

But in the end, Germany and Ghana advances.

To be honest I was expecting a bit more from Germany but who knows, maybe they're conserving energy for the rest of the cup.

"Especially since no one went all 'football is the best sport in teh world!!111!'"

Did you read Gorgon's post above mine? He didn't flat out say it but the tone says it all.

"Soccer or football or whatever doesn't interest me to much but any time the USA is playing I'll watch it."

Like i said above, watching soccer is boring (like baseball is for the most aprt); but finding out winners and losers plus the of the field drama is entertaining espicially in this WC.

My faves are US, SK, andm Australia.

"never him(/her?)self being a bigot in the first place."

Oh, i am a bigot. Towards bigots who hate or bash people simply because they come from certain places. I don't hate people because they come from x country sorry.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

'Major nation'? L0L Over a silly sporting naming system. Soccer is soccer. the arrogance that the world thinks soccer is theb best sport' simply because it's the 'most popular' world wide. There are plenty of things that are popular that aren't very good. Soccer is one of them.

It's a fun sport to play but just like baseball; it is so boring to watch. Following the winners and losers is fun and the drama in this WC espicially by the uppity European clubs is entetraining but trying to watch an actual game and actually enjoy it is hilariously coma inducing. And, it's not just the low scores as I love 1-0 games in hockey.

The bigotry of most of the world is hilarious to watch as well espicially when at the same time theyc ry about the US' supposed bigotry.

Grats to the Amerikans, and the South Koreans. And, HAHAHAHA to Team NK.

Well, it is called football. Soccer is what you lot made up because you already had a sport with that name, and yes it is or can be pretty boring to watch but the world cup is different because there is a whole secondary drama going on. The best sport in the world is whatever people think it is, this is the biggest show on earth and interesting mainly for that reason. If you want the best football that's probably the English or Italian league.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If you want the best football that's probably the English or Italian league.

I'd say english.

I actually haven't had the chance to watch much international football though, but it shouldn't be that difficult to have a less dramatic atmosphere and some more interesting matches than modern italian football.

On that matter, tomorrow we'll see if Italy is taking seriously this World Cup or if they gave everything they've got in 2006 and just want to try again in 2014.

I'm not getting my hopes high o:)

Well, it is called football. Soccer is what you lot made up because you already had a sport with that name, and yes it is or can be pretty boring to watch but the world cup is different because there is a whole secondary drama going on. The best sport in the world is whatever people think it is, this is the biggest show on earth and interesting mainly for that reason. If you want the best football that's probably the English or Italian league.

Actually I was originally calling it futbol, but Monte (who is English) was addressing the sport in the US and called it soccer, and I felt for the sake of continuity it was best to refer to it as soccer.

It's a pretty silly thing to get upset about. Everyone knows that it is the same sport no matter what you call it.

Guest The Architect

**** you Pim Verbeek, **** you referees, **** you mentally soft first performance vs. Germany, **** you weak ass can only score from penalties Ghana, **** you soft**** 1-0 win Germany, and **** you last minute USA win against Algeria. Bastards. Go Uruguay for semi-finals!

Interesting stuff from The Guardian

So far the last 16 looks like this:

Uruguay v South Korea

USA v Ghana

with the winners meeting in the quarters, and:

Germany v England

Argentina v Mexico

with the meeting in the quarters.

Assuming results go as expected today and tomorrow - always a dangerous thing to do - we could see:

Holland v Italy

Spain v Brazil

with the winners meeting in the quarters, and:

Paraguay v Denmark

Switzerland v Portugal

with the winners meeting in the quarters.

Notice how uneven the possible brackets towards the quarters are and can be.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

In order to make it easier for everyone, lets just call it "American Football" and "World Football". The only ones who do not understand the difference will be considered as twits.

I predict that the final score for the England-Germany game will be either 0-0 or 1-1, where the germans later win on the penalty-shootouts.

Also, I heard this on the Radio:

"The World Cup is quickly turning into a re-dramatization of World War II: The French capitulated very early. England and Germany is currently figting each other. The Americans didn't bother join until the very last minute. Now, we are waiting for Japan to explode....

....and the swedes are considered as neutral as they are not participating in this tournament."

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In order to make it easier for everyone, lets just call it "American Football" and "World Football". The only ones who do not understand the difference will be considered as twits.

I'm pretty sure the easiest way to differentiate is Gridiron Football (US Football) vs Association Football ("Soccer", "Football") that's already in use (and allows the further ability to distinguish between Australian Football ("Footy"), Rugby League Football and Rugby Union Football

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"In order to make it easier for everyone, lets just call it "American Football" and "World Football". "

Actually, referring to it as soccer as opposed to football does make it easy to know what one is talking about.

May SK and US advance.

P.S. "The best sport in the world is whatever people think it is"

No. That determines what the most popular sport in the world is. And, nobody is refuting the fact that soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Unless youa re gonna make the argument that Justin bieber is the best or one of the best singers, right? Or maybe Lady Gaga or Drake. L0L

Edited by Volourn

Let's do this the obvious way and call football football. You Yankees can sit locked up by yourselves and call hot fudge and soda football for all I care. I'm not pandering to you, you weirdos.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"You Yankees can sit locked up by yourselves and call hot fudge and soda football for all I care. I'm not pandering to you, you weirdos."

Why so hateful towards Amerikans? I'm not even one yet you are still bashing them. Weird. Also, I ain't pandering to you either. Soccer is soccer.

I can't ****ing watch Italy play. It's impossible. Watching all these grown men throw themselves at the ground and cry like little babies as soon as someone as much as look at them.. It makes me sick to my stomach. I hate Italy. They are ruining football as a sport.

Did anyone see that guy squirming like a maggot inside Slovakia's goal? Why the referee didn't card him for filming I'll never understand. Unbelievable.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"You Yankees can sit locked up by yourselves and call hot fudge and soda football for all I care. I'm not pandering to you, you weirdos."

Why so hateful towards Amerikans? I'm not even one yet you are still bashing them. Weird. Also, I ain't pandering to you either. Soccer is soccer.

What's soccer? Must be something they do in the colonies.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Was De Rossi even playing today? Christ, what an embarresment the Italian defence was.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy