Best game themes

Purkake

Deus Ex is pretty good, but Shadow of the colossus wins hands down.

One more incredibly heroic one.

Honorable mention: Keiki Kobayashi of Ace Combat fame (AC Zero's OST is fantastic but AC6 is pretty good too), and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I think we should stick to theme songs, or everyone will have to gather a zillion OST, music video and trailer links. On a side note, I saw (and saved) a kickass PoP music video once, maybe I'll upload it tomorrow.

I think we should stick to theme songs, or everyone will have to gather a zillion OST, music video and trailer links. On a side note, I saw (and saved) a kickass PoP music video once, maybe I'll upload it tomorrow.

I agree, but I made an exception for myself just this once, because it's my thread :)

@Josh: your link fu is rusty.

Edited by Purkake

I'm surprised no one has brought up Daggerfall yet. Some of the best music ever in a RPG IMHO. For the iPod masses put off by MIDI files, unShackled hosted his own gorgeous rearrangements along with original score on Daggerfall Music Project site, all in MP3 format.

Winter city theme and the temple theme are my personal favorites, but who can forget DF's lovely shop theme?

Daggerfall also has

, but that's kinda cheating because you can pile up all the video game composers and still not touch the feet of Dvorak.

For those willing to try something different, the Asian free MMORPG Zu Online has some great musical moments. Although as one can expect from a low-budget free MMO, good scores are somewhat marred by cheap synthesizers.

Edited by Masterfade

World of Goo has some of the best theme music, the charms of every level is painted out through the music

little piece.

The Battlefield series has some great theme songs too, all made around the same melody..

and the new

with it's rather wacky theme.

Fortune favors the bald.

That was only slightly more interesting than the game it came from... And, no, that's not a compliment. -_-

If you want a good song from Doom listen to Darkness Dawning from The Dark Side of Phobos album (where you can get a much, much higher quality version of the song for free if you so desire). :p

EDIT: Here is, I think,

. Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

SoZ had generally awesome music.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I like the

and the
themes a lot (even if it makes me uncool here :ermm:)

Mass Effect also has some brilliant action tracks, which you apparently don't want me to link, anyway :lol:

I have some positive memories of the Icewind Dale soundtracks, I think I even had one of those on a cd. Apparently haven't ripped it, will have to check out next week when I get back home.

Also, the Enclave Restored theme from KOTOR2 is absolutely brilliant, but I can't even find a link for it to dare your disapproval to post it :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

had some pretty atmospheric dynamic music. I don't think the game has a main theme, either, as the music played in the menu isn't always the same and it's usually one of the idle variations of the outer systems themes.

Also, MGS2.

Mass Effect also has some brilliant action tracks, which you apparently don't want me to link, anyway :)
Self-censorship is the worst form of censorship. nono.gif

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.