The Nobel Peace prize goes to Barack Obama

Meshugger

So they've cashed in on the prestige of the reward, hoping to encourage peace. It's a one time deal, but hey if it works it works. I was never really into the nobel prizes myself, what with the long history of 'bad' choices.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

That missile defense system that Bush wanted to put in place was a bad idea from the get go. All it did was piss off the Russians, be way to expensive to build and maintain, and probably wouldn't have worked at all.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

This is actually a really good opportunity for Obama to look humble and wise by refusing the award. If played well, it could really help his popularity.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

They've tried using the award to "make friends" before and they'll try it again. Hopefully this scam backfires on them. Again.

Don't worry, it probably will.

I can just see the president speaking with the first lady in the living room; "Jeez baby, these morons desperately need a hero.."

J.

It could be because of of the dramatic cultural change that his presidency represents. 50 years ago the US was still having trouble desegregating schools, and now there is a black president. I imagine Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin would have also been in consideration if their sides had won, citing the fact that they are breaking down gender barriers.

I did hear a funny bit on the radio today about him having a good shot at the Cy Young award as well after he threw out the opening pitch earlier in the year.

"Jeez baby, these morons desperately need a hero.."

They do and hopefully he's up for the task .. it would be nice for one of the world's most powerful men to set a good example for once.

Fortune favors the bald.

It could be because of of the dramatic cultural change that his presidency represents.

Nope.

OSLO (AP) - President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to encourage his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

That missile defense system that Bush wanted to put in place was a bad idea from the get go. All it did was piss off the Russians, be way to expensive to build and maintain, and probably wouldn't have worked at all.

So you're a missile defense expert too?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Yeah that seems a little too political.. Obama may deserve it at some point, but not yet..
No. He won't. A US President is a United States President. Same as it ever was. We've come too far to have a president be a dove now.
He takes his place next to unequivocal proponents of peace and love like Yasser Arafat, Kissinger, Menachem Begin.
Fun Fact #2: Gandhi wasn't good enough.
Ghandi believed blacks were inferior to Indians and believed in an India where Indians and whites would walk all over them. Edited by lord of flies

Yeah that seems a little too political.. Obama may deserve it at some point, but not yet..
No. He won't. A US President is a United States President. Same as it ever was. We've come too far to have a president be a dove now.
He takes his place next to unequivocal proponents of peace and love like Yasser Arafat, Kissinger, Menachem Begin.
Ghandi believed blacks were inferior to Indians and believed in an India where Indians and whites would walk all over them.

Oh God, here it comes....

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ghandi believed blacks were inferior to Indians and believed in an India where Indians and whites would walk all over them.

Oh God, here it comes....

...just walking downt he street singing doo wah ditty ditty...

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I did hear a funny bit on the radio today about him having a good shot at the Cy Young award as well after he threw out the opening pitch earlier in the year.

I hear he's also in line for the Nobel Prize in economics for solving our unemployment and deficit spending problems and solving the housing crisis. Oh wait, he has only made those worse too. What the hell, give it to him anyway.

By the way, when can I expect my Pulitzer for the book I haven't finished writing yet?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Interesting, I didn't know that.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. >_<
Hey man, don't complain. You're getting off easy. Julius had to win a civil war before getting his triumph.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Surely going from war to peace is better than simply being peaceful?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Surely going from war to peace is better than simply being peaceful?
wha... who are you talking about? I hope that when you say "going from war to peace" you refer neither to Kissinger (whose involvement in the strategic bombing of Cambodia [which was HUGE scale, like greater than WW2 Japan IIRC] lead directly to the success of the Khmer Rouge and by extension the Vietnam-Cambodia war) nor to Obama (who has been stepping up military presence in Afghanistan).