Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Really? I find the city elf origin most interesting and the dalish elf one the most boring. I'm playing the noble dwarf first at any rate.

Do you have a link to the dwarven commoner article? I have read it, though I believe the story is 'pimp your sister to a nobleman.'

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

^ I'll try to dig it out, the dwarf slums feel like a sort of Ancient Roman plebian mob crossed with Mad Max. Branded faces, lives of abject poverty, violence and criminality. There's also a gladitorial combat back-story that has a seedy boxing-match fixing vibe to it.

It's as far as you can get from the Scottish-accented grumpy dwarf with a heart of gold cliche we usually have to suffer. Interestingly (and refreshingly), the dwarves all have strong American accents, personally I'd have made them all sound like they came from Brooklyn but I suppose that's too much to ask for. As long as they eschew the Fake-speare.

I'll probably be playing that one.

OTOH, the elves are still at-one-with nature emos. Personally, I think elves make good bad guys - intellectually brilliant fascists who live for a thousand years who would never find themselves under the human yoke. I'm thinking Elric of Melnibone rather than Dave's sob story.

And the art direction for the elves is a massive fail - they are human with point ears. I just don't get where Bio, who usually have strong art direction, dropped the ball with that one.

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

And the art direction for the elves is a massive fail - they are human with point ears. I just don't get where Bio, who usually have strong art direction, dropped the ball with that one.

Cheers

MC

City elves are basically human, living in human society as a second class citizen would of assimilated them. Dalish elves are the ones that should be completely different to humans.

However I do agree that the origin was meh, however I'm also of the same opinion of the dwarf origins, but this could possibly be because of my lack of interest in elves and dwarves.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

City elves are basically human, living in human society as a second class citizen would of assimilated them. Dalish elves are the ones that should be completely different to humans.

That's sort of the elf problem. They're adaptive; the more they interact with another race, the more they take on characteristics of the other race until there's nothing to distinguish them. BioWare put the city elves into human cities though, which is a mistake. If the audience saw city elves-who-are-really-dwarves and city elves-who-are-really-qunari, the Dalish stance (isolation in the wilderness) would make more sense. Or maybe it would just confuse people.

I thought it was a good idea, but BioWare has failed to express it in the advertizing so far.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'll play some sort of mage and then jump on over to an elf probably. Since I know I want to try all three races, I'll have the dwarf be whichever class I hadn't chosen and probably play him last. I don't mind the little runts, but I like being higher off the ground.

"Just checked out the 'City Elf' origins video.

It's not very good, is it?"

Hey, there are 6 origins. One cna't like them all. We all have preferences. I'm liking both the dwarven origins albeit I'm obvious extremely bias towards to begin with. L0L

Depending how the mage test scenario is set up, that could be interesting too.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Just checked out the 'City Elf' origins video.

It's not very good, is it?"

Hey, there are 6 origins. One cna't like them all.

why can't you like 'em all? if they is good, then there is no reason for you not liking one of 'em. is tough to imagine somebody liking or hating all six equal, but am not sure why you think is beyond reason to like all 6.

am not actual reading details on any origin as we wanna give da and bio a fair shot at impressing and surprising us. even so, if bio does their job well then we can expect to have six good origins, right? given fact that most people only play these games once, bio better win on each player's first choice... whichever that choice may be. otherwise they probable won't get no second or third shot at trying to dazzle or impress the average fan. heck, if first origin sucks there is a good chance even Gromnir's preternatural patience will be insufficient to compel us to try a second-choice origin.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That's exactly what I'm doing. I didn't even follow links for a while, but I've read a couple of things.

I think it's silly to say that "we can't like them all." Of course we can like them all, and I would think Bioware would want us to like them all. That aside, the more origins you craft, the more likely someone will find one they don't like. Nevertheless, it seems to me that folks will try the origin to which they are most drawn first. I mean, if you think elves are nothing but a bunch of pointy eared snobs, then you're probably not going to play them first.

I still don't like the elf angle, but they essentially look human with pointy ears as MoC says, and so I don't mind looking at them. That's really probably my problem with the dwarfves. I just think they tend to look homely. Find one that's not so hard on the eyes, and I'll play him. ...Or her. I'm a bisexual character creator.

I'm not playing elf, or human, so I guess that leaves dwarf.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

^ Not as awful as the City Elf origin, but still a bit.... meh.

The Dalish elves look exactly like City elves but they've got ink on their faces. They also carry comedy longbows that would require a 200lb pull even if the laws of physics allowed that shape of bow to actually flex (note the slightly sexist composite shortbows deployed by the elf females, which look slightly more feasible). I also want the patent for the Ferelden pneumatic steadi-harness system that allows all characters, whatever their size, to carry huge weapons completely straight on their backs.

The poor old humans wandering into the woods had shades of Deliverance about it, was half expecting Burt Reynolds in a wetsuit and firing a compound bow to rescue them :p For a game that wants to be dark and gritty, I also note how clean and antiseptic all the characters are. Except for the incessant blood spatters, the elves all shop at a baroque branch of Banana Republic.

At least this origin story looks like it might have a tiny bit of dungeoneering involved (gasp!) which gives it a head start.

So far I'd say that both the Dwarf origins and the Wizard origin are in the lead, the human noble in the meh-iddle and the elven ones flailing wildly at the back, weighed down by leaden cliche and impossibly large ranged weapons.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Dalish elves look exactly like City elves but they've got ink on their faces. They also carry comedy longbows that would require a 200lb pull even if the laws of physics allowed that shape of bow to actually flex (note the slightly sexist composite shortbows deployed by the elf females, which look slightly more feasible). I also want the patent for the Ferelden pneumatic steadi-harness system that allows all characters, whatever their size, to carry huge weapons completely straight on their backs.

You did notice that DA is a fantasy game, not a life in the medieval europe simulator?

But those huuge armors and weapons bother me too a little. Probably one of those things I forget in the first 30 min.

Edited by Slinky

LOL @ criticizing the game for unrealistic weapons.

And apparently dark and gritty means that characters should be dirty.

At least your other grievances have merit MC. These are you just looking to trash the game as much as you can. Are you going to be one of those types that is so jaded, you'll buy the game just to confirm to yourself how much you hate it?

The dalish elf origin is about as boring and generic as can be.

You're an elf. You quest to find a magic mirror. You pass out and wake up with strong, manly Duncan cradling you in his arms. You go back to the magic mirror. Oh noes! Dorkspawn! You join the Grey Wardens.

Even if you think it's a complete Braveheart rip off, 'human noble comes to have his way with the bride' is far more compelling than 'it's a magic mirror.'

You're an elf. You quest to find a magic mirror. You pass out and wake up with strong, manly Duncan cradling you in his arms.

I think I'm going to get nightmares tonight.

Why can't we criticize the ridiculously large weapons? They were much better in NWN2, Witcher and all the earlier IE games.

It's such a minor cosmetic issue. If one of your noteworthy concerns about the game is the size of the weapons while playing the game, it's probably doing something right.

The weapons are big. I noticed right away that the daggers seemed more like short swords. I never noticed again though. I was too busy playing the game.