2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

I can understand why that view might develop, but sorry, that's bollocks - invert that argument and think about why so few English talents play outside England.

I think you've missed the point of the argument.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Anyway, Germany rolling over Australia 2-0 at the moment - the referee's suddenly turned very biased and sent an Aussie off for no reason whatsoever, but really, the Germans are too good anyway.

I actually wonder if the friendly against our lot caught up with them there- anyone watching that would be amazed the Australians had more than 9 men on the field at the end of it and be expecting them to try and chop opponents feet off at the drop of a hat. Cahill was one of the lucky ones there iirc, not so lucky here as it was pretty soft even for a yellow.

I think you've missed the point of the argument.

Maybe. I think I've argued about that stuff so much there are all sorts of strawmen in my head. ;)

Guest The Architect

LOL we were smashed. I guess we know how the Italians felt in that last 16 match though with an unfair sending off. We're really ****ed now. So many people still living in 2006 over here, honestly thinking we were a chance to get a point. What the **** was Pim thinking. Cahill up front? Trying to catch Germany offside all the time? They cut through our slow, old defence like a hot knife through butter. Neill and Moore were atrocious, Emerton was the only one who played well, and even if Bresciano and Kewell get more than 60 minutes of match time, I think we'll lose to Ghana.

Re. Germany versus Oz.

Watching the smuggest sporting nation on Earth getting their arses handed to them so clinically is, indeed, one of lifes small pleasures.

Smuggest sporting nation in the world? LOL **** off, we're nothing compared to the arrogance of the Yanks and Pome's in international sport.

We are ****, but watching England, the most overrated football team on the planet, time and time again get their asses handed to them in the quarter-finals is, indeed, one of life's small pleasures.

Could even be a round of 16 exit against the Germans this time.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but we actually put money on an England USA draw. We just got the score wrong. We assumed England would be SO lacklustre they wouldn't score. 0-0.

In fairness to the Yanks I have to say they played with a good deal of technical skill, and showed plenty of energy and determination.

As usual England play with technical skill and fitness, but zero imagination and teamwork. Why in the name of Christ do we insist on this fantasy that we have such good strikers that we can push them up solo and expect them to score? We aren't that good, and I never remember us being that good.

I don't know what's at the heart of our failures. I used to think it was the players being half asleep. But they woke up a bit for the second half and were still awful.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think England was the better team, but the U.S had a good keeper.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Is it just me or would it be really funny to drop in a massive load of bees just before half time? No-one would know what was going on, as the bees and the screams would be masked by vuzus.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

lol @ Nippon

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy