The Nobel Peace prize goes to Barack Obama

Meshugger

Moscow has consistently said that the missile defense was a threat to their national security. Whether this is true or not is debatable, but they did perceive it as a threat.
Which is total bollocks. With the fall of communism, the Cold War nuclear standoff is gone. As long as Russia doesn't plan to swarm Europe with tank waves, they don't need to fear nuclear strikes, so their own need for a global retaliation capability is tenuous at best.

I'd say that what they really are worried about is the possibility that their strategic arsenal may be rendered obsolete by the missile shield. They would have to embark on the good ol' arms race again, in order to keep a credible nuclear deterrent. The last arms race bankrupted the USSR, so it's understandable they are reluctant to go at it again, and against the winner of the last one, no less. But old habits die hard and nobody likes losing their superpower status.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

What?

Russia's influence doesn't stem from their military might nowadays. It's their oil and gas what counts.

And the T-90 is a pretty good tank, btw.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

But the Japanese regime did want war. They invaded to Korea and Manchuria to 'protect' them from colonial powers, well knowing that that was exactly what they were themselves. Unless you buy into their propaganda, but I don't think any reasonably intelligent person ever has.

Yeah, they wanted war, but not with the United States. The US purposefully and knowingly provoked Japan into attacking it. You can argue that the provocation was justified, but you cannot argue that Japan's attack was unprovoked.

Moscow has consistently said that the missile defense was a threat to their national security. Whether this is true or not is debatable, but they did perceive it as a threat.
Then they should do something about Iran, instead of aiding and abetting them.

International diplomacy would be much easier if everyone had the game goals and outlook as the US. But they don

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Then they should do something about Iran, instead of aiding and abetting them.

International diplomacy would be much easier if everyone had the game goals and outlook as the US. But they don

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You make it sound like we were going to install offensive nuclear missiles, the system was purely defensive, and no where near sufficient to stop the Russian nuclear arsenal. What Russia really wanted to do was to show Poland and the Czechs they're still a force to reckon with, even though those countries joined NATO. Putin is going to try to restore the Russian Empire as far as the West lets him, and so far he doesn't have much of an opposition.

I think Putin was mostly wary that the missile 'defense' system would accidentally manage to malfunction (highly likely, since it wasn't made in Germany or Japan) & all those nice defensive rockets/missiles would come plummeting down on Russian cities.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

But the consequence of use is always there in the back of the decision makers' minds, that's the whole idea behind calling it the ultimate deterrent. It's why everyone wants them.

I don't think Johnson or Nixon would have be as meticulous in their political signaling, or been as reluctant to engage the north without it.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Because nuclear weapons aren't useful.
Not useful in the limited, theatre, strategic scales or not at all?

It's hard to argue that they aren't strategically useful, what with military doctrine of the second half of the 20th century growing around the concept of deterrence.

Just because they weren't used it doesn't mean they aren't useful. Fleet in being?

But the Japanese regime did want war. They invaded to Korea and Manchuria to 'protect' them from colonial powers, well knowing that that was exactly what they were themselves. Unless you buy into their propaganda, but I don't think any reasonably intelligent person ever has.

The US purposefully and knowingly provoked Japan into attacking it.

ROFLMAO

I'm not going to spoil the perfection of this hilarious statement by probing the rationale.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, they wanted war, but not with the United States. The US purposefully and knowingly provoked Japan into attacking it. You can argue that the provocation was justified, but you cannot argue that Japan's attack was unprovoked.

I know I'm going to regret this because engaging you in any serious discussion is the conversational equivalent of an out of body experience, but I betting you would be one of the ones to argue that the attack on Pearl Harbor was justified. I'm curious, do you think Nixon would have been justified in attacking OPEC nations in 1973? Or would Carter have been justified for attacking Iran in 1979?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I know I'm going to regret this because engaging you in any serious discussion is the conversational equivalent of an out of body experience, but I betting you would be one of the ones to argue that the attack on Pearl Harbor was justified. I'm curious, do you think Nixon would have been justified in attacking OPEC nations in 1973? Or would Carter have been justified for attacking Iran in 1979?

... or Bush for attacking Iraq in 2003.

*Ba-dum Tish*

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Because nuclear weapons aren't useful.

No. They aren't used, because the international community collectively opposes them, and goes all "how dare you" whenever they're even mentioned, to say nothing of used.

The US purposefully and knowingly provoked Japan into attacking it.

ROFLMAO

I'm not going to spoil the perfection of this hilarious statement by probing the rationale.

What Wals said.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

*Ba-dum Tish*

Apples and Oranges and you know it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

*Ba-dum Tish*

Completely different. Iraq was believed to have WMDs, and was known to be anti-US. Plus, we had just been attacked, and Hussein wasn't exactly unfriendly to al-Quaeda.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

So attacking Iraq was justified? :getlost:

This is getting more hilarious by the minute.

Not justified, different from what we were discussing.

Thomas Sowell

Completely different. Iraq was believed to have WMDs, and was known to be anti-US. Plus, we had just been attacked, and Hussein wasn't exactly unfriendly to al-Quaeda.

Iraq having WMDs was a an actual lie, Saddam had nothing to do with Al-Qaeda, and Iraq has never attacked the US. Also, the US's most dangerous enemy in the Middle East was and is Iran. The only power in the region capable of opposing Iran was Iraq, except of course, that after the invasion Iraq is now a hotbed for American hatred, with the Iraqi Shi'ites waiting to take control as soon as possible. So, in all likelihood, a few years, instead of there being one major country controlled by extremist, fundamentalist America hating Shi'ites there will be two countries: Iran and Iraq. Hooray for America.

So, not only was the Iraq invasion an unprovoked attack, it was also a really, really stupid and badly managed attack.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So attacking Iraq was justified? :getlost:

This is getting more hilarious by the minute.

I wouldn't say "justified" but I also wouldn't say "unprovoked."

Iraq having WMDs was a an actual lie, Saddam had nothing to do with Al-Qaeda, and Iraq has never attacked the US. Also, the US's most dangerous enemy in the Middle East was and is Iran. The only power in the region capable of opposing Iran was Iraq, except of course, that after the invasion Iraq is now a hotbed for American hatred, with the Iraqi Shi'ites waiting to take control as soon as possible. So, in all likelihood, a few years, instead of there being one major country controlled by extremist, fundamentalist America hating Shi'ites there will be two countries: Iran and Iraq. Hooray for America.

I highly doubt that Saddam never had any relation with Al-Qaeda. Israel, lest we forget, still exists, and, for the moment at least, can still oppose Iran. Iraq was never friendly with the US anyway, so no love lost there.

So, not only was the Iraq invasion an unprovoked attack, it was also a really, really stupid and badly managed attack.

I agree that it was badly managed, and probably in the long run not the brightest idea.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3